Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2005 5:48:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 5:49:46 AM EDT by BeetleBailey]
They have gotten into the habit of driving through our yard which doesn't really bother me since I do it too, but it infuriates my wife because of you know, lack of respect and all that. So, last night in mid-burrito cram I hear them start up the truck and start to pull out, so I run out the front door and say,
"You're going to have to stop driving through our yard. We're trying to get our grass to grow back. I don't mean to upset you or anything, but if you could just stop it I would appreciate it."

These folks are at home 24/7 while we are gone to work/school. How do I stop worrying about my wife being attacked or possessions stolen because of our constant issues with these white trash?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:53:40 AM EDT
Two things that come to mind are a) installing a coin operated car wash, and b) mexican carry with a loaded G30.

Seriously, you've got to at least continue being civil and patient with them fo a little longer (before you start pouring sugar in their tank).

Friends come and go - but enemies are forever.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:55:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dolomite:
Two things that come to mind are a) installing a coin operated car wash, and b) mexican carry with a loaded G30.

Seriously, you've got to at least continue being civil and patient with them fo a little longer (before you start pouring sugar in their tank).

Friends come and go - but enemies are forever.

I think my CCW needs more cowbell...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:56:34 AM EDT
Neighbors suck
Put up a 8 foot fence
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:56:42 AM EDT
The answers obvious

DRAW DOWN!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:58:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 5:58:25 AM EDT by Hawker]
Why are people so paranoid about just having a polite conversation with their neighbors? Stop yelloing out the door at them and just go talk to them. geez
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:58:23 AM EDT
Landmines. Lots and lots of landmines. Big booms make people stop doing what you want them to stop doing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:02:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:03:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:06:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheTracker:
Neighbors suck
Put up a 8 foot fence

Tru dat!

I had male neighbors on both sides of my house. They would routinely walk through my back yard. I mentioned it to them ONCE, and about a week later they both walked through one evening as my wife and I were cooking dinner inside.

I had a wooden fence installed in 3 days. Needed to do it for the dog anyway. Shoulda done it earlier.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:07:07 AM EDT
Just do what everyone else does.

Call the police.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:08:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 6:13:03 AM EDT by BeetleBailey]

Originally Posted By BookHound:

Originally Posted By Hawker:
Why are people so paranoid about just having a polite conversation with their neighbors? Stop yelloing out the door at them and just go talk to them. geez

+1. Go talk to them in a nice way.

Might also want to put some large decorative rocks or something else not "tire friendly" around the property line.

Not sure where you are going with the CCW cowbell thing, but I would not advertise to a potentially hostile (or at least not very friendly) neighbor that you are carrying a firearm.

And for God sakes, move to a better place ASAP. Stop buying guns, ammo or other crap you do not NEED and save for a better home.

Dang it I HAVE walked over and had polite conversations with them. On amny occasionas. I have asked them politely to shut up their dogs ten or so times, stop yelling in their fornt yard in the middle of the night, stop leaving their vehicles parked in my yard overnight, etc. There comes a point where the politeness stops and the action has to begin.

We can't move yet because we have to wait until my wife graduates and gets a job after next semester. We have invested too much into this house (before the neighborhood went to hell), to flip it right now. Augh. Rock and a hard place. And a midterm tonight.

And to answer arowner's IM - yes my wife has her CCW permit, but she can't carry because she is student teaching at the elementary school the majority of the workweek.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:20:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:24:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:34:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
with the roblems you have you have a choice to make. be civil and continue to get run over but he douchbags that obviously have zero respect for you and your property, or deal with the problem. ie... when they act like shitheads call the cops to deal with them. when they park in your yard... TOW THEM. roofing nails work well for driving through your yard problems as well.

I've seen the roofing-nail trick firsthand. The others sound like good ideas, too.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:39:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 6:41:13 AM EDT by BeetleBailey]
I have seriously considered the roofing nails idea - but I can't lay them because they are LITERALLY on the front porch all day and all night long. It's like they make rotations. That's why I'm so nervous to cut off the eyes of those who see what goes on in the neighborhood all day long during the week, even if they are acting like asshats.

I may opt for the fence idea. I am going to the hardware store today to get those little driveway lights that will hinder them from atleast driving across our yard to pull out from our driveway.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:39:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:41:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:
I have seriously considered the roofing nails idea - but I can't lay them because they are LITERALLY on the front porch all day and all night long. It's like they make rotations.

Hey dawg, somebody gots to watch out fo' da po-po.......
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:41:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
Barking dogs gotta eat to...

TRG

Off the record, I've tried feeding them things to make them shutup. Didn't faze them
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:42:18 AM EDT

I have seriously considered the roofing nails idea - but I can't lay them because they are LITERALLY on the front porch all day and all night long. It's like they make rotations. That's why I'm so nervous to cut off the eyes of those who see what goes on in the neighborhood all day long during the week, even if they are acting like asshats.

I may opt for the fence idea. I am going to the hardware store today to get those little driveway lights that will hinder them from atleast driving across our yard to pull out from our driveway.

Let them see you putting the roofing nails in your yard, maybe they will decide not to take a chance and stop driving through.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:42:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
with the roblems you have you have a choice to make. be civil and continue to get run over but he douchbags that obviously have zero respect for you and your property, or deal with the problem. ie... when they act like shitheads call the cops to deal with them. when they park in your yard... TOW THEM. roofing nails work well for driving through your yard problems as well.

I've seen the roofing-nail trick firsthand. The others sound like good ideas, too.

Roofing nails? Run those heavy-duty deck screws through a thick board, sharpen the tips (grind the first few threads off) and then bend, or cut off the drive ends. When those babies go into the tire, they are a bitch to remove as the board and tire are now one. It's dangerous as hell to have them lying in a yard, but....
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:44:51 AM EDT
If this "stinger" does not work.....

Then try this "stinger"......

Taffy
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:46:11 AM EDT
How about a galvanized steel fence set in concrete with electric wires running out from it? Once you build it it's basically matinee free. No need to paint or replace for a very long time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:47:09 AM EDT
Bettle, you are feeding the wrong things, try antifreeze mixed hamburger. Problem solved!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:48:13 AM EDT
Time to get Medieval on 'em.

Buy some Garden Gnomes, maybe some of those concrete donkeys....sprinkle throughout the yard.

You know what to do.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:49:10 AM EDT
Ive had similar issues -
Actually - I had a neighbor steal my TV right out of my apartment . . .called the police - They "searched the residence" - and couldnt find it (like they would even be able to spot my tv) Bastard probably had it all setup in his entertainment center and said "i bought that awhile ago"

I had the HARDEST time not going and KICKING the SHIT out of him . . . I couldnt prove for sure it was him - plus i was in the middle of moving anyway . . . . I still think i should broke in one day while he was gone - just to see for myself . . . and hes a pot head . . . . .. . MAN now that im talking about this again . . . im pissed
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:50:22 AM EDT
i opted for the fence. took months for them to finnally get me the "required paoerwork" back from them- then it was 6' fence along their side (8') not allowed
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:52:02 AM EDT
The roofing nails would just cause you all kinds of problems with people like you describe. Just put up a fense and the problem ends.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:52:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Let them see you putting the roofing nails in your yard, maybe they will decide not to take a chance and stop driving through.

Exactly. It's your yard. You can lay nails wherever you want. No need to be sneaky about what you do to your own property.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:53:53 AM EDT

Well, the problem with the fence is that our property is very long, but very narrow. There is a huge Oak that sits right on the property line. So in order to properly set a straight fence I would have to cut off like 1/4 of our front yard, thus giving it to the neighbors. And there is no way to cut this tree down.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:54:42 AM EDT
How about a little landscaping so it does not look like a road any more or kantrips.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:55:43 AM EDT
Drywall screws. Inner sidewall. Even better if you can chop the heads off.

Buck lure. Medical syringe. Car window gaskets.

After having one or another asshole neighbor for as long as I can remember, I can honestly say that the most satisfying acts of vengeance are those that are apparently visited by fate. "Why no neighbor bob, first I heard of them termites.. God must dislike you."
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:57:27 AM EDT
I had the same prob with my neighbor, actually his fat-assed daughter, but, his house, his resposonbility. I asked them once to stop. After the next time it happened, I put up a barrier of sticks, of the just-fell-out-of-my-tree variety, poked into the ground. It looked ugly as hell. But they didn't drive thru my yard anymore. Heck, they even threw them away after 6 mos.

When I first moved into the house, the then underage girl would have a party when mom-n-dad went away for the weekend. Some of the empties always wound up in my yard. The first time, I threw them back over the fence. The second time, I bagged them up, took them next door, gave them to her mom and told her about the beer-n-pot parties the daughter was having when they were away. That was the end of the parties.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:00:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

Buck lure. Medical syringe. Car window gaskets.

Skunk cover scent works better.

crap, this thread is on it's way to being locked for COC violations.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:00:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dracster:

When I first moved into the house, the then underage girl would have a party when mom-n-dad went away for the weekend. Some of the empties always wound up in my yard. The first time, I threw them back over the fence. The second time, I bagged them up, took them next door, gave them to her mom and told her about the beer-n-pot parties the daughter was having when they were away. That was the end of the parties.

Good one.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:10:32 AM EDT
been there too, bro. had the neighbor stuff - like a scene out of the Burbs!

we had a couple of dope dealin kids across the street - smartass attitudes, fast cars in the residential area, police couldn't seem to get a handle on it, parent encouraging son to "git jiggy" with my neighbors daughter in front of us, etc. etc.

unfortunately, it will get worse before it gets better regardless of what you do - fence, whatever.

under no circumstances threaten them or be anything other than polite. what you do on your own property is your business, as long as its lawful. if you step on to theirs to discuss anything with them, video tape it ( thats what we did) or always have a witness with you. trash always flops all over your stuff but wants to sue or press charges if you even mash their grass down. they are usually masters of the "woe is me and looky what he done to poor pitiful me" scene.

the addition of concrete statuary or landscaping boulders may be the way to go. or just driving fence posts close enough together that they cannot drive thru them.
also, thorny plants such as pyracantha (they don't call them firethorns for nothing), trifoliate orange, yucca, etc. can keep foot traffice down some.

noise complaints with the local police may help with the dogs - poisoning animals can lead to some bad juju.

blocking their path with obstacles is a start and probably a must - if they tear it up..destruction of private property.

and be vigilant - they may attempt to antagonize you more directly if you start shutting them off and they are even smart enough to realize you are doing it.

for us, we didn't want to harass them and engage in a tit for tat exchange - we just wanted them gone or isolated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:15:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By machaira:

for us, we didn't want to harass them and engage in a tit for tat exchange - we just wanted them gone or isolated.

+1, and thanks for the advice. Again, I'm trying to take this as calmly as possible, since they are home 10x more than we are.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:27:12 AM EDT

Well, the problem with the fence is that our property is very long, but very narrow. There is a huge Oak that sits right on the property line. So in order to properly set a straight fence I would have to cut off like 1/4 of our front yard, thus giving it to the neighbors. And there is no way to cut this tree down.

build a treated wood fence. set posts on each side of the tree as close as you can without damaging the tree. cut a treated board with about 2 inches of free space that matches the contour of the tree. just attach to each post, if the tree grows out to the boards just take a saw and recut.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:28:06 AM EDT
Just be descreet about it since they're home all the time. Start fixing other stuff around the outside of the house and eventually move into fixing the yard up. They'll think you're doing home improvements, not intentionally trying to keep them out of your yard. Make sure they see you fixing the gutters, tilling the land, whatever, it'll work without causing confrontation or seeming intentional.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:49:34 AM EDT
uh i am surpised no one ask what the fuck they are driving across your yard in the first place!

Matt
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:59:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RuskEnt:
uh i am surpised no one ask what the fuck they are driving across your yard in the first place!

Matt

+1. It isn't their yard, where do they get off driving through it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:02:55 AM EDT
I think spike strips are in order.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:11:38 AM EDT
landscape timbers across where they drive, or a felled tree in the same spot.

stake the timbers into the ground....probably cost you about 20-30 bucks to stop this.
Make them two high and maybe even make a flower box out of them...with some nice reinforcing steel sticking up for those vines to grow up on in the flower bed. Bet it stops.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:39:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 11:39:35 AM EDT by BeetleBailey]

Originally Posted By RuskEnt:

Matt

I think it is literally because they are simply ignorant. They don't have the mental capacity to stop and think for one second, 'now before I do this, how will the others around me feel about it'. The whole driving through the yard thing is simply the tip of the iceberg of their antics since they have moved in.

So I installed solar lights up the side of our driveway, if I come home and they have been plowed over or through, you all will not be hearing from me for a while

p.s. the timbers idea is pretty good, I may consider that
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:47:57 AM EDT
I certainly hope you have an alarm system and a safe, too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:10:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:13:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 1:14:32 PM EDT by BeetleBailey]

Originally Posted By Jon3:
www.northcal.com/images/1x6%20Hill%20and%20Dale%20Fence.JPG

= $$$

which is directly and inversly cancelled by:

(college expenses)

= $$$
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:07:13 PM EDT
had a similar issue also,, but my property was a triangle that 2 neighbors just drove over to save .010 seconds in getting home. leaving me a rutted, soggy mess. I talked, left notes, met them in the drive, yada yada,,,,,,, i ended up using 3 timbers pyrimid style nailed together, i then drove large nails into the top one 2" apart leaving about 2" sticking out, then i cut off the nail heads with a bolt cutter. This left enough cutting edge of the nail to puncture a tire but dull enough a kid wasnt going to nail his foot on one..i then staked them into the ground using steel tent pegs and big wire staples.
i then planted trailing, low ground cover and let it grow. Idiots only ran over it once....each.
i then drove the nails in all the way, didnt want any kids getting hurt and never had another problem..neither one of the yahoos was gonna say they ran over my landscaping and got flats.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:57:14 PM EDT
Damn Beet, IM me yer addy, I wanna drive by and see these shitstacks for myself. And scowl at them. Maybe they will think you have "associates".
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:23:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 11:23:47 PM EDT by COLE-CARBINE]
I feel your pain... good luck selling that place if those turds still live next door.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:26:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jon3:
www.northcal.com/images/1x6%20Hill%20and%20Dale%20Fence.JPG

= $$$

which is directly and inversly cancelled by:

www.law.memphis.edu/admissions/images/diploma.jpg
(college expenses)

= $$$

Ok, here's a fence more in line with the student poor:

Ugly, but stands in the way just the same.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top