Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/20/2003 6:57:48 AM EDT
Damn. Bucking to displace Kalifornia for the title "nanny state". One moron parent who can't keep track of his kid and God knows how many $$$ it will eventually cost, or how many sites will just say "fuck it" and close. Shit like this pisses me off until I can't see anything but red. [url]http://www.dailyrecord.com/news/articles/news9-bleachers.htm[/url] Mendham tot's fall sparks fight for bleacher safety Lawmakers introduce bill for stricter standards By Sarah N. Lynch, Daily Record MENDHAM - When Brian Graham went to his 7-year-old's track meet in Randolph on April 17, he expected nothing more than a day of friendly competition. What he did not expect was for his 3-year-old son, Adam, to fall through a gap in the trackside bleachers and suffer a punctured lung and a broken leg. Adam spent eight weeks in a cast that extended from the toes of his left foot to his chest. "I was up on the bleachers with the kids," Graham, of Mendham, said Thursday. "At one point, I looked over and I saw my 3-year-old fall. It was pretty terrifying." In response to Adam Graham's near-fatal fall, Republican state Sens. Walter Kavanaugh and Martha Bark introduced a bill on Monday calling for stricter standards for bleacher safety. If passed, the New Jersey Bleacher Safety Act will require public and privately owned sports arenas, including parks, gymnasiums, auditoriums and stadiums, to replace or retrofit bleachers to prevent accidents, regardless of when they were built. Currently, New Jersey abides by New Jersey State Uniform Construction Code standards; however, they are applicable only to newly constructed bleachers and do not affect existing structures. The new bill would require all retrofitted bleachers to abide by U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission guidelines, which recommend that bleachers have no more than 4 inches of space between the seats and the floorboard or between guardrail components. In the bleachers where Adam Graham fell, the gap between the seats and floorboards was 161/2 inches. "One of the worst things about Adam's accident is that it could have been avoided," Kavanaugh said in a news release. "In order to protect the welfare of New Jersey's children, we must act now to ensure that bleachers throughout our state are safe." If passed, Kavanaugh's bill will make New Jersey the second state in the nation to pass bleacher safety legislation. Minnesota is the only state that regulates bleacher safety. The new bill specifically mentions Adam Graham, citing his accident as the catalyst. "At this point, I'm just trying to get something good out of something bad that has happened," Brian Graham said. "Ultimately, I'd like to see this bill on a federal level." "In the past 20 years, 10 people including four under the age of 15, have died after falling from bleachers," Bark said in a press release. "What happened to Adam should be a wake-up call to all of us."
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:02:54 AM EDT
Must fight to control "assault bleachers" Noone needs bleachers that hold more than 10 people. They only serve to entertain large numbers of people very quickly. Soon there will be "smart" bleachers that will only let authorized users sit down...80% of the time. There is no legit. reason for private [s]subjects[/s] citizens to own such bleachers. Do it for the children
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:04:46 AM EDT
Yep, that's us. In this state you can even get locked up for lighting a sparkler on the 4th. of July! Great huh??
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:17:14 AM EDT
How about not letting your 3 year old son crawl around on the bleechrs in the first place. Having raised three of my own, allowing them to run unchecked is out of the question. I now have a one year old grandson, and be assured, grangpa and grandma will watch him like a hawk.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:22:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:09:58 PM EDT
Well the fact that it is summer, NJ should start a program to drain the Atlantic Ocean and all of its tributaries.Someones drowning may be prevented. Do it , do it for the children.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:49:26 PM EDT
I wonder what a set of pre-ban bleachers will go for? My wife's uncle in NJ was forced to sell his collection of WWII Thompson SMGS a few years back to keep the ATF from visiting all the time. I've always thought he was a big pussy for not keeping them and moving away...
Top Top