Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2001 10:56:25 AM EDT
Student may face felony charge over unloaded BB gun

By CHRISTINE REID
Scripps Howard News Service
April 08, 2001

BROOMFIELD, Colo. - A 16-year-old high school student may be charged with a felony after school officials found an unloaded BB gun in his car.

The student, a sophomore at Legacy High School, was released to his parents after the gun was found Wednesday under the seat of his car parked at
Legacy the school.

The BB gun was discovered shortly after 9 a.m. when the boy parked his car in a lot not designated for student parking, police reported. An adult monitor
at the school told the student to report to the office and then searched his car without his permission, according to reports. She reported finding what she
thought was a real handgun to police. It turned out to be an unloaded BB gun.

The student told authorities he used it to target shoot at cans and had forgotten it was in his car.

Prosecutors informed police the charge was a felony and the student must appear in juvenile court.

"It is a deadly weapon by definition," said Adams County District Attorney Bob Grant.

Punishments that could be levied against the student range from several years in a locked-down juvenile corrections facility to a deferred sentence with
probation.

The school official who found the gun was within her legal limits to search the student's car without permission, said Susan Carlson, director of public
affairs for Adams 12 Five Star Schools.

"Cars parked on school parking lots are treated as a locker in terms of search and seizure," she said.

District policy allows for that type of search when there is "reasonable suspicion" that something not allowed on school grounds is contained inside.
Carlson was unsure what circumstances led the Legacy official to become suspicious.

The student also faces disciplinary action by school officials. According to Adams district policy the infraction is grounds for exclusion, which could mean
either suspension or expulsion.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like Broomfield as an idiot for a District Attorney.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
A plastic bag can be a deadly weapon if used correctly.  What a piss poor state this country is in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:

"It is a deadly weapon by definition," said Adams County District Attorney Bob Grant.

View Quote

Excuse me?!?!?

HaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#5]
[left]Yep a handful of students fucked everyone over! a few students cannot take a little teasing unleashed a total antigun frenzy! Ban! Ban! Ban! wow we can solve everything by  banning.[/left]  
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Parking in the wrong space is a valid reason to coduct a search?
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I bet that guy wont be leaving his car doors unlocked any time soon.  Damn PC bullsh*t.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Nowadays, personal "rights" have been traded for  security in public schools, and it seems to be working, right!

"He who gives up liberty for security deserves neither"
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
At one time water guns were expected during the summer.

Today violent felony for possession of gun shaped water squirting device.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Believeable.  BB gun "accidents" have to be reported to the police if requiring any treatment.  Hunting accident?  Yes, the trigger-puler will probably be arrested.  Drop a gun on your foot?  Yes, that too.  But drop a hammer and no questions asked.

I wonder when knives will become this feared?  
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
"Cars parked on school parking lots are treated as a locker in terms of search and seizure," she said.
Hmmmm...but the lockers are school property, whereas a personal vehicle is not.  And if the vehicle was registered in a parents name....ooooh, I smell a whopper of a lawsuit.  I too, am interested in what the adult monitors "reasonable suspicion" was.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2001 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The shit is getting so bad in this country,(what our government is doing to its citizens) that I'm actually becoming afraid to watch the news.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Missilecop, can you please explain to me the legal reasons for a lawsuit if the car is registered under the parents name?  I understand why common sense wise, but not legally wise.

Thanks,
MM14
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#14]
i would eat a bowl full of my own shit if i was charged and arrested for possessing a concealed unloaded BB gun.

its the easy availability of these so called unloaded BB guns that cause rampant crime in this country. our kids would be safer if we would just ban all of these dangerous instruments of death.

Zero-tolerance= Zero-thought

we will not tolerate intolerance[:D]

silly lib out...
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
At one time water guns were expected during the summer.

Today violent felony for possession of gun shaped water squirting device.
View Quote

Heh heh, The last week of high school every year we all brought waterguns to school and squirted each other during class breaks. It was a nice break in routine that let us know we would soon be FREE for 3 months. Mustn't do that now...

Link Posted: 4/9/2001 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i would eat a bowl full of my own shit if i was charged and arrested for possessing a concealed unloaded BB gun.

its the easy availability of these so called unloaded BB guns that cause rampant crime in this country. our kids would be safer if we would just ban all of these dangerous instruments of death.

quote]

ewwwwwwwwwwww

now that would be a sight to see!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#18]
WALDO: flamethrower's are regulated they are on the bottom! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#19]
BE CAREFULL!!! Don't posess a McDonalds straw and goya beans,you can get 10 to 20 parole early if you use a sippy cup!
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#20]
i was going to start my very own thread but since someone brought up the topic of bb guns....i'll ad to it.

on the weekends i work selling (of all things GUNS, the horror) guns. most of the people are pretty decent. so, i get in saturday morning at 8:00AM and there is a note for me, ALL guns MUST have a trigger lock, and yes, this means even BB guns. i thought, this is getting nuts.

to top this off, everyone should also know, to purchase a BB gun, you need a state of new jersey fire arms id card. the same id card you need to purchase an ar. glad to know that BB guns are in the same class as a BB gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#21]
It may be considered a deadly weapon but puddles of water have killed more kids than bb guns. Hey, if bb guns are deadly weapons then they should go after the dealer for selling the weapon to him, I'm sure he didn't produce the proper id or go through a NICS background check
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#22]

I guess this means I'm a felon for converting my paintball gun to shoot fully automatic...........
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I got shot in the knee with a bb gun when i was 7. That hurt like hell.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I got shot in the head with a BB when I was a youth.  High School concellor said I could only be a firefighter due to my haed injury and the fact that I can no lomger speell!
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#26]
oneshot1kill:

if your son learns how to use and "play" with one of those dangerous "toys" he will grow up to become a mean-spirited right-winger or commit a multiple homocide

sarcastic thinking lib...

note:nothing against you or your son, just venting on the absurdity of this whole affair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top