Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2003 2:09:05 PM EDT
Most of us live in places where there is violent crime, certainly, but it is kept in check by the least aggressive police posture necessary. More radio patrol cars on duty in certain areas after dark, gang units, street crime units, etc. Some, notably those in and adjacent to our southern border and very low income areas, would no doubt like to see increased federal or local police pressure on the criminal element in their midst so that the law abiding can go about their business with no more than the standard “condition yellow” necessary for continued life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

What if organized criminal gangs became more bold and aggressive, along the lines of gangs in Sierra Leone in the early 1990s? Would more aggressive and proactive police activity become a necessity to protect life, liberty and pursuit of happiness? Would a more authoritarian stance on the part of local and federal authorities be justified by activity we’ve only seen on the small scale here in America so far?

Or would you just agree to pay higher homeowner’s association dues so they can gate off your community and put armed guards on the duty around the clock? Would the sight of your city police or, for those in a more rural setting, of Border Patrol officers or sheriff’s deputies patrolling in pairs or fire teams with automatic rifles be bothersome?

I’m not talking about an imposition of martial law here, but a more visible and beefed-up role for the police in response to a domestic criminal element. If you don’t think this sort of response is justified or necessary, what measures would you suggest?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Kennesaw, GA comes to mind......

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats bad customer service, and upsets the natives and the media....

[%|]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
To add to Natez's post, both happen naturally.  Over the years I watched Houston's increase in crime both create a more proactive aggressive police department to combat the crime as well as the populace locking themselves behind iron bars.  

We as a society will not tolerate giving up our civil liberties but in doing so must accept some of the responsiblility for our own security.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]

I don't believe we will ever see a more pro-active police presence than we have now. Roving squad of fire teams will never be allowed by such as ACLU and other groups bent on keeping thier people, you know, thugs, thieves rapist ect. on the street.

The only way to ever keep the streets safe for mom and pop and the kids will be when the police job is to pick up bodies. When the average citizen in not afraid to protect themselves. As the system is now, you defend yourself at the risk of jail and loss of your life savings and home.

We have been conditioned as a society to hide behind or bars and wait for the cops to come protect us, praying they will at least show up.

If the gang actions like you spek of ever starts, the only way to stop will be blood running in the streets. but thank the Lord it will never happen because the ones in the gangs make too good a living peddeling drugs and with the welfare us working stiffs support them with. But then, I could be full of sh*&^%... fullclip
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought that there were already arwas in L.A. that the police won't venture into. At least without serious back up. I've seen video were a simple traffic stop in a certain neighborhood results in 15 or 30 'cousins' stream out of their dwellings and begin to verbally harass the officers.. Then a bottle gets thrown....

some of those groups seem to be clocking some serious ends.
What are they buying with all that tax free cash??
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If illegal aliens wore helmets and carried weapons, it would constitute the largest foreign army that had ever invaded another sovereign nation in the history of the world.

100 years ago, they came across the border, did their labor and went home after the season was over.

Now they don't.

What changed?

The Welfare State was created, and they didn't need to go home. They brought home with them!

Eric The(Bienvenidos)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

I've never met a "Wet" that wanted to take over anyhting. They just want the "American Dream".
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top