Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2001 12:50:46 PM EDT
The cable guy came over today to work on our connection.  He saw some  of my gear and asked me if I had served.  I told him that I had gone to VMI, Marine Corps option... he then told me that he used to fly f-15Es in the Air Force.  I knew he was full of shit as soon as he said it.  He told me that he got out of the air force over 8 years ago because his wife was upset that he was always away.  He also said that he went on lots of bombing missions in desert Storm.  This guy couldn't have been more than 30-32 years old!  How could he have been an aviator in Desert Storm if he is so damn young???  He might have been a ground crewman, but a pilot, an officer with a college degree... no way! And now he fixes cable???  It doesn't make sense... his stories about Desert Storm were pretty outrageous as well... I wanted to laugh... I could have tested him, but it was so obvious that I didn't want to put him on the spot and cause a problem in my parents home... I'm sure he'll get his someday...
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I met a guy in TX & another at the Tulsa gun show. Both like that, making claims of being Seals.  Both seemed to be less than truthful!

Seems to be a lot of these wannabees walking around.  You should have called him on it or asked a few questions to make him feel uncomfortable.  He might stop.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
What I don't get is what do these losers have to gain by telling strangers this? You're a SEAL? Flew F-15s? Great, so when does my cable come on, you butt-crack?
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been said that there were more people claiming to be at Battle of Gettysburg than the number of actual participants.  So nothing new here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
There must be about 500,000 active and retire SEALs out there, because I swear I've met at least 10 at gunshows and various other locations.

Not to mention all the fellows who have a brother/uncle/cousin/friend/wife that used to be a SEAL.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Some longhair was talking the talk to me about his being a Ranger.  He asked my rank, and when I replied Sergeant, he snapped a salute.  Figured I could safely string him along after that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
A dad of one of my friends was a SEAL, or whatever they were called in Vietnam. He won't talk about it though. When I asked him about it once he just said that some of the stuff that he has seen that no civilized person should ever have to witness. I've seen a few pictures that he has stashed away (without his knowledge) and I believe it. One of the nicest guys I know. I would have never guessed he was even in the military if someone hadn't told me.

Michael
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A dad of one of my friends was a SEAL, or whatever they were called in Vietnam. He won't talk about it though.
View Quote

That seems to be a tell-tale sign of a true veteran.  A friend told me of a tunnel-rat who had steadfastly refused to talk about the details of his service.  Maybe when they get as old as WWII veterns now they'd open up more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top