Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 10:04:08 AM EDT
Severe rioting in Kiev the last couple of days. Three policemen killed by "Svoboda" demonstrators objecting to a new law by the Ukrainian parliament granting further autonomy to the eastern provinces. (This autonomy law was part of the Minsk cease-fire deal with Russia, which has been mostly honored through its violation.)

I'm surprised this hasn't been a big issue here on GD.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm very curious to see the Russian influence on demonstrations there.
They have really fucked that country up on several levels
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

The demonstrators in Kiev are anti-Russian. These are right-wing Ukrainian nationalists, who want closer ties with western Europe. The ironic thing is that EU membership (which is their long-range goal) works against national independence. Ukraine has the misfortune of being in an untenable geostrategic position. It's never been truly independent. It's always been dominated by one or another of its neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The demonstrators in Kiev are anti-Russian. These are right-wing Ukrainian nationalists, who want closer ties with western Europe. The ironic thing is that EU membership (which is their long-range goal) works against national independence. Ukraine has the misfortune of being in an untenable geostrategic position. It's never been truly independent. It's always been dominated by one or another of its neighbors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This. They want the Russians out. Many of them likely lost someone they knew during the "Separatists-Not-Russians" invasion. If they want Russia gone, I support them in their efforts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Polska stronk.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top