Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2013 9:54:40 AM EDT
Employers must make changes that make it easy for mothers to continue to provide breast milk for their babies after the mother returns to the workplace (Affordable Care Act, P.L. 111-148, Sec. 4207). Specifically, an employer is required to provide a reasonable break time for a nursing mother to express breast milk for a child until the child is one year old, and provide a place, other than a bathroom, that the employee may use for expressing milk. The place provided must be free from intrusion by coworkers and the public and be shielded from others' view.
The employer is not required to compensate an employee for any work time spent on the break. Employers with fewer than 50 workers do not have to comply with the new requirements if doing so would cause an undue hardship by causing the employer significant difficulty or expense when considered in relation to the size, financial resources, nature, or structure of the employer's business

ETA:  The part in bold, that's the important aspect.   Many businesses will not be able to accommodate without building extra space.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Lol.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Are employers required to allow mothers to come to work with their 1 yr olds? Fuck!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#3]

does anyone else think that maybe somebody should have read that turd?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are employers required to allow mothers to come to work with their 1 yr olds? Fuck!
View Quote

you can pump at work and pack it home... lots of ladies at work do it
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Make it harder financially and logistically to employ women? Fine, business owners will just hire men.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure most of that was already a requirement pre-obamacare.

ETA:  Apparently not.  I'm still going to have a hard time getting worked up over this one.  Especially compared to almost any other part of that turd of a bill.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

does anyone else think that maybe somebody should have read that turd?
View Quote

Ya pretty much.  Everyone who voted to pass it needs recalled, censure and tried for high crimes against the American public.

My last employeer allowed a sow to use the break room to pump her utters for her kid, only problem was she used it as an excuse to take many long extended breaks and when she did actually pump she got her sow juices all over hell and back.  So fucking foul.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
More neat stuff.  Small Employer Insurance Credit

The Affordable Care Act added IRC Sec. 45R that provides a small employer health insurance credit to encourage small employers to pay a portion of their employees' health insurance costs. Small employers (for-profit or tax-exempt) that meet the eligibility requirements are given a credit to help offset the employer's cost of providing insurance coverage for its employees.

The credit has two phases. In the first phase, applicable for tax years beginning in 2010-2013, eligible small employers (ESEs) that purchase health insurance for their employees through a qualifying arrangement are eligible for the credit. In the second phase, beginning in 2014, ESEs who purchase coverage through a state insurance marketplace's Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) are eligible for the credit for up to two years. Therefore, certain small employers may be eligible for the tax credit for a total of six years [i.e., four years for phase one (2010-2013) and an additional two years beginning in 2014].

I'm sure this will get small employers to buy insurance.  6 years of credit?  And they wonder why small businesses are not taking this credit.  DUH
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone at all in congress know what is in that bill and how it is going to screw businesses?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Does anyone at all in congress know what is in that bill and how it is going to screw businesses?
View Quote

No

They all should be on trial for dereliction of duty for voting on a bill they didn't read.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#11]
What specifically is your issue with allowing a new mother unpaid breaks and a clean place to pump breast milk for future feedings while she is at work and her child is elsewhere?

Would you prefer she didn't work so you could bitch about the FSA?

Do you actually have any thoughts on this or was this the only way you could think to get Obama into a thread title without actually putting forth any real effort at critical thinking?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#12]
My place has had "mother rooms" for years. Basically rooms that have locks. Have no idea what they look like inside . Even have little lights over the doors that come on so you know when someone is in there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#13]
My place of work already does this.  This one chick had a baby and they let her pump in a spare office.  It's not that big a deal really and I would think most businesses wouldn't have an issue with it.  Apparently some do if Bongocare is mandating it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought this was already law.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#15]
most employers already do this.. not getting upset over it. moms need to pump.. Of all the shit to freak out about. they even say the employer is not required to pay for her break times just provide the break time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Jeez........why not just say that mother's can bring thier chillen' to work and take a break in an employer provided pvt breakroom whenever they wanna feed the baby?

Not that I think that it's a good idea, mind you.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

ETA:  Apparently not.  I'm still going to have a hard time getting worked up over this one.  Especially compared to almost any other part of that turd of a bill.
View Quote

Yeah, I agree.  If I read the OP correctly, then the employee is expressing milk off the payroll.  The mother of my daughter breastfeed for a long time, saved us a bunch of money by not having to buy so much formula.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#19]
You do realize most mothers that do pump at work are trying to do the best for their babies and still make a living.

FSA don't have to pump, they get baby formula for free.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Never saw wasted space in any office I worked in or managed. In NYC rents can be $50+ per sq foot. So an employer has to find or make space fo this, insane.
Get in the supply closet and pump it out or put a curtain at the entrance to the cubicle
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What specifically is your issue with allowing a new mother unpaid breaks and a clean place to pump breast milk for future feedings while she is at work and her child is elsewhere?

Do you actually have any thoughts on this or was this the only way you could think to get Obama into a thread title without actually putting forth any real effort at critical thinking?
View Quote

Hey slick, I work in Tax.  I posted this because I wanted to disclose another part of the bill that MANDATES something.  Yes, some are already doing their best to accommodate.  But if some places say, "yeah, you can use the bathroom, no problem," well, now they will have to find some other area. If they don't have one, they will incur a cost for a "special area."

I don't have an issue with letting someone pump.  The issue is the extra potential cost to the employer.  Is that enough analysis for you, professor?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because every business in america isnt a fucking office building.  Try dealing with this in a fast food restaurant dumbass.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, I agree.  If I read the OP correctly, then the employee is expressing milk off the payroll.  The mother of my daughter breastfeed for a long time, saved us a bunch of money by not having to buy so much formula.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wife interviewed for a job the day after discharge with our first (one day in the hospital)........she had to pump for a while after.    This was at a small engineering and fabrication firm.     She got the job and when I'd call occasionally, when one of the guys answered the phone they'd get all flustered when I asked if I could talk to her.....she was off pumping.....I should have asked the guy 'is she off emptying the udders again?' to see the reaction.

They're talking about someone going in with a pump:

Not someone bringing their kid in to suck tit....

As long as it's discrete, doesn't substantially interfere with work, etc....it shouldn't be an issue....I'm not wild at all on the government getting involved, but the employer should be OK with it in general....

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Because every business in america isnt a fucking office building.  Try dealing with this in a fast food restaurant dumbass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#25]
We are discussing the MANDATE that an employer provide a special area, other than a bathroom.  Some places just don't have one of those areas.  They will have to BUILD one.  That costs MONEY.

Quoted:

Wife interviewed for a job the day after discharge with our first (one day in the hospital)........she had to pump for a while after.    This was at a small engineering and fabrication firm.     She got the job and when I'd call occasionally, when one of the guys answered the phone they'd get all flustered when I asked if I could talk to her.....she was off pumping.....I should have asked the guy 'is she off emptying the udders again?' to see the reaction.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-89nPxvL1pRI/Tw8d52XmmsI/AAAAAAAABHc/b2KcjGwGnOE/s1600/pump.jpg

As long as it's discrete, doesn't substantially interfere with work, etc....it shouldn't be an issue....I'm not wild at all on the government getting involved, but the employer should be OK with it in general....

AFARR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-89nPxvL1pRI/Tw8d52XmmsI/AAAAAAAABHc/b2KcjGwGnOE/s1600/pump.jpg

AFARR

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

My only objection to it, is that it  IS NOT within the Constitutional authority of Congress to mandate that of private employers.

Are you suggesting that it falls under the "regulate inter-state commerce" clause?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.. nice personal attack..

I've never worked in a restaurant where there was not some sort of closable office and i have never met an employer, even fast food, who would not work with a new mother.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Heres your breastmilk room mam. (points to old cardboard refrigerator box)

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hey slick, I work in Tax.  I posted this because I wanted to disclose another part of the bill that MANDATES something.  Yes, some are already doing their best to accommodate.  But if some places say, "yeah, you can use the bathroom, no problem," well, now they will have to find some other area. If they don't have one, they will incur a cost for a "special area."

I don't have an issue with letting someone pump.  The issue is the extra potential cost to the employer.  Is that enough analysis for you, professor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea because that is sanitary as hell.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We are discussing the MANDATE that an employer provide a special area, other than a bathroom.  Some places just don't have one of those areas.  They will have to BUILD one.  That costs MONEY.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFARR

I didn't read that as the area would be its only function. an office with a door that closes would suffice i would imagine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFARR

when i worked at chic-fil-a in high school, we had a new mother who needed to pump her tits....she used the small managers office....
i'm pretty sure all fast food joints have those, and shouldn't be a problem to allow them in there for fifteen minutes to do their thing....
cash is all locked up, the worse she could have done was mess with the schedule on the dry erase board and watch the cameras.....

ETA: i don't think this should be mandated by .gov....
i'm in MEP engineering, and have seen quite a few new office buildings being built, outfitted with "mother's rooms" specifically for this...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've never worked in a restaurant where there was not some sort of closable office and i have never met an employer, even fast food, who would not work with a new mother.
View Quote

Restaurant offices should be under video surveillance. Don't think that would fly. And any special "closet" without cameras would be so open for abuse.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No

They all should be on trial for dereliction of duty for voting on a bill they didn't read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

I'd vote for their own wing at Leavenworth while awaiting the gas room, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#34]
So they want to make employers build milking stations within the business?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So they want to make employers build milking stations within the business?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Would a milking stool and shower curtain be insensitive?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#37]
That's been around for a long time.

Use to work at Citi they had a special room for that.  First saw that when we moved into a new building back in 2003-2004
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the office with all the personell files, computer equipment, camera and camera system, and phone?  Yea thatd go over great. It pissed me off because its the same thought process as the lunatics that write the damn laws while thinking the world is black and white.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Snip...

I didn't read that as the area would be its only function. an office with a door that closes would suffice i would imagine.
View Quote

A supply closet with a chair and door lock, etc.    Wife used one of the guy's offices back then.....no, I'm not (as I mentioned before) in favor of a government mandate...just that it's a bit simpler to provide than a few posters recognize.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The person responsible for this is a 15 year old girl that hasn't gotten knocked up yet.

She wants to stay on her mother's tit until she can get on the federal tit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Nothing wrong with mothers pumping at work as long as they are pumping and not taking advantage.   We have one who is pumping at my office, it does not interfere with her work.  In fact, this co-worker had a hands free unit so she can take work with her as she pumps.

Not advocating a mandate.  FBHO. But, women should have this extended to them automatically with no issue.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Nothing wrong with mothers pumping at work as long as they are pumping and not taking advantage.   We have one who is pumping at my office, it does not interfere with her work.  In fact, this co-worker had a hands free unit so she can take work with her as she pumps.

Not advocating a mandate.  FBHO. But, women should have this extended to them automatically with no issue.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah...

Sheila Jackson Lee be all bout da bizness.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
A supply closet with a chair and door lock, etc.    Wife used one of the guy's offices back then.....no, I'm not (as I mentioned before) in favor of a government mandate...just that it's a bit simpler to provide than a few posters recognize.

AFARR
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Snip...

AFARR

they got one of those on a drilling location?

Is it the service provider's responsibility or the company man's responsibility?

We have wireline crews that go out with nothing more than a few trucks and work 12 hour turns.  Guess they need to start packing lockable tents...

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm still going to have a hard time getting worked up over this one
View Quote

if they still have seperate bathrooms for men and women at work.i dont see why this is even brought up in the first place,if the women want to do this in private just goto the womens bathroom and do it

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I work with some nurses who pump at work.  They just go in the bathroom and manage just fine.

I think it's funny that they tell everyone, including me, that they're going to go play with their boobs for 20 minutes.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
and how it is going to screw businesses?
View Quote

thats pretty much all obamacare has done anyway

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top