Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 8:20:01 AM EDT
Foxnews Writes:

SEOUL, South Korea  — Just hours after the last two U.N.-certified nuclear inspectors left the country, North Korea raised the stakes in its standoff with the United States Tuesday, stating that war was likely but that invading American troops would be wiped out "to the last man."

South of the DMZ, both South Korea's president and president-elect urged negotiations to ease the deepening crisis over Pyongyang's resumed nuclear program, and said economic sanctions being considered by Washington might not work.

In Moscow, North Korea's ambassador to Russia said that the U.S. had threatened his country "with a pre-emptive nuclear strike," the Interfax news agency reported.

"These conditions also make it impossible for us to abide by the [nuclear nonproliferation] treaty," Ambassador Pak Ui Chun said, "whose main provision bans nuclear powers from using nuclear weapons against countries that do not have them."

Pyongyang's main newspaper was no less strident.

"The U.S. is stepping up preparations for a war against the DPRK [Democratic People's Republic of Korea], persistently turning aside the latter's constructive proposal for concluding a nonaggression treaty," said Rodong Sinmun. "If the enemy invades even an inch of the inviolable territory of the DPRK, the people's army and people of the DPRK will wipe out the aggressors to the last man."

"Inevitable is the confrontation with the imperialists as long as they do not abandon the aggressive and predatory nature," continued the article, as translated on the English language-section of the North's official Korean Central News Agency Web site. "So there is no other way than winning a victory by firmly struggling against the imperialists without the slightest concession and hesitation."

Meanwhile, the international community's attempt to monitor North Korea's nuclear ambitions ended with a whimper, as the inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency, a Lebanese man and a Chinese woman, flew into in Beijing Tuesday.

"We cannot comment on anything at this stage," the man said, mobbed by reporters at Beijing's Capital Airport
View Quote

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,74282,00.html[/url]

This story is slightly misleading in that the North Koreans say war is likely but also say that we will invade.  ?????? The US isn't going to invade North Korea.

I guess all that can really be determined is that at this time there is no news comming from the middle east.

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#1]
And Colin Powell downplays this the other day saying "This is not a crisis.".  Uh, I would say that we are on the edge of a world war old school style.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm actually getting really tired of hearing the Bush admn. talking Iraq this, Iraq that, and hardly anything about N. Korea.  To me that's the bigger issue right now, we know they're(N.K.) trying to produce more Nukes and the Bush admn. is still blabbering on about Iraq as if Saddam is mass producing them as I type.  It really gets to me that we're not addressing the North more vigorously, and it's making me wonder what the war in Iraq would really be all about...
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Velocity, the North Korea latest crisis just started up a few weeks ago. They have been building up on Iraq for months.

Besides, they still have lots of political options to play on North Korea, and there is lots of friendly military forces nearby.

The political options are running out on Iraq. So, the Iraq issue and the NK issue are at different points in the threat management curve.

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

lots of political options
View Quote

Option #1 ;

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3338[/img]

[size=6][red]Bang ![/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Is he dropping Michael Jackson's baby?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lots of political options
View Quote

Option #1 ;

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3338[/url]

[size=6][red]Bang ![/red][/size=6]
View Quote

I dont trust that kooky bastard.  This sounds similar to those people who do the whole "suicide by cop" thing.  I think he has nukes and wouldnt hesitate to use them on our troops in South Korea.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I just don't think North Korea is that much of a threat.  They can't even feed themselves, they are so isolationalist that they have no friends or allies.  It's a matter of time before something happens to the current regieme in North Korea.  
We could take the N.K.s and kick their ass anytime we want.  They were not a serious threat when we went to war with them, it was the Chinese we had problems with.  Even with their nukes, their 2 nukes they might have now don't do them anygood against our 2000 nukes.  Although they would be a serious problem because untill we got their artilery, they could rain shells into Seoul and do a lot of serious damage.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem with North Korea is not with them having nukes but they tend to sell any weapon they produce.

What fun if they start selling these things to say the Arabs. Which is even more reason for the US to take out Iraq ASAP and send a message to North Korea and the Arab world.

North Korea is not a direct threat to the US but they could kill half the population of Seoul in 30 min. with conventional artillery. So it is easy for us in the US to say hit them but South Korea will pay a huge price if we do. And they do have missiles that will reach Japan.

You combine their long-range missiles with a nuke warhead and you could get a nuclear arms race on the Pacific Rim. South Korea will want nukes and Japan then Taiwan... get the picture very destabilizing.

Sometimes it makes you miss the Cold War.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top