Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 10:22:11 AM EDT
From a release by Physicians For A Violence Free Society:

The manufacturers of .50 BMG sniper rifles are currently engaged in a competitive race to see which company can produce the least expensive and most portable .50 BMG sniper rifles possible for the civilian markets. There are numerous cases where these weapons have been used in criminal activity or recovered at crime scenes around the country and in California.

CRC
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Source?  Not that I'm doubting you, but I would like to read the whole release.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Source?  Not that I'm doubting you, but I would like to read the whole release.
View Quote

Do a search engine query -- they have a web site....
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
They get their data from the same places as the New York Times and CNN.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A 50 BMG used in a crime?  Yeah, right [:O]!!!

OK, let's just steal a tank and use it to rob a bank.  Hey, maybe that is what the guy in San Diego had planned.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have a source, but I do remember one being used in the desert somewhere to rob an armored car. Maybe someone elses knows about this and can add better information. It was about two years ago.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The only conviction I'm aware of was of a Branch Davidian who was seen at the facility with a .50.  

Numerous places have been [i]raided[/i] and .50's were found to be in the possession of the bad guys.

A Colorado Sheriff's Deputy was killed a year or three ago by a guy who [i]had[/i] a .50 in his vehicle, but he killed the cop with an SKS.  

As of yet, to my knowledge, the only person killed by someone with a .50 outside of military operations was a British soldier in Northern Ireland.  It was a Barrett, IIRC.

I'd heard about the armored car job, but I have searched high and low and have been unable to find anything but third-hand reports of it.

Edited to add:  The link to the PVS piece is [url=www.pvs.org/action_leg_50.shtml]here[/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I couldn't stand it.  Though it is no doubt a futile endeavor, I sent the pricks an email:

I presume you are simply posting a press release or other document, and that you did not actually compose the page on your web site titled "AB 50: Ban .50-Caliber BMG Sniper Rifles."  If this is the case, I am disappointed that you do not research this piece for accuracy and factuality.  If you had, you would realize that virtually every statement in it is false.

The .50 BMG rifle has been used in a single documented crime in this country.  One.  Hardy a menace, eh?  It is a large, heavy, and expensive weapon, and is not suitable for shooting down aircraft or destroying any kind of significant infrastructure.  Terrorists would have no use for this weapon.  If they wanted to bring down an airliner they would use a shoulder fired surface-to-air missle.  If they wanted to destroy large infrastructure installations they would use explosives.  The only people who have any real interest in .50 BMG rifles are law abiding shooting hobbyists.

You would do well to start researching your own web site content.  Merely regurgitating VPC propaganda (and lies, for that matter) will lose you credibility.  You certainly have with me.  It would seem you are just another self-interest group with a political agenda and a large ax to wield.

Think about it.  You are actively engaged in the spread of lies and deceit.  What kind of people does that make you?

Sincerely,

marvl
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top