Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:08:54 PM EDT
I just got the 30gb photo ipod and its a real pain in the ass to use.  My pc is windows ME, I purchased XPlay and I have a free copy of ephpod.  These work great with my IPOD mini, but not the phot IPOD.  When I plug it in, the PC does not recognize the ipod drive.  However, XPlay shows it as a little red apple.  The IPOD is set to windows format.  Also, my pc says it has detected hardware, but theres an error and it doesnt know what it is.  Then when I unplug, the thing locks up permanently until I hook it up to my wifes laptop (which has XP), then I can get it to unlock.  A reall pisser!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OK, I got a firewire from Bestbuy and now the pc sees the ipod.  New problem is that when I disconect the ipod (I do it the correct way) the IPOD shows that I have no songs!  Then I plug it to the laptop, then disconect it, all my songs are back.  Also, I have the latest software version for the IPOD.  Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Upgrade to XP

Well that is odd that you songs dont show up, have you tried restting the iPod after you unplug it from the ME computer?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
New problem now, some songs dont play.  It skips to the next song.  This is a pita.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, i have had this before what format are the songs when you put them on the iPod? Also did you get any from the iTunes store?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok, i have had this before what format are the songs when you put them on the iPod? Also did you get any from the iTunes store?

Songs should be like sex and air---free.  So no, I did not get them from iTunes.  I formatted the ipod to Apple from windows, but in both formats, some songs skip.  Interestengly, the are grouped by Artist. Starnge.  Like some of my Rolling Stones songs don't play.  Some are also tracks which I ripped from my cd's.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea see some of my songs I got off iTunes would skip because of there stuipd protection and me using winamp to transfer the songs.

I assume you have the iPod updated to the latest firmware? Also have you tried to reset the iPod yet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the latest.  Its apple 1.2 I believe.  I purchased a copy of Xplay and am using the latest version of that too.  I think I might have a defective hard drive because It sometimes gets locked up on a boot "loop" where it just keeps rebooting.  I have to boot it on the hooked bot (play and center button), then plug it in.  This last time, I had to reformat it (the third reformat in 4 days).  Lesson to be learned:  Back up your songs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea i would try and trade it, none of what is happing to you sounds normal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It seems to be working ok now (knocking on wood).  All songs play after the last reformat.  I imported some photos too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top