Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2002 3:41:05 PM EDT
I am curious if Garandman, though obviously understandting their viewpoint more than me, still agrees these cops are way out of line.

Of course, I am curious what the rest of you think as well.

[url]http://www.boston.com/dailynews/024/nation/Police_department_in_Pennsylva:.shtml[/url]

Police department in Pennsylvania town accuses YMCA of promoting witchcraft

By Associated Press, 1/24/2002 07:28

PENRYN, Pa. (AP) The police department has refused to direct traffic at a YMCA triathlon because it says the club promotes witchcraft by reading Harry Potter books to children.

Penryn Fire Police Capt. Robert Fichthorn said the eight-member force voted unanimously to boycott the 20th running of the triathlon, scheduled for Sept. 7.

''I don't feel right taking our children's minds and teaching them (witchcraft),'' Fichthorn said. ''As long as we don't stand up, it won't stop. It's unfortunate that this is the way it has to be.''

The Lancaster Family YMCA began reading chapters of the Harry Potter books to children enrolled in an after-school program in November.

In a letter to the township and the YMCA, Fichthorn challenged the religious integrity of the YMCA, and questioned whether it was ''serving the will of God'' in using the books.

The wildly popular children's books by J.K. Rowling chronicle the fictional adventures of the young Harry Potter as he attends a boarding school for wizards and battles his nemesis, the evil sorcerer Voldemort.

The YMCA's executive director, Michael Carr, said he was disappointed by the department's decision, but doesn't expect it to stop about 600 triathletes from participating in the race.

Township Supervisor Ronald Krause said the YMCA may have to hire police from another community to direct traffic for the race.

The course includes a one-mile swim, a 25-mile bicycle route and a 6.2-mile run. About 200 volunteers are needed to run the event, which passes through Penryn, a small community about 66 miles west of Philadelphia.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone should drug test those cops immediately.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Next they'll want to decide what calls to answer. No, I don't think I'll respond to that armed robbery, because the owners are Moslem.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Next they'll want to decide what calls to answer. No, I don't think I'll respond to that armed robbery, because the owners are Moslem.
View Quote

That was exactly my concern - I could too easily imagine them not wanting to enter a burning home to rescue a family (or any other type situation) just because they disagreed with their religious or political beliefs. Very unprofessional if you ask me.

I really do want Garandman's opinion - as he was outspoken about the movie and its message - you out there, G-man?

Adam
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#4]
His Politically-Incorrectness has already delivered his sermon on this subject, here:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=89190[/url]

And for once (OK, twice) I agreed with him!  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
DScott - thank for the link - I was wondering why my post was generating so few responses. I guess I don't get to this board enough - completely missed that thread.

I am glad my assumption that even die hard "Harry Potter is evil" types view those cops as being way out of line.

Adam
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#6]
And apparently, they're not even regular cops... they're "fire police".  Huh?  I kinda pictured them like Shriners at a parade, riding little miniature firetrucks in formation, keeping the little folk in line. [:)]

It is a good example of what would happen if every little town or group made up their own rules.  Scary!  Reminds me of books I read in school, like "The Lottery".  Remember reading that?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe somebody should warn them about the danger of having a tiny little closed mind.  Idiots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top