Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2001 2:01:24 PM EDT
[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-090801beck.story[/url]

[b]An ATF agent investigating Beck in July 2000 for illegally possessing firearms reviewed credit card receipts and gun shop invoices, determining Beck had purchased $1,513.34 worth of ammunition and gun paraphernalia during seven visits to Turner's Outdoorsman gun shop in Pasadena, the affidavits said. Among his purchases was a magazine for an AR-15 assault rifle. [/b]

[b]ATF Special Agent Larry D. Webster obtained a search warrant for Beck's mother's house in West Los Angeles, where Beck was living at the time. They found no weapons or evidence that Beck was impersonating an agent during the search on June 21, 2000.

But the next month, Webster got a telephone tip leading him to review Beck's credit card statements. He found Beck had visited the Pasadena gun store seven times between April 2, 1999, and Feb. 5, 2000. [/b]

Who could have phoned the agent anonymously about his credit card statements??

[b]Zapor said his agency cannot comment on the case until release of an internal review of the shootout. The Sheriff's Department is conducting a separate homicide investigation of Kuredjian's death. [/b]

I guess they are still not sure who killed the deputy.

Link Posted: 9/8/2001 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like he made a mistake in showing off his "stock-pile" to the neighbors. That wasn't a smart thing to do.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
This is frightnening.  It could easily happen to anybody here.  Some whacko neighbor could bring all of this trouble to someone based on misinformation. i hope there's more to the story than this.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
What sort of ID does one need in CA to buy ammo and a mag? Can the mag be used for other, non-AW guns at all? Could he have been using a fake ID, if one was needed? Sounds like the ATF are softening up the public for a future report on their and the LACSO's rank incompetence. The more incriminating (justifying) evidence- such as it is- they can continually pump out into the media, the less impact there will be when it turns out Offr Kuredjian was hit by fire from fellow LEOs gone wild. After all, it was supposedly all the dirtbag's fault- he got what was coming to him, acc. to the police spokesman a few days ago....but Beck had no trial, no jury, but an executioner. Yet I'll bet it turns out the fire killed him, not bullets. Ironic.

BTW where's the meth lab?

Under our present federal laws, if he was indeed a felon, he had no business even being in a gun shop, let alone purchasing anything.

Of course, if he was not to be trusted with a gun, then he should not have even been let out on the street.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You don't need any kind of ID or license to buy ammo or magazines in Pasadena.

Damn it!, I shop at that Turners all the time. I better start paying with cash.

It really pisses me off that ammo/magazine purchase information is completely accessible for anyone to use against you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]
At the dates stated on the article, you only needed money to be able to buy ammo and mags in CA. Up until I left CA in Mar of this year. You did not need any "permission" to buy any accessories. If I am not mistaken there is an ammo ban on certain calibers in LA county. Either that is forth coming or already in effect.

I believe they chose this guy cause he is not you're gangbanger type. Rather what appears to be middle class that would catch the media's attention. There is a shift that they are trying to emphasize. Not only gangbangers have guns. Your neighbor in the burbs that drives the BMW can also be a gun owning bad guy. Another way for CA to filter guns/gun owners out of the state.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Certain areas of LA county you must show an ID and give a thumbprint for ammo.
I will not do that and buy most of my ammo at Turners in Pasadena.
There you dont need anything but money for everything except firearm purchases.
I just changed to paying with cash.
Sodie are you coming to the Web Shooters meet on 9-15?
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Me thinks the next ATF BBQ will be held at Turner's.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn it!, I shop at that Turners all the time. I better start paying with cash.

It really pisses me off that ammo/magazine purchase information is completely accessible for anyone to use against you.
View Quote

Nah, won't work either.

Facial recognition technology coming to a friendly neighborhood gunshop near you.

Try straw ammo purchases.  

Alas!  An ammo loophole anyone can eXploit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I am more concerned now with the fact the the Press thinks 1500 bucks is a lot of money on firearms.  Nobody here ever spent that much on gun stuff  in a year right?

Second, the invasion of privacy is staggering, to hell with what they thought he might be doing.  Credit records cross referenced  with store recipts to show itemized purchases.  And in 1500 bucks they ony real evil thing the press sights is an AR15 mag?!?!

PLEASE.  maybe 35-40bucks for that?

Despite the fact that he may or may not have been lawfully able to buy ammo, etc, the under tone of this article is the real scary thing.

Hmmmmm, first it was cheap Saturday Night specials, now people are spending to much so they are evil bad guys.

It is getting UGLY!

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-090801beck.story[/url]

[b]But the next month, Webster got a telephone tip leading him to review Beck's credit card statements. He found Beck had visited the Pasadena gun store seven times between April 2, 1999, and Feb. 5, 2000. [/b]
View Quote

So the tipster knew he was a felon and still sold him ammo?

Telephone tip my ass.

Kinda fishy.  Just like the other stockpile dude in LA county a few months ago.

The alleged robber the cops were chasing that went onto the someone's property.  Cops thought he went into some dudes residence so they entered his dwelling.

I still think there was never any robber.  Totally fictional BS if you ask me.  Did they ever find the alleged robber?

Why do I ask, I know there wasn't even a robber to begin with.

Supposedly he had a whole bunch of "assault weapons" strewn about his residence.

The BS meter just reached critical.

How does LA county just happen to stumble on all those "stockpiles"?

LA county "stockpile" owners watch out!

Link Posted: 9/9/2001 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#14]
IRONY DEPT: the above song was written by Don Henley- major-league liberal AND gun-grabber.

The shoe is on the other foot (or should I say the boot is on the other side of his neck?)...

Saw his pic in the local librag (Boston Glob) the other day, with Courtney Love, testilying before Congress about something. He is fat as a cow- even looks like Teddy Kennedy, his idol.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Sodie are you coming to the Web Shooters meet on 9-15?
View Quote

Maybe, I just added a new flat top upper to my Patriot Pistol and I need to function test it. My boss also wants to test shoot his Carbon 15 too.
I have an Avid Multimedia class coming up this month, I'll have to check to see which day it is, Sat or Sun. It's around that same time frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top