Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2013 5:01:19 PM EDT
The wife has a 2013 Honda CR-V and its low tire pressure light keeps coming on. I took it to the dealer and they found no problems and reset the system...however when their "tech" topped off the tires before giving the car back, he overinflated them to 55lbs. I believe the max rating is 40 or 44 lbs. Is there any chance he damaged the tires when he did so?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
no, but the tire pressure light can come on for overinflation as well as underinflation
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Pitiful.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no, but the tire pressure light can come on for overinflation as well as underinflation
View Quote

The tires have always been properly inflated; I keep them right around 34 lbs and check regularly. Not sure why the light comes on from time to time, unless it's related to temperature. Good to know there's no damage from that; thanks!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Morans

Morons.

FIFY.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
No damage from overinflated tires. If you drive on it for thousands of miles it may wear the center of the tire out faster.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Morans

Morons.

FIFY.
View Quote

Can't tell if serious.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Morans

Morons.

FIFY.
View Quote

You fail Internet 101.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No damage from overinflated tires. If you drive on it for thousands of miles it may wear the center of the tire out faster.
View Quote

I actually checked right there on the lot before I left...I guess I have little faith in 90% of people who have worked on my vehicles.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You fail Internet 101.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Morans

Morons.

FIFY.

You fail Internet 101.

He signed up in 2010...perhaps some remedial training is in order.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you sure your gauge is right?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Morans

Morons.

FIFY.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Morans

Morons.

FIFY.
View Quote

Damn, beat by less then a minute.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeh, actually I thought the dealership was full of crap when the told me tires were low and I've purchased 3 gauges in the past few months. They tried to say their $120 gauge needed calibration.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The pressure sensor is likely out of calibration, and coming on when the pressure is still high enough.

Some techs will over-inflate slightly to turn the damned idiot light off.

Oh, and those sensors each have a battery that will die 3 to 4 years after it was installed.  They will not replace the battery, but the whole sensor when this happens.

Call the service dept  and ask what a set of sensors installed runs.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The pressure sensor is likely out of calibration, and coming on when the pressure is still high enough.

Oh, and those sensors each have a battery that will die 3 to 4 years after it was installed.  They will not replace the battery, but the whole sensor when this happens.

View Quote

You know what's crazy...they told me those in-tire sensors are going out of style and now pressure is obtained somehow through the ABS! I'm not sure if this car has the sensors in the tire, or is using this newer method.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You fail Internet 101.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Morans

Morons.

FIFY.

You fail Internet 101.

Figures a 13er would say this.

(look at post count of quoted post)

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Morans

Morons.

FIFY.

It's actually morans.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#19]
LOL, maybe the sensor is correct??  My DIL car was doing the same thing, had a leak in left front tire...... or are you saying the sensor/light is on when tire is at correct pressure using a good gauge??

NO, he didn't hurt your tire by putting to much air in it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Morans

Morons.

maroons

FIFY.
View Quote

FIFY too!

Maybe he failed Bugs Bunny 101 too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOL, maybe the sensor is correct??  My DIL car was doing the same thing, had a leak in left front tire...... or are you saying the sensor/light is on when tire is at correct pressure using a good gauge??

View Quote

The sensor light comes on intermittently, maybe once or twice per month, but there are no changes in tire pressure. All tires are always the same. There's a reset button in the car, but I'm convinced the system or a sensor has an issue.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#22]
No, but check your spare tire pressure as well.  Mine is a full size with a sensor, and it took me a couple tries to figure that out when my light wouldn't go off.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Have you checked the air in the spare?

That was what was making me crazy until I figured out that the spare has a sensor as well and if I don't check the air from time to time it does trip the light.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No, but check your spare tire pressure as well.  Mine is a full size with a sensor, and it took me a couple tries to figure that out when my light wouldn't go off.
View Quote

No shit...sensors in the spare; didn't think of that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The sensor light comes on intermittently, maybe once or twice per month, but there are no changes in tire pressure. All tires are always the same. There's a reset button in the car, but I'm convinced the system or a sensor has an issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There must be a problem with the sensor then. I would take it back to the dealership and tell them you want the sensor replaced or the wires and connections checked out at a minimum.

I would also chew their asses out for overfilling your tire/tires. That can create a traction issue and I consider it "unsafe"...... especially on wet/slippery roads.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeh, actually I thought the dealership was full of crap when the told me tires were low and I've purchased 3 gauges in the past few months. They tried to say their $120 gauge needed calibration.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wouldn't surprise me. Dealer shops are hard on tools.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Tundra was the first one that ever had the sensor in the spare so maybe the Honda does as well.

It is great because I HAVE failed to put air in other spares only to have it be flatter than the flat I just blew out once I put it on. :D  Spares leak a little air over time and will end up worthless if you don't check them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Have you checked the air in the spare?

That was what was making me crazy until I figured out that the spare has a sensor as well and if I don't check the air from time to time it does trip the light.
View Quote

Never would have thought of that. Does the CRV have a full size spare or a doughnut?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never thought of that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There must be a problem with the sensor then. I would take it back to the dealership and tell them you want the sensor replaced or the wires and connections checked out at a minimum.

I would also chew their asses out for overfilling your tire/tires. That can create a traction issue and I consider it "unsafe"...... especially on wet/slippery roads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a little irked considering it was the (pregnant) wife's ride, but luckily I caught the overinflation before I even left their lot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Can't tell if serious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Morans

Morons.

FIFY.

Can't tell if serious.

Not serious.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

what I was thinking s well...I have 4 gauges....2 of the 4 measure the same pressure...the other 2.... 1 reads 5psi low, the other 5pi high.

And thank your legislators for this added vehicular bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, this

Cold weather spare tire pressure goes down, where the rolling tires will eventually heat up to operating temperature and pressure
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I actually checked right there on the lot before I left...I guess I have little faith in 90% of people who have worked on my vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess, you put a mark on your Oil Filters, too?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Those sensors go bad. My TPMS light was on when my tires were inflated properly according to my gauge, 2 of my dad's and 2 or 3 of my grand-dad's. Last time I had one go bad, I took it to Walmart where I ordered and had my tires put on, they replaced it for me. Light went off. Got a nail in the tire shortly after that, the air leaked out, light came on again, took it and got it plugged (got the road hazard warranty when I got the tires), they re-inflated it, light went off. Everything works as it should. The TPMS sensor cost me $4 when I got it done. I'd hate to think about what it would cost at a dealership stealership.

Most (if not all) cars have a sticker in the door that is printed with what the tires should be inflated to. If it's not there, look in the manual, if you don't have the manual, google it. I guess when they sent him to tire...college, he was sick on tire inflation day...

Also, people can hate on Walmart Tire & Lube Express all they want, but the store I take my vehicles to is the store I used to work at. I've known those guys for 7 years, and trust all of them to work on my vehicle. 2 of them are my best friends, shooting buddies, and fellow ARFcom members. While I can't speak for all of them, and trust me, I know there are some bad TLE's out there, the one I go to is pretty good. All the work I've ever had done has been done right, and I've never had any complaints.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...great idea, heh. The only thing I do after an oil change is check the drainplug. My father managed a Jiffy Lube when he was a young guy and he told me they'd have to replace an engine or two every year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, like your $5 pocket tire gauge is the best tool to use!

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I would think the Japs would have the same technology as the domestic mfgrs whixh means that the TPMS module or BCM or whatever module they use will store the sensor location of the last few sensor malfunction locations, ie RF, LF, etc..shouldn't be hard to have them tell you which sensor it is and then have them replace it
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeah, like your $5 pocket tire gauge is the best tool to use!

View Quote

No idea who that comment was aimed at, but the 3 gauges I have ranged from $10 to $40, and all 3 show the exact same pressure. I'm pretty sure all 3 of them aren't off by TWENTY POUNDS.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Is 55 lbs the maximum inflation printed on the tire?

I did that once when I was a pre-teen for my Grandmother.  Didn't hurt anything.  Maybe if she would have hit a pot hole they would have bulged or popped, though.

I keep my tires at 35 psi in every car.

For others I follow directions in the door.  For my father I add about 2 psi to the recommendation.

Can't believe my 03 Toyota Camry calls for 29 psi.  That's quite low.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#42]
The cold messes with tire pressure, also check the spare. You can do all this yourself and not go to the dealer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The cold messes with tire pressure, also check the spare. You can do all this yourself and not go to the dealer.
View Quote

I generally do all that myself; went to dealer for the mentioned issue with TPMS sensors. The tires have nitrogen in them too (it was free) which should help some with the pressure fluctuations (yes I know it's a gimmick).
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

First thing I thought. Maybe you've been running around on underinflated tires. Check your gauge with a known quality one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You know what's crazy...they told me those in-tire sensors are going out of style and now pressure is obtained somehow through the ABS! I'm not sure if this car has the sensors in the tire, or is using this newer method.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mercedes used this type on early 164 chassis ML SUVs.When tire is low it spins faster than properly inflated ones which is picked up by wheel speed sensor,sent to control unit and pops on warning lamp.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Hello,   Honda tech here.

Want to know what I know?

You say it has a reset button in the car?   That means its using the new indirect system.

It uses abs sensors to see if one tire is low or not.  

This system requires calibration, hence the button.  Press and hold, light flashes three times.  Calibration begins.

Calibration takes about 60 miles to complete, foot note here.

You must calibrate when:
You adjust pressures
You rotate tires
You change tires
Ect...

Foot note
I've delt with this 60 mile thing before.  My thought is its using abs to calibrate

So the ideal thing to do is calibrate with 60 miles on straight highway, no turns.

Questions?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Just be glad the days before vehicles had sensors for tire pressure are but a dark and distant memory.

They truly were, the greatest generation.    

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Spare tire
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I live in Va Beach Va...sounds like your close...

COLD...COLD weather affects TPMS's...I'll bet you didn't have much problem with it in the summer...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I have never had a flat tire since I started driving at age 16.  24 now.

I check my tires like a responsible heterosexual.

Once again, the idiots of this world cause technology to adapt and make things easier so they never learn from their mistakes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top