Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2006 4:23:27 PM EDT
I do not hunt, I haven't hunted since I was 13 or so (about to turn 31 now) and my Grandfather is a HUGE hunter. He hunts on his own land and has shot and killed lot of animals, he eats every game animal that he kills and even uses the guts as fish bait on his pond. Well earlier this year my Grandfather helped me out with a large loan and to buy a car that I needed at the time, after that he asked me if I wanted to deer hunt on his land. Now I'm a big animal guy, I love animals and have stopped in the middle of the road to help a turtle cross, I'm just an animal guy.

So when he asked me if I wanted to deer hunt it really made me think, I don't want to dissapoint my Grandfather (he basically raised me), I know that he wants to share the experience with me and obviously he's not getting any younger. I finally told him yes and the season opens up Saturday morning, I'll be hunting on his land and using one of his favorite 30-06 rifles. Granted I'm not too crazy about shooting an innocent animal yet I know that it will be eaten but I also do not want to dissapoint my Grandfather.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
There is nothing wrong with hunting animals for food. If you really don't want to go I would tell him, but you may learn something and you may regret you never did.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
trade the rifle for a camera and de-scent youself and get up in a tree somewhere and take some great pix of some great animals.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I do not hunt, I haven't hunted since I was 13 or so (about to turn 31 now) and my Grandfather is a HUGE hunter. He hunts on his own land and has shot and killed lot of animals, he eats every game animal that he kills and even uses the guts as fish bait on his pond. Well earlier this year my Grandfather helped me out with a large loan and to buy a car that I needed at the time, after that he asked me if I wanted to deer hunt on his land. Now I'm a big animal guy, I love animals and have stopped in the middle of the road to help a turtle cross, I'm just an animal guy.

So when he asked me if I wanted to deer hunt it really made me think, I don't want to dissapoint my Grandfather (he basically raised me), I know that he wants to share the experience with me and obviously he's not getting any younger. I finally told him yes and the season opens up Saturday morning, I'll be hunting on his land and using one of his favorite 30-06 rifles. Granted I'm not too crazy about shooting an innocent animal yet I know that it will be eaten but I also do not want to dissapoint my Grandfather.

Any thoughts?

FFS
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree...just because you go doesn't mean you have to shoot. Jon (fiend) is starting to learn to hunt but I know that that is one hobby of his I won't be able to participate in (the first time someone drops bambi, I'll be a basket case...) He understand that though.

Just tell your grandfather that you don't want to do the shooting. I'm sure he'll understand. Take great pics of him instead
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't sweat it man.

I shoot all the time but I'M not a hunter.  

I personally don't see the need to hunt game for food but I know alot of my buddies (And family members) DO and, considering I eat meat and allow OTHERS to do my killing for me I don't get too excited about it.

I've killed my share of "Varmints" on my folks farm but THAT was just because they were killing animals I knew and took care of.

Anyway,  I'd go hunting with your Grand-Dad.  It don't mean you have to take the shot if you don't want to
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Humor your grandfather, it will mean A LOT for him.
You're gonna end up eating the animal, so it's just like buying a steak at the super.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
While my son hunts with me and has shot and killed animals in the past, he really loves to shoot but not to hunt.  I was farm raised and am not botherd by shooting a game animal, he is on the other hand is.  Its fine with me and he is pro-hunting.  He goes with me all the time and we have a great time.  I suspect your grandfather would be thew same.  Enjoy your time with him but don't let it bother you if you he is hunting.  Remember that the last hamburger you had came from an animal with zero chance of survival.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no moral dilemma.

There is nothing immoral in this equation.

Make your grandpa happy.  You owe it to him.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Great replies so far.

When I did hunt I only shot rabbits and squirrels, I hunted for larger animals like hogs anddeer but never saw one to shoot. Well my Grandfather has been setting out deer on almost a daily basis to bait the deer to the area outside of my stand

I know that if I do get one that he'll be thrilled.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd humor the old guy. But I enjoy hunting, just don't get to do it much.

You could always miss.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Any thoughts?

Easy.  Only shoot the guilty ones.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're a vegetarian, it makes sense to loathe the thought of hunting.
Otherwise, you are a bit of a hypocrite, pretending the cows die of natural causes at the packing house.

BTW, I'm not poking fun at you, but trying to make the issue black and white for you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
You don't have to kill anything, just miss. I remember reading about Lee Harvey Oswald. His Russian father in-law related a story where he and Oswald were hunting rabbits I think and Oswald could not hit them. So the father in-law reasoned that Oswald could not have been the trigger puller that day in Daily Plaza since he could not hit a rabbit with a shotgun he could not hit a moving President with a poor quality Italian rifle.  I always thought that Oswald missed the rabbits on purpose so as not to show up his father in-law. So, spend the quality time with your Grandad, a morning or day in the woods can be a great bonding experience for you both. If you have to take a shot, just miss, buck fever, happens to lots of folks.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Any thoughts?

I would offer an opinion about "honoring" your grandfather, but that opinion might offend people because it is mentioned in the Bible somewhere, so I better not....

That being said, time with your grandfather is something you can only do once in your life. Make the most of it, no matter how much you may not like the primary activity.

I would give everything I posess to have just one more day doing ANYTHING with my dear departed Grandfather.

40 years from now you won't have any regrets about shooting and/or skinning and/or eating a deer, but you may just find yourself regretting not having spent more time with your grandfather.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Blow off your grandfather and go to Burger King and have a hamburger I hear the only use guilty cattle for the King’s meat.

Innocent deer…
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Hunting is about so much more than shooting the animal.  From what you have said, I know you will go and have a great time with your GP.  If you don't want to shoot, you can just tell GP, "I don't want to run off a great deer due to my inexperiance.  You shoot it."

Enjoy your time with him.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't kid yourself... If a deer could eat you he would!

Seriously though, if it matters to him that much, you going would probably be one of the highlights of his later years.

I think every man should have to kill a large mammal in his life, it changes you view on life and death. What that change is will be different for everybody, but until you've killed, you don't know anything about it.

Just kill something already.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Not everyone wants to hunt - but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't go with your Grandfather and enjoy some good time together while he hunts.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Go with him.

I went deer hunting last year for the first time (at fifty), and I loved it.

I didn't shoot a deer, but I finished one off that was gut shot and gave the guy my tag.

My father was a butcher and I have seen hundreds of livestock butchered, even deer. Gutting and skinning is gross, no matter how nice a setting you have. Shooting one wouldn't bother me but I was not too eager to learn how to field dress a deer. Surprisingly, I had a great time.

I'd do it for your grandfather. It will be a big thrill to him to give you the experience. Take a couple pair of latex gloves. You may need them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I've pretty much have made up my mind and have decided to go, if I do get a shot well I'll decide then if I take the shot or not.

I have planned on carrying my Glock 23 with me just incase I don't get a clean shot off. I wonder if a deer has ever been killed by a Glock before

Thanks ARFcom!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#24]
If you don't go you'll regret it forever. If you love animals there's no better way to learn about them than to observe them in their own habitat, and there's no better person to teach you than a TRUE HUNTER.

If you honestly do not want to shoot, explain that to your grandfather and tell him how much you'd love to go with him to learn the woods and animal signs. You will not be disappointed.

We hunt here and I've been going since I was seven years old. Sometimes I like to just watch the birds and animals.

I say go with him but do not force yourself to shoot if you do not feel right about it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I respect your right not to hunt.
As you said and others pointed out it is a little silly if you eat meat anyway.
The deer will die anyway.  
Will it make you feel better if it starves to death, gets hit by a car or dies of old age?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I respect your right not to hunt.
As you said and others pointed out it is a little silly if you eat meat anyway.
The deer will die anyway.  
Will it make you feel better if it starves to death, gets hit by a car or dies of old age?

Yeah I thought about that as well
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I knew a guy who loved benchrest and IMSA shooting.  His friends were hunters who asked him time and again to hunt.  He couldnt bring himself to shoot an animal.  So what he would do is deliberately miss.  He took alot of shit for it since his friends knew he was a great shot.  He often blamed the shotgun for not being the 6mm BR rifle or the TC Contender he used.  After awhile his friends stop asking him to go hunting and the guy went back to punching paper and knocking down metal chickens, pigs, and rams.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Are you a vegetarian?

If not, why is a wild deer any more innocent than a cow? chicken? or hot dog?

Go, the deer has more of a chance than those domestic animals ever have.

If you get one you get one. If not you had time in the wild, with your grandfather, sharing some time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've pretty much have made up my mind and have decided to go, if I do get a shot well I'll decide then if I take the shot or not.

I have planned on carrying my Glock 23 with me just incase I don't get a clean shot off. I wonder if a deer has ever been killed by a Glock before

Thanks ARFcom!

yes i gave my 17 to a buddy when he shot one with a 7mm and it didnt kill it. so i gave him my glock 17 to put the head shot in. did great. good luck on the trip and enjoy your grandfather and the time together man. bring a dig. cam also in case he gets a great buck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#30]
You could take a Nytol when you get there.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o156/natarnsco/deerhunter.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top