Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2004 1:08:10 PM EDT
Today as I was in line to rent movies at my local movie shop, an older man (well into his 60's-70's) came in and left a movie in the returns box, and then made a diliberate effort to make sure everyone heard his recommendations of Fahrenheit 9/11 and what a great movie he thought it was. The small crowd around the counter laughed, one gentleman behind me (also a senior citizen) agreed with him and repeated his statements.

I almost lost it, I wanted to explode. The words "Well I think it's a bunch of crap and anti-American crap at that" were right on the tip of my tongue, but I held back.

Well, I've had my first real emotional reaction to a political encounter with a fellow citizen as member of the military, and I don't even ship out to basic till next week. I can imagine how the troops who have finished training, or already had a longer career in the military, and are/have been fighting for our freedom feel when they hear things like this from fellow citizens and political figures alike.  Absolutely rediculous. I wished I'd spoken up as I left.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a netflix account

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Brother, I feel your pain.  I'm a recruiter in an area that doesn't have much military presence and get retirees in the office all the time looking for bumper stickers, hats, keychains (free stuff)--mostly, they just want to remember what it's like to be in the military and shoot the breeze with other service members, so I try to accomodate them when I can.

I had a little old fella come in about a month ago who was really proud of the 4 yrs he served back in the early days of jet propulsion aircraft and we told each other some of our favorite 'war stories'.  He asked who owned the truck out front of the office with the 'Veterans Against Kerry', 'DUBYA 2004' and such stickers in the window.    The old fella must have been sniffing too much jet fuel in his day because he went OFF about how GW is screwing up the country and how sKerry is going to save us all.  Bear in mind, I was in uniform and we're not supposed to show support to political causes while on duty.  I had to simply smile, tell him that he is entitled to his opinion and his vote.  I (sorta illegally) also told him that if he truly appreciates/respects the military and wants us to be safe, then he should do some research and rethink his choice.  I pointed out that sKerry has consistently voted against anything that would make the USA (military) stronger and safer, and that instead of voting for sKerry, he should just skip the foreplay and spit DIRECTLY in my face and see where it takes him.

He left quickly and hasn't come back.  Good f'n riddance, but it shows that you'll find all types in military service...even idiot left wingers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top