Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 8:48:14 PM EDT
What is the difference?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe a sunroof is opaque, so you can see the sun even when closed.   A moonroof is not, it is made of the same material as the roof but can be retracted.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#2]
http://ask.yahoo.com/20030617.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a GREAT question! I have wondered that as well!

The wife's Honda has a "moonroof" and it is tinted...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Sunroof:  Solid.  You can't see through it.

Moonroof:  Glass or something else you can see through.  Often tinted.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I believe a sunroof is opaque, so you can see the sun even when closed.   A moonroof is not, it is made of the same material as the roof but can be retracted.  

Thanks, thats the answer I was hoping for. I found a 2000 Prelude with 46K miles on itfor 11 thousand, looks like a nice car, but I was not sure about the roof.www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190111190&dealer_id=1389274&car_year=2000&model=PRE&bkms=1128315271886&make2=sel_one&lang=&isp=y&start_year=1990&engine=&certified=&fuel=&search_type=used&distance=100&make=HONDA&color=&min_price=&drive=&max_mileage=&address=35127&advanced=y&end_year=2000&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=33
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
efinitions of Moonroof on the Web:

* A sunroof is a cutout in a car's (or truck's) roof that can be opened to provide fresh air and sun to the people inside. A sunroof can be made of the same metal as the rest of the roof, or it can be made of plastic and transparent (usually tinted), in which case it customarily referred to as a moonroof. Moonroofs have a sliding shade in the interior that can be retracted, and were invented by the American Sunroof Company.

Definitions of sunroof on the Web:

* an automobile roof having a sliding or raisable panel; "`sunshine-roof' is a British term for `sunroof'"
     wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* A sunroof is a cutout in a car's (or truck's) roof that can be opened to provide fresh air and sun to the people inside. A sunroof can be made of the same metal as the rest of the roof, or it can be made of plastic and transparent (usually tinted), in which case it customarily referred to as a moonroof. Moonroofs have a sliding shade in the interior that can be retracted, and were invented by the American Sunroof Company.
     en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunro
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I believe a sunroof is opaque transparent, so you can see the sun even when closed.   A moonroof is not, it is made of the same material as the roof but can be retracted.  

I fixed your sentence for you, but you had it backward. A moonroof is transparent, a sunroof is solid/opaque.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That is a GREAT question! I have wondered that as well!

The wife's Honda has a "moonroof" and it is tinted...

And, if it is like mine, it has a cover you can close to cut down on the sun coming in at noon
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:31:34 AM EDT
[#9]
A moonroof may have to be bigger...
depending on how big your ass is.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:51:37 AM EDT
[#10]
the didderence is some schmuck came up with a new name for the same thing (or slight variant) to make dumb people everywhere oogle over the cool "moonroof" name.

kinda like SUV and SUT and SRV and SST and LMNOP, etc.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top