Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2010 1:51:29 PM EDT

How the F does this go in?   99 Blazer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]
from the bolt head, washer, bushing, frame of vehicle, bushing, washer, spacer, washer, bushing, sway bar, bushing, washer, nut.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Except a mechanic on another forum said the nut goes at the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/therealsundance/DSC00550.jpg

Well..a mechanic from this forum says that the mechanic on another forum is full of shit.  nut always goes on top.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well..a mechanic from this forum says that the mechanic on another forum is full of shit.  nut always goes on top.

Curious why does the nut always go on top?
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

well that mechanic is a chevy mechanic and I see why he says so from the pic.

His reason:

You got all but one thing: the nut goes on the bottom so it doesn't interfere with the tie rod over bumps and while turning.

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the bolt touching the tie rod?
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#8]
No it isn't touching.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His reason:

You got all but one thing: the nut goes on the bottom so it doesn't interfere with the tie rod over bumps and while turning.

go to a dealership....start looking at sway bar links.....you'll find the nut on top every time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No it isn't touching.

I'm just trying to figure out why the guy on the other board would say it should be nut down.  Does the bolt touch the rod end when the wheels are turned all the way to the left?  Seems really unlikely to me, but I've never played under a '99 Blazer.

ETA:  FWIW I did an image search for "99 Chevy Blazer front sway bar link" and the few pictures that showed what we're looking for had the nut on the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His reason:

go to a dealership....start looking at sway bar links.....you'll find the nut on top every time.

OEM sway bar has no nut.  THe last large washer is threaded and is on the top.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No it isn't touching.

I'm just trying to figure out why the guy on the other board would say it should be nut down.  Does the bolt touch the rod end when the wheels are turned all the way to the left?  Seems really unlikely to me, but I've never played under a '99 Blazer.

ETA:  FWIW I did an image search for "99 Chevy Blazer front sway bar link" and the few pictures that showed what we're looking for had the nut on the bottom.

"so it doesn't interfere with the tie rod over bumps and while turning."  

I figure he mean going over a bump while turning.   It sticks up much higher than the OEM.

Off to do the other side.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No it isn't touching.

I figure he mean going over a bump while turning.   It sticks up much higher than the OEM.

not going to argue suspension and steering geometry with you...lets just say ..if there is no contact between the sway bar link  and tie rod at any given point...there never will be.

the manufacturers put the nut on top to avoid a bolt hanging down with bare threads  that can get messed up on bumps or curbs..etc...
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No it isn't touching.

not going to argue suspension and steering geometry with you...lets just say ..if there is no contact between the sway bar link  and tie rod at any given point...there never will be.

the manufacturers put the nut on top to avoid a bolt hanging down with bare threads  that can get messed up on bumps or curbs..etc...

Are you talking OEM or after market?

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No it isn't touching.

Right, the distance between the tie rod and the sway bar/link/control arms/anything else in there doesn't change throughout compression or extension.  The only concern I would have is if the new link would interfere with the rod end at full left turn, at which point the end would be closest to the link bolt.  Like I said, it seems like a stretch, but maybe that's the problem?
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No it isn't touching.

Right, the distance between the tie rod and the sway bar/link/control arms/anything else in there doesn't change throughout compression or extension.  The only concern I would have is if the new link would interfere with the rod end at full left turn, at which point the end would be closest to the link bolt.  Like I said, it seems like a stretch, but maybe that's the problem?

Here is OEM...Very short.

Aftermarket vs OEM

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Why did you have to replace them? And does the truck need to be lifted off the ground?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why did you have to replace them? And does the truck need to be lifted off the ground?

I broke one of them.  

I have no idea if the truck needs to be off the ground, but removing the tire made it easier.    It's easier (really the only way) to get the nut on if you compress the sway bar or have the wheel on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#19]
What did the truck react like, With one broken?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What did the truck react like, With one broken?

Don't know...broke it while working on the truck and replaced it.   It would have had more body roll.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top