Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 7:09:35 AM EDT
Search didn't turn up anything on this.

www.nbc13.com/news/4979856/detail.html?rss=bir&psp=news

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- While unaware he was being recorded at a civic meeting, Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright offered a crime solution that has stunned the city of Montgomery and the nation.

"What we need to do... Is there any media? Chief, can I say this? I've said it one time…Get a gun and teach our folks how to use them and shoot' em," Bright said. "Now, I'm telling you, that's what we need to do."

Bright was speaking on the issues of having an understaffed police force, clogged courts and a vast majority of crime in Montgomery committed by the same relatively small number of people over and over again.

"That's the only thing that we can really tell our folks to do at this point in time," Bright said. "If there's anything else that you know that the chief and I can do to keep this crime down, keep these guys from stealing... let me know."

The Montgomery Police Department was asked what their response was to the mayor's statements.

"The mayor made some good points. If a person chooses to own a handgun, then we think it is important they know how to use that handgun and they know when the law allows them to use it," said Lt. Huey Thornton of the Montgomery Police Department.

So far, Bright has not commented on his statements.

Until now.................. and he's scared some Libtards

www.accessmontgomery.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050916/NEWS/509160347/1001

Bright stands behind comments on guns

By Sebastian Kitchen
Montgomery Advertiser

Mayor Bobby Bright is unapologetic and stands firm behind comments he made this week about the need for residents to buy guns and learn how to use them to protect themselves from criminals.

It is a solid concept for people to protect themselves since the criminal justice system is not working, Bright said.

"In my opinion, people need to buy a weapon, buy a gun, ed-
ucate themselves on how to use that gun and they need to use that weapon to protect themselves from the criminal element out there," he said Thursday.

"I will not back away from that concept. It is a sensitive issue. It is simply me as the mayor wanting and caring enough about our citizens here to tell them this may be the best way they can help us protect themselves."

Bright said he will not budge from his stance.

"We have got to put the career criminal on notice, we are not going to take it anymore," he said. "They are not going to walk in and walk out and rob our innocent citizens in Montgomery."

When asked why he asked if any media were present before making comments to a civic group on Tuesday, Bright said he will make any statement at any location but did not want to create hysteria in the media. He said he made a similar comment several years ago and it was reported widely.

Before being elected mayor, Bright was a lawyer. He emphasized the need for people to educate themselves on gun use and understanding when to use a weapon.

The mayor said he is not promoting vigilante justice but is in favor of people protecting themselves and their property, he said.

Montgomery residents had mixed reactions to Bright's comments.

"I think his comments were taken out of context," said Adam Flowers. "It was an appropriate thing to say because it draws the public's attention to the crime problem in Montgomery."

A mother of two children disagreed with the mayor's statement.

"That's ridiculous," said Linda McCree. "That is not how to solve the problem. It's outrageous for our mayor to say something like that."

David Lanoue, chairman of the political science department at the University of Alabama, said he was not familiar with Bright, but said it is not unheard of for politicians to make "intemperate remarks that appeal to members of their constituency."

"You do get political officials that make statements like that now and then," Lanoue said. "It certainly appeals to certain kinds of voters, voters who are particularly concerned about law and order issues. People who agree with the NRA on the gun control issue."

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#1]
We can't have people defending themselves!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Agreed because that is what cops are for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]
You know, Montegomery, Alabama is not that far from Kennesaw, Georgia !

Maybe the mayor has been drinking their water !

(Remember the Kennesaw, Georgia versus Morton Grove, Illinois issue back in the 1980's ?)
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#4]
]www.rense.com/general9/gunlaw.htm[/ur]

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#5]
www.rense.com/general9/gunlaw.htm

wouldn't let me edit above post.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed because that is what cops are for.

We don't have that kind of time, man.  Too busy shooting dogs and eating donuts, dontcha know.

Sheep
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#7]
How is advising people to protect themselves from crime an intemperate remark?

It sounds like damn good advice to me!

Why can't he be our Attorney General?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Civil War is coming.

People are just picking sides now though most are too fucking stupid to know it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Civil War is coming.

People are just picking sides now though most are too fucking stupid to know it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what's happening.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1, that's what I was just wondering. What the hell is intemperate about defending your home or property? I really want to know. The remark did not sound as if it was made in a hostile manner, or said in anger. They also imply that it's just an act to appeal to his constituancy, and not to be taken seriously. Lord I hate the media and it's leftist spin.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Civil War is coming.

How I fear that this statement is true........
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, that's what I was just wondering. What the hell is intemperate about defending your home or property? I really want to know. The remark did not sound as if it was made in a hostile manner, or said in anger. They also imply that it's just an act to appeal to his constituancy, and not to be taken seriously. Lord I hate the media and it's leftist spin.

Somebody needs to step up and get Jorge to appoint this man.

People ask me all the time what they can do to make themselves safe.  My standard response is:

"Buy a gun, learn to shoot it."

I said this at a neighborhood watch meeting.  One of the women in the crowd said something to the effect of "I cannot believe you are encouraging people to own guns."  About 80% of the room looked at her like she was batshit.

The president of the nieghborhood watch group and about 10 core members routinely patrol their area at night, open-carrying.  Since they started, our calls for service there have dropped off the chart.  Five years ago, it was the number-one shithole in my district.

Sheep
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A mother of two children disagreed with the mayor's statement.

"That's ridiculous," said Linda McCree. "That is not how to solve the problem. It's outrageous for our mayor to say something like that."

Translation from soccer-mom-ese:

A mother of two children which somehow adds validity to her opinion disagreed with the mayor's statement.

"That's ridiculous," said Linda McCree. "Expecting citizens to be responsible for themselves? That is not how to solve the problem. It's outrageous for our mayor to say something like that. Doesn't he know we pay good tax dollars to be shepherded by .gov, and make whatever it is somebody else's problem?    "

We need a smiley of a sheep with a pancake on it's head.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Search may not have turned anything up but I could have sworn I saw this same story posted several days ago here?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Linda wakes up to Rapist in her bedroom.

Rapist says, "Get those panties off, B--ch!"

Linda replies, "Violence never solved anything."

or

Linda replies, "Violence begats violence."

or

Linda replies, "You'd better go, or I'll call 9-1-1!!!"

or

Linda replies, "Let's submit this disagreement to peer mediation."

or

Linda thinks back to all of the things she told her children about avoiding violence.

"I know," thinks Linda, "I'll just walk away... oops, he's standing in the doorway, that won't work!"

Linda begins to panic.

"I know, I'll make him my friend, that's what I tell my kids!"

Linda tells the Rapist, "Let's be friends, OK?"

Rapist replies, "That's what I'm talking about, B--ch!  Now, get those panties off before I cut your damn throat!"

Rapist rapes her, cuts her throat anyway.

As her vision dims, Linda's last thoughts were, "Maybe I should have bought a gun..."

Poor, stupid Linda.  It's too late now.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top