Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2018 1:11:19 PM EDT
How many of you do it?

I have been batting around the idea of picking up the Spyder5Pro for the last few weeks and wanted to get the opinion of the subforum hive. The major differences I have seen have been from on screen images and comparing them to prints. I'd rather it be more uniform than trial and error. TIA
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I calibrate my monitor every month.   Which reminds me.....I haven't done it this month.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I calibrate my monitor every month.   Which reminds me.....I haven't done it this month.  
View Quote
This. I have the spyder5 and it is easy to use.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I've gathered its rather easy which is nice. But since I move around my editing(location wise;MacBook) I'm guessing it wouldn't be a terrible idea to do it more often than most.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I do it monthly with an Xrite calibrator and aftermarket software that’s more accurate. Plus I leave the sensor plugged in (but capped) to tube screen brightness as I use it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone use products like the SpyderCube or SpyderCheckr?

Gimmicks or useful?  The cube seems like a nifty idea, however sometimes you don't get the luxury of having a reference photo for ever collection of shots.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Gimmicks or useful?  The cube seems like a nifty idea, however sometimes you don't get the luxury of having a reference photo for ever collection of shots.
View Quote
For commercial stuff for print and take in 14 but aRGB, they’re useful as hell. For 99% or other folks that aren’t going to high definition print or meet requirements, you can balance off a greycard or in post.

The checker/cube/whatever are also for aligning to a specific set of known colors to remove all casts by locking in set points. So if strobe #3 was popping a bit hot or cool, a weird cast from light bounce off someone’s shirt, whatever can be removed and color accuracy is 100% repeatable and reliable. They need replacement every now and again though as UV will fade the cards/chips/swatches.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I do it monthly with an Xrite calibrator and aftermarket software that’s more accurate. Plus I leave the sensor plugged in (but capped) to tube screen brightness as I use it.
View Quote
@NorthPolar, what model Xrite do you use? Just looked and there are a few different ones. I just looked at the X-Rite ColorMunki Smile, looks about what I might need and it's $90.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have never used those, but I do use the X-Rite ColorChecker.

It is a good tool for getting white balance correct, but it is not for calibrating monitors, of course. I like it, but using it for every shoot creates a bit of a problem because of the number of "shoot specific" profiles you end up with.  In a year or two, you could have hundreds of profiles, and keeping track can be a chore (they do have a profile editor program which helps).  My solution was to create a set "standard" profiles and that has worked very well for me.  And I can still create a specific profile if I want.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@NorthPolar, what model Xrite do you use? Just looked and there are a few different ones. I just looked at the X-Rite ColorMunki Smile, looks about what I might need and it's $90.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have used the Spyder 2, and also the ColorMunki.  They both worked, but after a couple of years, the rubber on the ColorMunki colorimeter started to disintegrate, and turned into a mess of black goo.  Had to toss it in the trash.

So, I started using the Spyder 2 colorimeter along with third party software called DisplayCAL.  It works well, but takes a while to run (maybe 1.5 hours), and it does not give me a reminder to recalibrate each month.  But it seems to be quite good software, and I like it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m using a ColorMunki Display with DisplayCal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Y’all have given me a few new things to look into.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for the Colormunki Display. I haven't tried any other calibration devices but I haven't had any issues with the Colormunki, IMO the software is pretty user friendly and easy to navigate.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another vote for the Colormunki Display. I haven't tried any other calibration devices but I haven't had any issues with the Colormunki, IMO the software is pretty user friendly and easy to navigate.
View Quote
This is the one I'm leaning towards. It'll be the immediate purchase after the 70-200 all the pennies are being saved for at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Just a bump.

I see amazon is running a prime day deal on the Spyder5Pro in 30 minutes. I am already watching and if it's a decent discount, I will finally pull the trigger.

Edit: the Prime day price is $99.99. I fent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top