Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2002 10:38:09 PM EDT
The other day at work a former co-worker (who no one really likes) stopped in with his 10 year old daughter. This guy had been fired for poor work and lying about work he was supposed to have done. He was working at another shop for a while and supposedly developed carpal tunnel in one wrist. Six weeks before he went to a doc with his complaint and subsequently filed for workers comp he took out one of those insurance policys that pays 75% of wages in addition to workers comp. After going to a couple different doctors he got one to say he was disabled. Workers comp payed for some kind of retraining so he could get his smog license and not have to work as a line mechanic. After all the classes he still failed the smog test 3 times and never got his license. When I asked him if he was working yet he said no, he couldn't. He says (with a smile) he has 2 pinched nerves in his neck now and was waiting for workers comp to find another doctor for him. He's been off work almost 2 years now.

So what pissed me off so much? [b]As the guy is walking back to his car he he lifts his daughter up from in front of him, while he's walking, and hoists her up and sets her on his shoulders![/b]

Now I know there are plenty of legitimately disabled people out there. I personnally know Sgtar15 and man, [i]that[/i] guy looks like he has a back problem. I've even carried his stuff at the range because he looks in such pain when he shoots (is that dedication or what?). But Sgtar15 is looking for a job he can do. He wants to be a contributing member of society. But seeing this other guy just really got to me. Especially here in Cali where we pay such high taxes and so much of it goes to the "underpriviledged and down trodden". I'd like to not work as much as the next guy. But my dad brought me up to think if I was breathing I was capable of finding a job I could do to support myself. Is it just me, or do other people feel the same way?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
[size=6][b][red]NOW THIS SHIT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/red][/b][/size=6]

Sgtar15

BTW, Thanks for the kind words Rob.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep a camera handy is my advise .
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Keep a camera handy is my advise .
View Quote

Yup.....

Have to hate those people.  The ones that wanna have all the money but just sit on their rear....
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got an employee who pinched her finger in a door and has gotten a POS doctor to put her out of work for 3 weeks.  No broken skin, no bruising no nothin.  Can't even tell anything happened.  She just knows how to work the system.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So what pissed me off so much? [b]As the guy is walking back to his car he he lifts his daughter up from in front of him, while he's walking, and hoists her up and sets her on his shoulders![/b]
View Quote

I'm sure the insurance co. would be most interested in seeing his kind of disability on videotape. You should try to find out who insures him (you know - to see about getting coverage for [b]your[/b] disability?) & drop a dime on him. He could wind up doing worse than sitting around. Theft of this nature is a felony, given the probable amount in question. Considering how premiums get hiked because of toads like him, you should do yourself & every other insurance payor a favor. Insurance is supposed to be a backup, not a cash pit for freeloaders.

Turn the bum in - or help him get hired on at the local range to "hold up targets".[sniper]

"Trust me."
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:37:43 AM EDT
[#8]
i have to go in tomorrow to have my stents redone wyth radiation therapy............

i'd much rather be working or on the firing line...................
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to work with this dipshit who claimed his back was hurt in an auto accident. He was rear ended in his cargo van. From the looks of the van the lady that hit him was only going about 10mph or less. He came to work that day complaining that his neck hurt. He then called an attorney who sent him to [b][i]his[/i][/b] doctor. The "doctor" told him that his back was misaligned and it was injured in the accident. This kid weighed over 300 pounds so his back had probably been in this condition for many years. Anyway, he would always complain that his back was hurting yet he wouldn't take time off from work but he went to physical therapy every day. He was in the shipping department one day and proceeded to jump up onto a counter top that was about 4 feet high without using his hands. He landed on his ass pretty hard. We all looked at him and  said, "I thought your back was hurt". He said, "It is". Whatever! [rolleyes] He kept telling us that he was going to get a lot of money from the accident but I don't think he ever got a check even after more than one year.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to work on heavy equipment, mainly tire, and brake work.. Pinched a nerve, and ended up being out of work a week..The doctors all agreed and reccomended that I definitely should seek another line of work, if I intended to remain out of a wheelchair..

However, they then admitted that my chances of getting any disability were slim to none, because of the work I was doing..
This confused me, and I could not get a clear answer from the state of Arizona regarding it..
Basically I went through about a month of treatment, and still have back/neck problems (Sounds like someone breaking celery)..I did quit working at that job however, and the mechanic work I do now is, while easier, still occasionally causing problems..

When I hear about people who abuse the system to get OUT of work, rather than getting back to work, it makes me wonder about the direction this country, and these bureaucrats are taking..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I personally know a woman who pulled something like that, and the insurance company finally sent a PI to follow her around a little. They caught her on film basically moving a couch by herself and she got nailed.

It's only a matter of time. Unlike the state, who has no problem wasting taxpayer money, insurance companies usually don't take kindly to this crap (unless it's cheaper to pay a claim than to fight it.)
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife is a nurse who works for an internist.  She complains frequently about people who are "shopping" for a doctor to confirm their "disability."  She also sees numerous people who are on total disability, even though there are [b]many[/b] jobs they could do in spite of their [b]partial[/b] disability.  It's pathetic.  They're nothing but leeches on society.  BTW, my wife's doctor won't confirm their request.  He makes them go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Come on, Pathfinder, you live in Commiefornia. It's to be expected. Now that I don't live there, the number of able bodied men that do not claim to have bad backs has now been reduced by one to a total of about 30. Example: I worked an office job at a place near San Francisco. Every time something really heavy was delivered and the warehouse guy couldn't handle it by himself, he'd get in the intercom and ask for people to come and help him. At any given time there were at least 10 men in house, all under 40. All of them would claim bad backs or some other physical malady that kept them from helping out. I'd go out to help wearing dress clothes. Keep in mind, one guy was a triathelete, another raced mountain bikes semi-professionally, another was a bicycle road racer (every weekend), another owned his own scull and would row the bay every Sunday morning. Etc, etc, etc. Get my drift? You live in the land where just about everybody is trying to do all they can to live on Easy Street.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You live in the land where just about everybody is trying to do all they can to live on Easy Street.
View Quote

As if Californians have the market cornered in that commodity. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#15]
mattja: Don't take it as an insult. Look around you-you gotta admit what I'm talking about is true. Maybe Commiefornia gets the most exposure on this, but be honest-do you know anyone trying to pull a scam? There are some great people there-but the lying, cheating-to-get-as-far-as-they-can, pretentious and materialistic individuals are what led me to get the hell out of there. I've been TO more states than that I HAVEN'T been to. California is truly beautiful and wonderful. It's most of the people there that leave something to be desired.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You live in the land where just about everybody is trying to do all they can to live on Easy Street.
View Quote

As if Californians have the market cornered in that commodity. [rolleyes]
View Quote

Gamesniper,

Please don't compare most of California to what you see in the Bay Area and LA.  NorCal is very conservative and often highly pro-gun, not to mention hardworking.

I understand your point, but it is like that in alot of places.

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top