Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 4:27:29 AM EDT
Going to be deploying soon, haven't seen this discussed in other posts.  How much money do you need to take with you, or is there easy access to funds when you get over there?

Thanks,
FA Gunner
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I took a couple hundred bucks here, its been holding out well.  Not much to spend it on, and no ATMs here at all, so bring a checkbook and some cash.  I wouldn't take much more than that.  We have debit/credit card readers at our exchange, and they will give $10 over the amount with a debit card, thats about all the money I'll need, other than local currency, and I can get that from the finance people with a check.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends on where you are going, man. OEF or OIF. I have been given the chance to collect goods from the Middle East on my deployments, but I wish I had brought more money. I would not go again without AT LEAST $500. Preferably $1,000. Just me....    
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Better to have money on hand than not being able to get any or enough when you need it . Between the PX, BK, comfort items, poker $ and odds and ends etc you can find yourself short of cash pretty quick.

The BIAP/Sather AF Finance would only cash a check for $ 75 per week if you were an E-5 or above and $ 50 for below, O's like $ 125 . Don't know about the Army but I would guess a similiar policy....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Take lots.

Even more if you are RIPing with a unit that has been there for a year. You can buy so muh good gear and snivel gear from guys who are on the way out for next to nothing if you are at the right place at the right time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
at the finance office you can usualy get a 250 check cashed or an advance per pay check
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top