Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 4:55:44 PM EDT
Get a fucking life, bitch.  

I can't even begin to imagine what the daughters existance looks like, living with "Mommy Dearest".

news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060208/NEWS10/602080350/1002

Parents protest child's spelling bee loss

RAY HAGAR
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
Posted: 2/8/2006

Parents of an O'Brien Middle School eighth-grader are demanding an instant replay of the Washoe County Spelling Bee after their daughter was eliminated despite spelling a word correctly.

"I'm a momma bear with her bear claws out," Cindy Beckman said. "Spellers and academic children don't get all the accolades that the sports kids do. This is one of their few chances to shine, to get attention and look what happens."

Organizers of the bee -- which includes public, private and home-schooled students -- said they would not grant eighth-grader Sara Beckman another chance even though she had spelled "discernible" correctly.

Beckman's parents did not follow the rules of the bee and protest the judges' mistake immediately after it was made, Washoe County School District spokesman Steve Mulvenon said.

Cindy Beckman and stepfather Jeff Wood waited until the bee was completed to file their protest. The parents said they were unaware of the rule. Bee organizers said rules were announced during the Tuesday event at the University of Nevada, Reno.

"We were trying to be respectful by not interrupting," Wood said. "Sara started crying because she knew that she had the word right. Her teacher was saying, "Hey, this (judges' decision) is not right." Cindy is saying, "Hey this is not right." We rushed down to check a dictionary and came right back to let them know, and they still would not change it."

Sara Beckman finished third but the judges' mistake denied her a shot at first place, her mother said.

"I'll take this to the U.S. Supreme Court," Cindy Beckman said. "I will take this to the International Court of law to fight for my baby's rights."

Mulvenon said "it would be a poor use of taxpayer resources to defend a lawsuit about a spelling bee."

"I would hope that rather than taking legal action, that the parents would come in and talk about their concerns and see if we can find a way to resolve this issue," Mulvenon said. "We would be more than happy to meet with them."

Sara Beckman said she would endure the pressure of an extra round for the chance to win the championship.

"I really do want another chance," she said. "If I had gotten the word wrong, it would be OK, but this is just not fair."

Judges do not deny their mistake but must follow the bee's rule of a timely protest, Mulvenon said.

"She (Sara) spelled the word correctly, that is not in question," Mulvenon said. "The issue is that there is a way and a process to do a timely challenge, and nobody challenged it until after the fact."

"The analogy that I would give, in the NFL, if the coach is going to throw a challenge flag, they have got to do it before the next play begins," Mulvenon said. "Once you go beyond that point, you can't go back."

Cindy Beckman said bee organizers showed her more than three pages of rules and said it would be difficult for any spectator or parent to absorb the rules before or during the event.  

"All I want is for them to give her another chance," Cindy Beckman said. "This is her last year for the spelling bee."
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It must me in the name "Cindy."
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#2]
STFUYSB.

Can ya' spell that one, mummy?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
STFUYSB.

Can ya' spell that one, mummy?

Shut the fuck up, you stupid bitch?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It must me in the name "Cindy."

Your name is "Cindy"????????  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
For the sake of all things un-holy.  These damn soccer moms need to take some frigging ritalin and chill the F&%# out.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
if the dumb bitch has to pay the legal expenses she can knock herself out
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't see why they can't back up to the point where the judges made a mistake.  It ain't like it's the Super Bowl....  

All the rules of the National Spelling Bee are suggested to be used, there seems to be no mandate until the actual National Contest.

15. Any question relating to the spelling of a word should be referred to the designated official immediately in writing on the official appeal form. The official appeal form should contain space for the following: the word in question, the name of the speller, and the reason for the appeal.

16. Appeals may be filed by a parent, legal guardian, or teacher of the speller who is seeking reinstatement in the contest. The judges will not entertain appeals from individuals seeking to dislodge another speller from the competition. The deadline for filing an appeal is before the speller affected would have received his/her next word had he/she stayed in the competition. No appeal will be entertained after that word has been given to another speller. Under Option A, when only five spellers remain, an oral appeal must be made immediately, that is, before the speller affected would have received his/her next word had he/she stayed in the contest. Under Option B, when only two spellers remain, an oral appeal must be made immediately, that is, before the speller affected would have received his/her next word had he/she stayed in the competition.

This way it only makes sense to appeal ANY mis-spelling on EVERY Round.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
IT'S A FUKING SPEELING BEEE FSR CRISTS SAAK

GET A FUCKING LIFE BITCH

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess the Soccer Moms are no longer the only threat... now we have Spelling Moms.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'l bee damed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Perhaps Congress will hold hearing about the matter.  Hell, they'll listen to fucking professional sports disputes;  This should be right up their alley.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#12]
If a JUDGE is so fuggin stupid as to make such a sad pathetic mistake, then the contest should go back to that point and start over. The judge to damn stupid to look at a dictionary before she rules wrongly? The judge is the retard here.

Momma might be overblowing it but she does have a valid point of contention. The judge might have thrown the bee purposely or is just incompetent. Either way, they should not continue with judging unless they can be more professional.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Dang three pages of rules? Goodness I hope no one every makes me read three pages... that's just not right!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Those goofy fuckin Kali Idiots...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Earth to DUMB BITCH: LIFE IS NOT FAIR!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Her kid got shafted.  Good lesson to learn early on, I say.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck the International Court of Justice, but the Mom is right.  If the judges fucked up, and the girl really did spell the word correctly, then she could get another chance.  If they went and checked the dictionary to make sure she spelled it right and that was the cause of the delay, I think that should be taken into account.  No, life isn't fair, but this little girl is getting screwed and oit's not right.  Even if her Mom is a loony bitch.

-K
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Me speling sux.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Word of advice: GET THE FUCK OVER IT. There is nothing involved in the Bee except your and your kid's most fragile self esteem that could instantly be shattered by a judge who made a mistake. Its nothing to shit a turkey over.

You know what my parents did when I lost the spelling bee? Nothing except make me go in my closet and pray. It was glorious.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#20]
The parents didn't read 3 pages of rules? I bet only half of that even applied to the actual spelling of words. Now the little girl can always dream about what could have been. Study even harder for next year. It is to bad though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#21]
If that's is what she wants to do then why do you people give a shit?  There are plenty of other things to get your panties in a wad about.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Which way do you think Alito will rule?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top