Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 7:38:27 AM EDT
What a fu**ing scumbag. I can honestly not believe people nowadays.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mother is arrested having drinks at bar
By Joe Hughes
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
August 25, 2004

A San Diego woman has been jailed on suspicion of locking her 7-year-old son in the trunk of her Volvo while she celebrated her birthday with friends at an Ocean Beach bar, police said yesterday.

The boy told officers he had been locked in the trunk for safekeeping at least a dozen times in the past, for four or five hours at a time.

"I've been in this job four years, and I thought I'd seen it all until this," said child abuse Detective Steve Flores.

Sara Powell, who officers said lives with a boyfriend in a motor home, was being held at the Las Colinas Detention Facility in Santee on suspicion of one count of child cruelty and one count of false imprisonment, according to Sheriff's Department records. Bail was set at $80,000.

The boy was found after San Diego police got an anonymous 911 call from the bar early Monday.

Powell, who turned 27 on Sunday, said she was planning to meet friends at Winston's Beach Club in Ocean Beach on Sunday night and could not find a baby sitter, authorities said.

So, she put her son, a sleeping bag and a pillow in the trunk of the 1985 Volvo about 9 p.m. and told the boy to go to sleep, then went inside to drink, police said.

Police were called after midnight. The boy was found in good condition about 1 a.m.

The boy was taken to the Polinsky Center for children. On the way, he told officers he thought it was weird that he would be locked in the trunk and told to go to sleep, police said.

Terrill Struttmann, founder and executive director of the Washington, Mo., nonprofit Kids 'N Cars, whose mission is to inform the public of the dangers of leaving children unattended in vehicles, was shocked when told of the incident. In most instances, people lock the children in the passenger compartment to run errands. Struttmann said.

"We just don't hear of this happening – people locking their kids in a car trunk," he said. "It can prove fatal. We say never leave your children unattended in a vehicle, even for a minute."

When police paged the woman to get her out of the bar to open the trunk, the boy's first words to his mother when he saw her with three officers were, "I didn't tell them anything," authorities said.

Police said Powell was living with a male companion in a motor home in Pacific Beach. The boyfriend was in the bar with the woman at the time but was not arrested.

Authorities could not say yesterday whether Powell's son was enrolled in school.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
W T F, mate??  When does it enter a MOTHER'S mind that putting her child in the trunk of a car is a GOOD IDEA??  

Bitch deserves what she gets.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
thats about 2 miles away from here, you guys would flip out if you saw OB, bunch of hippies and bums... Plus alot of nice looking ladies.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a rope........
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#5]
That kid is going to have some serious issues with claustraphobia when he gets older. That fucking bitch deserves to be locked in a trunk for a few days to see how it feels.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Shoot the bitch
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I wanted to be a social worker, but I don't think I could control myself during these sort of situations.

And to think some kids get it worse than this poor boy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#10]
This story had a better ending than many.    I'm glad this little boy is alive.  I have no mercy in my heart for his mother.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That fucking bitch deserves to be locked in a trunk for a few days to see how it feels.

Only if the car get dropped off a bridge.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#12]
"Now days"...  Stuff like this has been happeing forever.  It happens more because the population is larger, and is even further magnified by the omnipresent media.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#13]
You mean you're not required to pass a basic intelligence test before you can procreate...?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn, this is the second time I have seen "false imprisonment" levied at a person in custody of a minor child.  Look, fry the bitch for abuse, but this false imprisonment shit has to stop.  How does one falsely imprison a child over whom they are guardian?  I got my ass locked in a room on several occasions when I refused to to stay where I was told.  Was I imprisoned by parents?  Come on.

Again, not saying locking your kid in the truck isn't abuse, it certainly is, but a parent has the right to 'imprision' their child to punish or to prevent them from going where they are not supposed to.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You mean you're not required to pass a basic intelligence test before you can procreate...?

No kidding.  A license to drive, to carry a weapon, to marry...but nothing to reproduce.  I'm thinking of a "Permit to copulate" statute.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Blowtorch, pliers, etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#18]
But, but, but.......
She's a single Mommy......
It's not her fault..........

CKMorley
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top