Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/26/2007 6:19:32 PM EST
I rediscovered some old books and magazines in my basement storage room. They have a little bit of mold on them. I would describe it as a dusting of mold. What would be the best way to remove the mold without ruining the books/magazines, if this is even possible? I would hate to throw them away .
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:37:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By AR_Ron:
I rediscovered some old books and magazines in my basement storage room. They have a little bit of mold on them. I would describe it as a dusting of mold. What would be the best way to remove the mold without ruining the books/magazines, if this is even possible? I would hate to throw them away .

Get some copper sulfate. It is sold to kill tree roots in a sewer and can be found at hardware stores.

Dissolve a teaspoon of it (blue crystals) in a pint of water. Use this to soak terrycloth towels. Dry them to a touch, then use them to clean the mold. They will kill all future mold.

From the CRC handbook of many years ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:29:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2007 7:30:50 PM EST by yekimak]
My wife read that borax (sodium borate) would work as a mold cleaner/killer. We had huge mold problems in an old apartment we rented and bleach would clean up the windows, but the mold would be back after a couple weeks, the ones she cleaned with borax stayed clean.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:12:18 AM EST
Thanks alot guys! I'll give both methods a try.
Top Top