Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2007 7:19:32 PM EDT
I rediscovered some old books and magazines in my basement storage room.  They have a little bit of mold on them.  I would describe it as a dusting of mold.  What would be the best way to remove the mold without ruining the books/magazines, if this is even possible?  I would hate to throw them away .
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I rediscovered some old books and magazines in my basement storage room.  They have a little bit of mold on them.  I would describe it as a dusting of mold.  What would be the best way to remove the mold without ruining the books/magazines, if this is even possible?  I would hate to throw them away .

Get some copper sulfate.  It is sold to kill tree roots in a sewer and can be found at hardware stores.

Dissolve a teaspoon of it (blue crystals) in a pint of water.  Use this to soak terrycloth towels.  Dry them to a touch, then use them to clean the mold.  They will kill all future mold.

From the CRC handbook of many years ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife read that borax (sodium borate) would work as a mold cleaner/killer.  We had huge mold problems in an old apartment we rented and bleach would clean up the windows, but the mold would be back after a couple weeks, the ones she cleaned with borax stayed clean.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks alot guys!  I'll give both methods a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top