Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 4:34:29 PM EDT
Had the unit checked out the other day and there is a lot of black mold in the air handler.  Is this a job I can take care of myself and clean out?  The cost I got from a company to clean it, fog the ducts, and do a little sealing of ductwork was $1100 - ouch.

Any "do-it-yourself" solutions?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Had the unit checked out the other day and there is a lot of black mold in the air handler.  Is this a job I can take care of myself and clean out?  The cost I got from a company to clean it, fog the ducts, and do a little sealing of ductwork was $1100 - ouch.

Any "do-it-yourself" solutions?

welcome to fla

where is this "" mold"" exactly  in the air handler.

not to sound negative but  if it(mold and mold spores) is in the handler ,,its in yer ducts, its in yer  carpet,bed,clothing your whole home!

mold needs a few things to  exsist
h20, and food.

most handlers i have run in to have some sort of ""growth"" of mold/mildew in the areas around the condesation drip pan and coil area as well as any areas that  stay damp( the insulation inthe handler ect)
from what ive seen  ect.. the  only way to really  get rid of the mold is replace it all ,if thats an  option!
Mold can be killed, the spores cant.

ALSO before you have ANY work done  regaurding   anything MOLD like make sure the company doing it  is lic'd, insured and  is cert in mold remidation and removal!!!  ill try and helpyou with any questions  since  i had to sit in 9 hours of class for this same shit!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Lysol?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
20% bleach-water solution (spray it on the mold) and get rid of all excess water.  Mold needs at least 65% humidity levels  and warm temps to mulitply.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I think what I can probably do is continue to run my ozone machine in front of the return air duct to keep anymore from multiplying, and then when the temps cool down a little I can cut the power off to the air handler, use the 20% bleach solution and really clean everything.  Maybe get some duct cleaning or "fogging" done as well.  Luckily we're getting close to the winter season where we won't be using the AC.

We don't have any carpet in the house (terrazo flooring) so that is a good thing.

Most of the mold appears to be in the walls of the air handler and on some of the parts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Got Tannerite?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Got Tannerite?

ROFL - at least your new home doesn't have this problem

Speaking of which, IM me or email me - need to get you over there to get the lease signed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
After the wife meets her first Palmetto Bug you'll forget all about the mold problem...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
It may be too late to install an ultra violet light set-up, but consider it on your new install.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
In addition to spraying the bleach soln (which should stay on for at least 1 hr.) you also have to remove the black material. The bleach may only penetrate the outer layers of the biofilm, and when the chlorine has dissipated, the mold will grow right back. Not only that, by cleaning it, you remove future attachement points for other critters to grow.
Most of the duct cleaning sanitizers I've seen have been pretty whimpy. Bleach does the trick, just make sure that there is enough ventilation when you apply it. Wear a respirator and eye protection.

PS - don't...and I mean don't drip it on the wifes carpet...the voice of experience

WBK
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
After the wife meets her first Palmetto Bug you'll forget all about the mold problem...

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

We used to live in St. Pete - our cats are DEATH incarnate on Palmetto bugs.  Not going to be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want to eliminate the mold, get a dual 18" ultra-violet air purification system install.  They are just 2 high output UV bulbs that are powered ALL the time.  Install them in the evaporator section of your system so the light bathes the evaporator and drain pan.  Run the blower at the lowest speed 24 hours a day and install a good air filter system and the air quality in your home will be top notch.
The bulbs will need to be replaced every year.

www.fieldcontrols.com/uvaire.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top