Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2013 4:37:58 AM EST
Just signed a contract on a house. It is contingent upon my approval of a mold test (basement has a musty, pungent smell to it). Anyone have any experience with these tests or know which ones are good?

I will perform the test myself while i'm there with the home inspector- so i can't leave a spore trap out for hours and hours.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:07:08 AM EST
Hire a pro and have them document the results. If I'm a seller, I'm not trusting anyone without some credentials telling me my house is in some way deficient.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:20:39 AM EST
Also get an estimate for remediation from that professional. The smell is there for a reason. The real question is what will it cost to get it fixed, right?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:32:06 AM EST
Had to have mine tested in the past during a remediation. Keep in mind they measure the spore count OUTSIDE the home and test in the home, then compare. It's not a matter of just checking the basement alone.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:31:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By Thepilot:
I will perform the test myself......
View Quote

Worst idea ever! Being cheap always costs more!

Have a professional come in and to the testing and provide you with a report from a certifed lab of teh findings and the cost to remediate it. That is your only real leverage to having anything fixed. Mold can be remidated. Your little box store test may or may not tell you what is really there. And then guess what......you are just as aclueless as to what to do to fix it and have to call in a professional who is certified and certifies their work.

A professional can be in/out within 30 minutes, inlcuding a air sample that takes only 10 minutes. I had it done on the house I bought in NJ for $450 ($300 inspection with one exterior base swab and ine interior swab along with two air samples taken in the basement and first floor; $75 for the air sample on the second floor; $75 for a second lab swab). It resulted in a report that required $12K of work......which resulted in them dropping the house price $10K and after negotiatiat the job with the guy I paid $8K. I made $4K in my pocket and the house was remediated properly.

Pay now or pay later......
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:19:49 AM EST
fortunately the inspector i found is familiar with the mold testing process and gave me the same feedback you all did. he'll try to seek out the source of the smell, and then can swab and send for analysis if there is anything to test.

thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:29:46 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thepilot:
fortunately the inspector i found is familiar with the mold testing process and gave me the same feedback you all did. he'll try to seek out the source of the smell, and then can swab and send for analysis if there is anything to test.

thanks.
View Quote

Remember finding mold and have remediation is only half the battle. Figure out what caused it and have that fixed as well.
Top Top