Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2009 6:39:29 PM EDT
I buy a couple of cigars occasionally from the local shop, pretty cheap ones usually. I inspect one closer today and it has white mold looking stuff on the end! I bought this cigar yesterday and has been in its sealed tube since then. I should return this right?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's white and looks like "sugar crystals" it is plume, or bloom.  Plume is harmless and normal.   I've usually seen it as small white dots that wipe off easily, unlike fuzzy green mold that was on an ISOM I had improperly stashed for too long.  That said, if you just bought it, your local shop should have no problem taking it back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
well it doesnt wipe off very easily but its on the open end of the cigar so its not like I'm wiping off the side. Also it looks more fuzzy than like sugar crystals.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If it's white and looks like "sugar crystals" it is plume, or bloom.  Plume is harmless and normal.   I've usually seen it as small white dots that wipe off easily, unlike fuzzy green mold that was on an ISOM I had improperly stashed for too long.  That said, if you just bought it, your local shop should have no problem taking it back.

Mold can be white as well and when I used to run a cigar bar I saw more white mold on cigars then blue/green mold.  You are not going to find "bloom" on cigars in a cigar shop as bloom will only develop over time (and lots of it) of the cigars sitting undisturbed and this typically does not happen in cigar shops.  Bloom appears uniformly across the cigar and does not wipe off easily, if you can brush it off with a light touch, it's mold.  Look at it under a magnifying glass and you can see the little spores growing.

Most shops over humidify cigars for 2 reasons...1 the humidors are opened many more times than the typical desktop and the shops want a "buffer" to help prevent the drop in RH.  The other reason is that cigars in a shop are often mishandled and this can lead to damaged product.  The more humidified they are the more "durable" the wrapper becomes to rough handling.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a pic and post it. I have seen at my local shop bloom multiple multiple times. It depends on how long the aging has gone one and how it was stored you can get bloom early.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
well it doesnt wipe off very easily but its on the open end of the cigar so its not like I'm wiping off the side. Also it looks more fuzzy than like sugar crystals.

If it is on the foot of the cigar, then it is mold.  Take it back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top