Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2006 3:50:19 PM EDT
Internet T-shirt Vendor Profits from Mohammed Cartoon Conflict
Download this press release as an Adobe PDF document.

Further fanning the flames of International controversy is conservative t shirt maker, MetroSpy.

(PRWEB) February 8, 2006 -- To see the latest creation from conservative t-shirt maker MetroSpy some would think the Muslim world had every right to be upset. MetroSpy's new t-shirts depict an unflattering caricature of the prophet Mohammed with a bomb on his head.

The controversial cartoon, which first ran in European newspapers, has outraged Muslims around the world because Islamic tradition forbids a graphic depiction of the Prophet Mohammed.

Many in the U.S however, are angered by the violence being displayed by extreme Islamic protesters -- torching buildings, desecrating flags and in some cases even killing people. Annoyed by the violent images broadcast from the Middle East, MetroSpy decided to sell t shirts with the controversial caricature emblazoned across the front.

“We can't let the terrorists win. We can not encourage this uncivilized behavior by caving in to their wishes,” said Nate Thomas, product manager for MetroSpy

On their website (http://www.shopmetrospy.com/), MetroSpy denounces the tactics of Islamic extremists and encourages its customers to stand up against terrorism. "Failing to print these images mean the terrorists have won", the site says.

“We wanted a simple way to exercise our freedom of speech and to stand up to the terrorists. This design was perfect,” said Thomas.

So far, the Mohammed t-shirt has become their best selling item of the year -- more than 120 orders the first day it became available.

Critics of the Mohammed t-shirts say this is a perfect example of why Americans are hated around the world. Finding humor in the desecration of another's religious symbol, even if you disagree, is just plain wrong.

Despite the critics, MetroSpy intends to keep selling the Mohammed cartoon t-shirts.

# # #
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear that image makes a bad avatar.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Did someone get Mod-slapped?  

- BG
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
eh, saw it on Drudge. well, hopefully I don't get banned for this. I temporarily forgot about the restrictions on muslim threads.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

...and others didn't.

"I'm afraid you will have to change your avatar. Posting the pic in a discussion thread is no problem, but using it as an avatar is too much "in your face" to be acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Staff, AR15.com"
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
and the political correctness rolls on.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
well, there's nothing stopping you from buying the shirt.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

...and others didn't.

"I'm afraid you will have to change your avatar. Posting the pic in a discussion thread is no problem, but using it as an avatar is too much "in your face" to be acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Staff, AR15.com"

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
and the political correctness rolls on.

w00t
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

....then wearing the shirt, taking a picture of yourself with it on, and using that picture as an avatar.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to hang it next to my "Infidel" t-shirt.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
guys, this was not meant to be a mod- bashing thread. I am sure they have their reasons why that picture can't be used as an avatar.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

...and others didn't.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Staff, AR15.com"

With the increased traffic to the site among other factors, Staff does need to keep the forum's image in mind.  

I dig the picture and I dig it even more as an avatar.  But this is their house and it has their rules.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't wear that in public. Too controversial. I don't want that attention.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

....then wearing the shirt, taking a picture of yourself with it on, and using that picture as an avatar.

I like the way you think.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#16]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=435800

Dupe to my thread that got locked this morning.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I would.

Are you afraid muslims have bombs in their trunk to "take care of you" once they see that shirt?

You will make them angry. but you are going to make them angry in knowing that in the United States of America you have a right to voice your opinion, political veiws and religion.

It boils down to what you value more, someones feelings about religion or the fact you have a right to say what you want in this country.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I was wondering when someone would make a t-shirt of this.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Crap-  I didnt see that one, and didn't realize it counted as spamming the board. So I guess I have probrobly had the shortest paid account in arfcom history. It's been nice knowing you all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Crap-  I didnt see that one, and didn't realize it counted as spamming the board. So I guess I have probrobly had the shortest paid account in arfcom history. It's been nice knowing you all.

Don't worry about it, friend. The sun will come up tomorrow either way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

...and others didn't.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Staff, AR15.com"

wow

so exercising 2nd amendment rights - because we can - is prohibited because it offends anti gunners?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You must turn in your Man_Card ASAP!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Did this thread just get locked?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#24]
no, not yet, but I am sure it will be any minute now. I just don't understand why you can't post a link to a news story. And further more, why they would lock your account for it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

<snip>

With the increased traffic to the site among other factors, Staff does need to keep the forum's image in mind.  

I dig the picture and I dig it even more as an avatar.  But this is their house and it has their rules.

- BG

What's funny is that you have Dog1's ass cheek for your avatar.      
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

...and others didn't.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Staff, AR15.com"

wow

so exercising 2nd amendment rights - because we can - is prohibited because it offends anti gunners?

This is a privately owned site, what can and cannot be posted here is up to the site owners.  And it’s the 1st Amendment that you are trying to refer to.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

ar15durkadurka.com....Just doesnt roll off the tongue that well does it?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That "I don't want to get involved" attitude is exactly why we are having to scream so loud today.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

...and others didn't.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Staff, AR15.com"

Maybe one that says "Fuck Islamic Censorship!"

Would work well here or Denmark apparently.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#30]

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Staff, AR15.com"

jeez. that is all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#31]
w00t

IBTIL

(In before the inevitable lock)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#32]
IBTLOTDOML (In Before the Lock of the Dupe of My Lock)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That "I don't want to get involved" attitude is exactly why we are having to scream so loud today.  

You guys have never heard the advice to keep a low profile in public, have you?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I must have a weird sense of humor:
I have been thinking of making the same cartoon w/ a picture of 'jesus'--the completely white, anglo--westernized one w/ long locks of blondish hair.

Just cause it is so completely who Jesus IS NOT--he is/was middle eastern...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

...and others didn't.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Staff, AR15.com"

You have got to be kidding me...

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't worry, I had "ebay motherfucker" as my forum title and got mod slapped.  I've counted no less than 19 other members who have similar, or worse in their forum titles and siglines.  Still have em to and it's been a good 2 months since I got my lecture.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Im suprised the mods made him take down that avatar Guess we can't offend the "Religion of Peace"

Where can i get one of those shirts?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Im suprised the mods made him take down that avatar Guess we can't offend the "Religion of Peace"

+1
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

...and others didn't.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Staff, AR15.com"

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I dunno...they burn our Flag, Scream Death to America, Fly Airplanes into Skyscrapers,
Cut Innocent People's throats who are in their country to help them (Nick Berg, etc), they desecrated Christian Churches, oppress anyone who is NOT a Muslim...

Yet they call themselves the Religion of Peace, and are upset by Caricatures of Mohammed,
meanwhile they have been drawing Caricatures of Jesus and of Jews in their Newspapers for Years.

I dunno about you guys, but I think these guys are more than just intolerant, and if they don't like "CARTOONS" of "da Prophit" Mohammed, then maybe they won't mind us throwing the "Holy" Book of the Koran into a Piss and Shit Filled Toilet, with Hamhocks and Cartoons of Mohammed thrown in for Good Measure, Photographing it, Posting it on Websites and calling it "Art".

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I found a place to buy the shirts linked from Drudge, but the site seems to be experiencing extremely heavy traffic....like the kind generated by a DOS attack.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, in all fariness they should print a suitable shit with Jesus on it. I prefer the one where he is armed with the Barrett
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

HEY! I saw that! Can't durn remember though who used it!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

...and others didn't.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Staff, AR15.com"

Ooooooops! Now I know who!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#47]
thread close
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#48]
IBTL: .
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

www.shopmetrospy.com/index.htm?client=shopmetro&catid=1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top