User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2005 1:35:39 PM EDT
Modesto Crime Sweep Nets 45 Arrests
Police: Major Players In Drug, Gun Market Off Street

POSTED: 7:59 a.m. PST January 13, 2005
UPDATED: 9:50 a.m. PST January 13, 2005

Story by The KCRA Channel

MODESTO, Calif. -- A crime sweep in Modesto resulted in 45 arrests, with many of those taken off the streets suspected to have gang ties, police said Wednesday.

Authorities said many of those arrested were major players in the drug and illegal gun market in Modesto and Stockton.

The arrests are the culmination of a massive, 10-month undercover operation involving 300 federal and local law enforcement personnel in more than 20 locations.

Those in custody are facing charges for dealing cocaine, methamphetamine or selling illegal guns.
So many were arrested that police said residents should see a drop in crime.

"I've never seen an operation of this magnitude or of this scale," Modesto Police Department Sgt. Ron Cloward said.

"We're talking weapons and narcotics and there is definitely going to be a difference within Stanislaus County and in Modesto," Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives spokeswoman Nina Delgadillo said.

Some Modesto residents said the arrests will help them rest a little easier.

"Living on a street with rentals it's nice to know police are doing their job and keeping us safe ... especially having two children, it's even more important for my husband and I," Modesto resident Amanda Rich said.

Authorities said their work is not finished and that they plan to make more arrests, but they say they have at least taken a major step to making neighborhoods safer.

Investigators said Modesto police and federal agents are still looking for 37 people -- many of whom will face federal charges with lengthy prison terms.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
That's why we call it "Molesto".
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
If those firearm charges are legit, then hooray. More people off the streets who put gun owners in a bad light.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#3]
did they arrest gary condit too?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to know what thier definition of "illegal guns" are.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the usual MO. 1. Arrest a large group of people on gun and "drug charges." (Of course if they're dealing in stolen guns, throw the book at them) 2. Well publicize it. 3. Release convicts out on probation, early parole or light sentences (no publicity). 4. Allow them to commit more crimes. 5. Ask for more gun/drug controls in order to protect the public from rising crime rates. 6. Repeat steps 1-5.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd like to know what thier definition of "illegal guns" are.

Stolen.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's why we call it "Molesto".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top