Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2014 11:31:33 AM EDT
I've owned a YJ and a TJ wrangler. Both were fun, especially the TJ. Might be looking at getting a new JK soon.

My question is why do we see soooo many 4-door Unlimited Jeeps now? Especially the tricked out / lifted ones. I always thought that the short wheelbase was what helped Wranglers get through the thick shit and really tough trials?

I've heard someone say the 4-doors are actually better for off-roading and have better turning radius

Any input or first hand experience?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#1]
They fit a family that's why they sell.

Better for off-roading as a 4dr no. The wheelbase has benefits but also downsides. Give me a stretched 2dr jk and that would be perfect.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always preferred a SWB vehicle.

4 doors become the norm when a vehicle is sold to soccer moms who never offroad it.

XJ... 2 and 4 door.

ZJ... 4 door...

WJ... 4 door...

See the de-evolution?  Broncos were axed because they didn't have a 4-door variety.  This is making me wanna actually fix my Bronco and get it trail-sorta-ready again.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They fit a family that's why they sell.

Better for off-roading as a 4dr no. The wheelbase has benefits but also downsides. Give me a stretched 2dr jk and that would be perfect.
View Quote

+1

Most JK's hardly see a gravel road, much less real offroad duty.

I've had a 2010 and a 2013, both were 2DR. The 4DR is also a good bit more expensive, and carries more weight with the same engine. The new 2012+ engine isn't terrible, but the JK's prior to that would have probably sucked pretty bad with that extra weight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The 2 door jk has a longer wheelbase than the tj but is actually not as long bumper to bumper. Ive read 4 doors are better for stability going up steep hills.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Please do yourself a favor and don't buy a a new jeep. Have you not read the countless threads on their reliability issues, including but not limited to transmission failures?? Just don't do it, ok!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've owned a YJ and a TJ wrangler. Both were fun, especially the TJ. Might be looking at getting a new JK soon.

My question is why do we see soooo many 4-door Unlimited Jeeps now? Especially the tricked out / lifted ones. I always thought that the short wheelbase was what helped Wranglers get through the thick shit and really tough trials?

I've heard someone say the 4-doors are actually better for off-roading and have better turning radius

Any input or first hand experience?
View Quote

I have a 2 door and I like it off road because of turning radius.  I like the looks of 2 door with doors off better than the 4 door.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Please do yourself a favor and don't buy a a new jeep. Have you not read the countless threads on their reliability issues, including but not limited to transmission failures?? Just don't do it, ok!
View Quote

Thank you captain obvious

It's a JEEP such things are hardly new and are part of the pay to play you get to own a vehicle that's more than a soulless transportation appliance
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#8]
remember how Ford made all those profits selling suv explorers at elevated prices?

the wrangler XL is making "Jeep" a ton of money

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a 2 door for over a decade then got the 4 door. I'm glad I did. It's much more versatile.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my 4 door better offroad. But the 2 door did have a better turn radius.

Just cause I like pictures.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I drove my neighbors 2014 JKU Sahara the other day. It was like driving a freaking Cadillac compared to my lifted '06 TJ. I liked my TJ better for just scooting' around town and off road. Going on long trips with the wife, and rolling with the top down would be pretty nice. She wants one, but her little short ass has a hard time getting in mine as it is, and I won't have a Jeep without at least 33s on it. I hear with a leveling kit, you can run 35s on the new Jeeps...but I'd damn sure have to verify that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:41:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a CJ, TJ and current have 2 '12 JK's. All were 2 doors. One is mine and the other is my wifes. She had a choice of either and went with the 2 door. To me a Jeep has always been SWB. I drove a friends 4 door more than a few times (he had an 08 and 11) . Never really cared for either. It drove well, especially on the highway. The 4 doors do seem to be popular with the soccer moms.

As far as reliability goes, they (the new ones) have been rock solid. The only thing that has gone wrong (and it has been on both of them), is the chrome plastic ring on the stick shift broke. Just the tabs, but that is it. The tire and rim size on mine give it a little different ride than my wifes. Her Sahara has 18's with more streetable tires than the 17's with BFG MT's on my Rubicon.

The on road ride compared to my TJ in either of the JK's is night and day as is the gas mileage. The 3.6l in the V6 also has a lot more power than straight 6 4.0l in the TJ. I still have a soft spot for my old TJ. It was an overly simple vehicle that just worked. My JK I do really like and as time goes by I have no doubt that will only grow as I don't intend on changing mine anytime soon. My wife feels the same about hers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's a JEEP such things are hardly new and are part of the pay to play you get to own a vehicle that's more than a soulless transportation appliance
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I just got a 2015 rubicon 2dr. this will be my second jeep( my former was in the 2000 year. I will be putting the back seat in storage and running it as a two seater. most of the fires I have been able to find info on had the auto transmission in them, im getting the manual transmission not only for the joy of rowing my own gears but for that one extra gear. the 2dr is lighter. lots of people tell me to get the auto and the 4 dr. people all over the world struggle with things... the seating in a 2 dr and the lighter overall weight and performance of this truck I think out weigh the cumbersome 4 dr 5 speed auto. for what I plan to use it as.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]
also another note. im going with a hard top in body color with black fenders. I am a gun owner and im looking into a rifle mount to lock a gun inside. my open top will be found in using the freedom top panels up front. I will also be installing an 2m / 70cm dual band ham radio in this unit. first mods will be to get the locking mopar hood mod and a locking gas cap. its a jeep thing. =)
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#17]
another note. I have no plans to put a lift on mine. I do plan on going with a different tire. im keeping mine stock except for the lights up front and to the rear. CB too will be put in it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Some valid and not so valid comments here, lol. But thanks for all the replies. If I get a new JK (Rubicon) I will be looking for the best off road and 4wd capabilities, not the most room for a grocery getter. I have seen a lot of 4 dr Jeeps done up by professional off roaders and some videos of them conquering hardcore terrain. That's what,got me asking the question I did. Hopefully I can decide which one will be best. Not going to be my daily driver. Minimum pavement riding
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Jeep Wrangler: 1987-2006

More simpler is more better. Especially when you're off-road.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

True for the most part. But Dana 44's and 4:10s in the factory Rubicon JK sounds like a win to me! I loved my TJ but it needed some suspension and drive-train work to keep up with the factory Rubicon's
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#21]
They are great, I love mine.  The ruggedness of a wrangler, with the cargo room of a small suv.  Great for road trips.  I recently took a trip with a few of my friends (all big guys) and no complaints about leg room, headroom, etc.  Plenty of space for luggage, and the 4 door models look awesome with a hard top.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#22]
delete
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I drove my neighbors 2014 JKU Sahara the other day. It was like driving a freaking Cadillac compared to my lifted '06 TJ. I liked my TJ better for just scooting' around town and off road. Going on long trips with the wife, and rolling with the top down would be pretty nice. She wants one, but her little short ass has a hard time getting in mine as it is, and I won't have a Jeep without at least 33s on it. I hear with a leveling kit, you can run 35s on the new Jeeps...but I'd damn sure have to verify that.
View Quote

You can run 33's with no lift and 35's with leveling kit and finder trim.
I got 33's on my 14 JK with JKU springs but you do not need them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
True for the most part. But Dana 44's and 4:10s in the factory Rubicon JK sounds like a win to me! I loved my TJ but it needed some suspension and drive-train work to keep up with the factory Rubicon's
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, you'd have to either find a cheap totalled yet useful Rubi to swap all the goodies or spend a fortune on new parts, but for the price of a JK you could buy a TJ/LJ Rubicon (factory D44's w/4.10) and use the savings to trick it out. As far as I know the only tangible pros the JK offers over the TJ/LJ models are fuel economy, creature comforts, and the ability to tuck 33's without a lift.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I agree, you'd have to either find a cheap totalled yet useful Rubi to swap all the goodies or spend a fortune on new parts, but for the price of a JK you could buy a TJ/LJ Rubicon (factory D44's w/4.10) and use the savings to trick it out. As far as I know the only tangible pros the JK offers over the TJ/LJ models are fuel economy, creature comforts, and the ability to tuck 33's without a lift.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

....Also, better transmission, front and rear differentials, more power, better brakes, better suspension to name some more and Brake Lock Differential.

BLD in action: [youtube]http://youtu.be/39rghzD8URY[/youtube]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Rubicon AND Sahara's both run a 32" tire stock (255/75R17 / 255/70R18). There's plenty of flex room built in, even with the sway bar disconnected. I've seen a few JK/JKU's around our Jeep club running 33's with no lift, no trimming - either on aftermarket wheels, or spacers* on the stock wheels. With some trimming, I've personally seen plenty of JK's on 34/35" tires running 2-2.5" total lift. 3-3.5" is good for 35's, with no trimming, running stock flares & liners.

*The stock wheels have way too much backspacing. For a taller AND wider tire - spacers are your friend.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to see this confirmed. The Jeep dealership is literally 3 minutes away from my house. I love my old TJ...but the 2015 2dr Wrangler is calling my name and getting louder each day...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Glad to see this confirmed. The Jeep dealership is literally 3 minutes away from my house. I love my old TJ...but the 2015 2dr Wrangler is calling my name and getting louder each day...
View Quote

I've got a '13 JKU with MB TKO wheels (3.75" backspacing I believe), 33's, and a 1" leveling spacer up front. I barely rub at full stuff on the rear.  35's and a leveling kit would require a fender trim/flat fenders from what I have read and my experience so far. When these tires wear out I'll go 2.5" and 35's.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've got a '13 JKU with MB TKO wheels (3.75" backspacing I believe), 33's, and a 1" leveling spacer up front. I barely rub at full stuff on the rear.  35's and a leveling kit would require a fender trim/flat fenders from what I have read and my experience so far. When these tires wear out I'll go 2.5" and 35's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems like alot of jk's run 35's but wont that wear out your front suspension and front axle really quick?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Shorter wheelbase isn't always better.  Longer wheelbase is better with climbing.  Shorter wheelbase means better break over angle, so less chance of getting high pointed.  

JKU's also let you wheel more easily with a harem of hotties in the backseat.  You will need this because chicks love Jeep guys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It seems like alot of jk's run 35's but wont that wear out your front suspension and front axle really quick?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends how hard you wheel it. Daily driving with mild trails/mountain passes on the weekends would be okay. Trying to rock crawl will tear stuff up quicker. A lot of guys beef up the c-gussets and ad sleeves to the axle. I will likely beef up the c-gussets for sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
....Also, better transmission, front and rear differentials, more power, better brakes, better suspension to name some more and Brake Lock Differential.

BLD in action: http://youtu.be/39rghzD8URY
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really don't know so please explain how the differentials are better/different. Also, yes, the JK makes more power, but at over 1k more rpms so that's actually a strike against it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a "newer" JK...she's an '09.

I am not a fan of the 4 door styles...my girl can turn on a dime (and has often had to!)

I love it.

As far as "reliability" and all that shit? Well people...it's a Jeep. Shit happens.

If you want German engineered excellence and froo froo bullshit, buy a Beemer and go get a manicure and a latte.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I really don't know so please explain how the differentials are better/different. Also, yes, the JK makes more power, but at over 1k more rpms so that's actually a strike against it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The differentials aren't different.  

BLD  with open rears, all the power goes to the wheel that is easier to spin.  when one wheel slips, it hits the brake on that side.  This causes the other tire that is on the ground to start turning.  Thus moving you along.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

BLD  with open rears, all the power goes to the wheel that is easier to spin.  when one wheel slips, it hits the brake on that side.  This causes the other tire that is on the ground to start turning.  Thus moving you along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I asked. I didn't think there was a difference.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#36]
All jeep jk axles are 100% different than tj axles. Still called a d30 and d44 but the housing, carrier, gears are all bigger on the jk. They actually have drain plugs to change the oil. They are wider. A set of rubicon jk d44s actually is a decent upgrade for a tj. Still not 1tons but stronger than stock tj stuff. They are wider too, bigger brakes, different lug pattern, etc
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm on my 5th Jeep now and I'm picking up Rubi takeoffs on the cheap from Craigs List.

The others were a 56 Willys, 79 CJ7, 78 CJ-5 and 2010 JK.

My 2014 is the best Jeep I've owned and I plan to baby it for about three years, as I have other bush rigs.

Early JKs can be picked up in the 13-15k range around here and can serve as a great base for a specialized trail rig versus, trashing a brand new JK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top