Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2004 3:23:00 PM EST
"Hobby rocketry as we know it is in extreme danger. Years ago we made a big mistake when the BATF included APCP on their explosives list. We should have fought it tooth and nail at that time, but since they didn't really enforce it, and many motors were considered "Easy-Access" the majority let it go. The BATF slowly and steadily increased their grip on our hobby and when September 11th came they decided that we are a threat to National Security. In the post 9-11 hysteria the Congress passed the Homeland Security Act (HSA). Many civil libertarians were justifiably alarmed at this, since many of our rights are now gone. Someone merely has to be accused of being a terrorist and all of a sudden the Government has the "right" to pull you out of your house and hold you indefinitely without formally charging you, without allowing you to see an attorney, and without having to notify anybody of where you are or what happened to you.

What does this have to do with the hobby of model rocketry? Well hopefully you know that our Congress has never met a bill they didn't like to attach riders to. One that was stuck on the HSA was a bill that had failed before, called the Safe Explosives Act. The combined HSA/SEA along with the BATFE's improper classification of APCP as an explosive will spell the end of rocketry as we know it and the end of many of the businesses which support it.

Currently we are fighting a two front war against this oppression. The first front opened up when NAR and TRA combined forces and launched a lawsuit against the BATF. See their websites [links] for updates on the current status of the lawsuit. The second front was opened by John Wickman and Senator Enzi. It is a legislative effort to get APCP hobby motors exempted from these regulations."

www.hipower-rocketry.com/BATFE_Battle.htm
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:27:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:31:47 PM EST

I wonder if there'll be a Pre-ban rocket and a Post-ban rocket?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:32:55 PM EST
The only place I know that sells sorbitol and ammonium nitrate for model rocket fuel at an affordable price was shut down. This is probably why.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:35:07 PM EST
is there an update or major change pending? hobby motors up to e are still readily available in my area. but maybe its the hard core guys that are getting the shaft.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:37:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 3:39:25 PM EST by IamtheNRA]
Hello and welcome to last year...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:38:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By torstin:
is there an update or major change pending? hobby motors up to e are still readily available in my area. but maybe its the hard core guys that are getting the shaft.

There are two grades of hobby rocket. The black powder school kid Estes rockets, and high power rocketrty that uses the same solid fuels used in the Space Shuttle boosters and military rockets.

You can buy commercial high power rocket engines, or you can make them yourself in your garage from chemicals like ammonium nitrate, ammonium perchlorate, powdered aluminum, and magnesium. Democrats think terrorists will make rockets to commit terrorism, and cant see why anyone would want to do something as silly as make rockets anyway.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:46:21 PM EST
ive done limited reading on the high power aspect..mianly to see what was going on and to get an idea of the capabilities. i was aware of the commercial engines, but nearly everything i came across said that assembling an engine was a highly precise and procedural process. equipment,facilities.chemicals.etc. i never would have thought it possible to safely set up a garage operation. at what skill and knowledge level does it become possible??
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:51:01 PM EST

ive done limited reading on the high power aspect..mianly to see what was going on and to get an idea of the capabilities. i was aware of the commercial engines, but nearly everything i came across said that assembling an engine was a highly precise and procedural process. equipment,facilities.chemicals.etc. i never would have thought it possible to safely set up a garage operation. at what skill and knowledge level does it become possible??

Very low levels. If you can cook a cake, you can probably build a model rocket engine.

www.space-rockets.com/newbook.html

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:53:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By raven:

Very low levels. If you can cook a cake, you can probably build a model rocket engine.

www.space-rockets.com/newbook.html

Then I can't...everytime I bake a cake, it blows up...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:11:32 PM EST
Ammonium Nitrate is easy enough to get in the Anchorage area. They just look at you funny and ask if you are pulling any Timothy McVeigh stuff.

My favorite recipe was AN and powdered sugar. only a few percent less powerful than the really dangerous stuff, and much better than black powder/Estes motors.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:20:16 PM EST
IIRC there is an industrial oxidizer called Solid Ox or something like that. It's supposed to be more pure than farm grade AN. Mixed in proper preportions with sugar,and cooked correctly, you've got a serious propellent.
Top Top