Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 11:52:09 AM EDT
I just stopped by Wally World to see what Mobile 1 cost, I found three things:

A) The normal high priced quarts, over $5.00
B) A case of 6 quart sized bottles, $32
C) A big 5 quart bottle, $19.99

I've never seen a 5 quart bottle before, I was wondering if this could be one of those "package for Walmart, possibly lower quality" types of things?  The price difference is what's making me question it, especially since no sales were mentioned.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
it is cheaper due to less packaging and volume sales
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been using the 5 qt. bottle for a while now.  They are great.  Only one bottle to pitch.  Save one, cut the side out and use it for a drain pan.  Works great.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I buy the 5 quart container of Mobil 1 at Wally-world.  5 quarts is exactly what my truck holds.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not an expert, but I will tell you that it's spelled "Mobil".  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

no, this is Alabama 1 oil, duh
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why?

To everyone else, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

because the name of the product manufacturer is MOBIL
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

because the name of the product manufacturer is MOBIL

Why is he telling me that?  Why didn't you tell me that?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I didnt think it was terribly important
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I didnt think it was terribly important

Me either, which is why I asked "why" when he took the time out to tell me about it.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
There are 2 Mobil 1's. The extended performance and the std. One has more additives for 15K performance and is priced slightly higher.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There are 2 Mobil 1's. The extended performance and the std. One has more additives for 15K performance and is priced slightly higher.

M4-AK

I saw that one, but all the ones I looked at for comparison were the standard Mobile 1.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just stopped by Wally World to see what Mobile 1 cost, I found three things:

A) The normal high priced quarts, over $5.00
B) A case of 6 quart sized bottles, $32
C) A big 5 quart bottle, $19.99

I've never seen a 5 quart bottle before, I was wondering if this could be one of those "package for Walmart, possibly lower quality" types of things?  The price difference is what's making me question it, especially since no sales were mentioned.

I have been running the walmart 5 quart bottles of Mobil 1 oil for years.  Never had any problems.  I buy about 3 of them at a time.  Then i go over to auto zone and buy 3 filters... & I have enough on hand to maintain the car for a while.  I have never had any problems with this oil.

I think it is cheaper because of packaging... and IMAGINE the volume in which walmart buys these things.

Have a good one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, it's settled, I'll buy the 5 quart jug.

My trucks used 7 quarts so I'll buy 3 jugs which should be perfect for 2 oil changes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My trucks used 7 quarts so I'll buy 3 jugs which should be perfect for 2 oil changes.

Hell, buy 15 jugs and stock up..
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it lasts that long.  Even if it does, a $317.84 investment in it just isn't worth it, there is nothing to gain by putting that money out now.  What if my next vehicle doesn't use 10W40?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I buy Mobile 1 5W30 for my 2003 Tacoma V6 at Walmart, a 5 qt jug and a 1 qt jug for oil changes every 5,000 miles
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it lasts that long.  Even if it does, a $317.84 investment in it just isn't worth it, there is nothing to gain by putting that money out now.  What if my next vehicle doesn't use 10W40?

Were not talking about 2% Milk..  Shelf life for unopened oil is 5 years, opened bottle is 1 year.  You ever seen a shop before with 100 gallon tanks of Engine and Hydro oil....  I'm also willing to bet you pay more for oil 1 year from now than you would today. I'd never buy 5 years worth of oil, but I usually get 2 cases and about 4 filters at a time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Were not talking about 2% Milk..  Shelf life for unopened oil is 5 years, opened bottle is 1 year.  You ever seen a shop before with 100 gallon tanks of Engine and Hydro oil....  I'm also willing to bet you pay more for oil 1 year from now than you would today. I'd never buy 5 years worth of oil, but I usually get 2 cases and about 4 filters at a time.

I'll challenge that 5 year shelf life of Mobil 1 statement.

15 jugs IS 5 years worth of oil, so why are you telling me to buy it when you say that you won't?

If a shop can't go thru their tank of oil in a couple months to a year, they would be out of business.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

15 jugs IS 5 years worth of oil, so why are you telling me to buy it when you say that you won't?

If a shop can't go thru their tank of oil in a couple months to a year, they would be out of business.

I was joking about buying 15 jugs..  There's tons of businesses, farmers, repair shops, etc., that buy bulk oil which lasts them several months to a year if not longer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was joking about buying 15 jugs..  here
Several months to a year, yes.  Five years, no (not optimal at least).
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#22]
all your Mobil 1 faq's here Mobil 1

Well, everything but shelf life.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I use Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles. Can some one answer this? At Costco or Sam's I was paying $23.99 for 6 quarts. Just within the last month or so, it's shot up to $27.99 for 6 quarts. Why??? Now, I know what everyone is thinking. Petroleum prices are up. But, why would that matter when it's "FULLY SYNTHETIC"??? WTF!! Oh well, I'll tuck n my skirt, quite crying, and buy more.

Kris
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I did a search for -  "oil shelf life" mobil

Link #1

Link #2

Link #3

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been using the 5 quart bttles for a few years now.  I don't think it's any different than any other Mobil One.  The company would really catch some shit if they were selling lesser quality oil in the 5 quart jugs.  Same with the Castrol GTX and Syntec in the 5qt bottles.  Same as the 1 quart oil.

-K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top