Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 12:55:46 PM EDT
Hello all.  let's say a person has a mild lactose intolerance (can eat small amounts of ice cream, but can eat as much cheese as he wants with no penalty.  This person doesn't know whether he can drink a glass of milk without consequence.  He used to be able to. hasn't tried in years.)

So I guess he has to limit his lactose intake, not completely eliminate it.  Are there things other than milk you can mix whey protein with and have it taste decent?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to be a dick or anything but whey protein is milk based, so are you sure that that part of the milk would not bother you or him or whoever.

If the whey itself does not bother you, I would think you could mix it with Soy Milk (Silk) or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh..... water.

And don't eat or drink anything soy if you're trying to build muscle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
This person should get over his fear of a little gas and try drinking a glass of milk.  Whey protein without milk sounds...unappetizing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Uh..... water.

This, and I mix all my protein with water.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Uh..... water.

Please explain why, I am intrigued.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh..... water.

Please explain why, I am intrigued.

Soy has phytoestrogen.

Men's Health

The jury is still out, but soy may inhibit testosterone levels in men and it definitely raises men's estrogen levels. Those are two things you definitely don't want when trying to put on muscle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, I had no idea.

So soy is part of the feminization of society.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks, I had no idea.

So soy is part of the feminization of society.

Pretty much. There is a theory it's one of the reasons we're all fat with bitch tits. Soy is in pretty much every processed food.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I mix all my protein with water as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Whey Protien + Water + Ice * Blender = good
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:59:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Rockstar.......
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I mix mine (milk and egg) w/ OJ and a banana.Not sure how the whey would be but it's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I always add carbs and fats to my whey shake.

Bananas, Oats, PB, flax, and i even blend cheerios.

always make my shakes 40p/40c/20f
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Uh..... water.

yeah I never mixed my whey with anything other than water. Unless I put it in some oatmeal to give it some flavor.

+1 on what he said about soy too, can convert to estrogen when it is metabolized.

J-

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Easy breakfast/pre or post workout drink:

Take oats and blend them alone to make oat powder. Then add protein, ice, and water and blend. The oats are much easier to drink when made into a powder first.  Another tip: get unflavored protein powder. You can then use jello or pudding mix in whatever flavor you want. A little goes a long way. That way you aren't stuck with a big jug of whatever flavor you bought. I know I get sick of drinking the same flavor over and over.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I mix mine (milk and egg) w/ OJ and a banana.Not sure how the whey would be but it's worth a shot.

should be a good combo
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#17]
i've tried mixing it with water but it tastes like ass.  drinkable but not good.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#18]
In this case water is definitely your friend, if you're a little more adventurous a vanilla flavored whey protein mixed with lemon lime Gatorade tastes like key lime pie.  My personal protein shakes are generally: 2 scoops of chocolate whey, oatmeal, scoop of natural peanut butter, ice, and skim milk.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#19]
milk (2%) and water are the only two things I've ever used with whey.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#21]
thanks for all the input guys.  I bought some Body Fortress Chocolate flavored Whey Protein from Walmart.  I didn't see that brand or any of the others for sale as having an unflavored variety.  I know you should do the whey protein either shortly before or shortly after your workout, but I wanted to make sure I don't have a reaction to it, so I made myself a drink tonight at 12:20.  I imagine that if I'm gonna have a bad reaction (more than a little gas) it will probably occur within a half hour to an hour from then..  What I did was buy Hills Brothers Cappucino (chocolate flavor) and poured hot water and stirred it until the cappucino was completely dissolved.  Since I've read on other threads that hot water would be bad for the protein powder, I let it cool completely and then stirred in the protein powder.  I think it would even be decent with the protein powder by itself.  But cold coffee and chocolate protein powder equals yum.  Again, thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In this case water is definitely your friend, if you're a little more adventurous a vanilla flavored whey protein mixed with lemon lime Gatorade tastes like key lime pie.  My personal protein shakes are generally: 2 scoops of chocolate whey, oatmeal, scoop of natural peanut butter, ice, and skim milk.

exactly how i make them.  best protein shake imho, been drinking these everyday for about three years.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I mix all my after-workout protein shakes with water.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#24]
when i've been out of milk, i've used fruit punch and thought it was pretty alright tasting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I mix with water. Its doesnt taste that good, but i just down it like a really bit shot.

12oz goes down in about 4 gulps.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Another update, no bad reaction to the whey protein whatsoever, either yesterday when I tried some before bed or today after my workout.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top