Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/27/2006 8:28:10 AM EDT
I guess stuff like this really gets me since I had my own guns and ammo stored in my bedroom when I was 8 years old. So now this guy is facing multiple felonies and some asshole contractor can pat himself on the back because he did the "right" thing. Don't get me wrong, loaded firearms around kids not properly educated isn't a good thing, but a felony, that's a little over the top.

Mix of kids, guns gets dad in trouble with law

By SHAMUS McGILLICUDDY
The Patriot Ledger

MARSHFIELD - A contractor working in the house saw the shotgun and the three children playing inside, police said.

Police officers went to the house on a tip from the contractor, and Stephen Robicheau’s wife let them in.

Robicheau was arrested this week for keeping in his house two unsecured firearms that were accessible to children.

Lt. Phil Tavares said the contractor, whom he did not identify, reported that shotgun was in plain sight when the children played.

Robicheau, 33, of 81 Island St., was arrested Wednesday after police found a shotgun and handgun in his home.

He was charged with three counts of having an unsecured large capacity shotgun accessible to children; three counts of having an unsecured small capacity firearm accessible to children; one count of having an unsecured large capacity shotgun; and one count of having an unsecured small capacity firearm. All but the last charge are felonies.

Robicheau pleaded innocent in Plymouth District Court.

‘‘The contractor had concerns over the shotgun being in the house without a security device on it, and he was further concerned that three young children under the age of 5 were there,’’ Tavares said.

Police went to Robicheau’s Island Street home and spoke with his wife. She led them inside, Tavares said.

Tavares said police saw three children near the open door of a bedroom. One of the children was the Robicheaus’.

When police went into the bedroom they saw an unloaded, large-capacity Remington 12-gauge shotgun leaning against the wall inside a closet that had no door, Tavares said.

Five feet from the closet they saw a 12-gauge shotgun shell sitting on a windowsill, he said.

Also in the closet they found a pistol magazine with 10 .40 caliber hollow-point bullets.

In the top drawer of a bureau they found a Beretta .40 caliber pistol loaded with 10 hollow-point bullets.

Tavares said there were no security devices on the weapons.

Police seized both weapons and the ammunition.

Robicheau, who was not at home when police went to his house, reported to the police station later. He surrendered his license to carry a firearm and was then arrested by police.

There was no response to a phone call to Robicheau’s home.

http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2006/01/27/news/news04.txt
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF?

We used to take our 22s out in the desert to shoot after school...

Where's that tsunami?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#2]
What state?  Mass?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:32:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The homeowner should have stored his arms so nosey, bugeyed, do-gooders can't see them.

+1 on when I was a kid my guns and ammo were in my room.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What state?  Mass?

Yea, its a real horrorshow in mass. This article just made me a lot more paranoid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What state?  Mass?

Yes

Florida has a storage law but it is only applicable when a person under 16 exhibits the firearm in a careless manner or in a public place and obtained that firearm as a result of unsecure storage. That is a second degree misdemeanor.

I guess I would be commiting a felony in MA since I have a few old shotguns and rifles leaning in the corner of the closet and my son stays here (no more room in the safe) The ammo is seperate and he knows it would be his ass if he touched them without me around. He has no fascination with firearms anyway since he has seen them just about everyday for 8 years and they are no big deal to him. I do lock the room when he has friends over though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
What a bunch of commie bullshit. Is there a legal defense fund we can give money to for this guy?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Rediculous.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The guy's biggest error in judgement was living in MA.  I'm not sure if stupidity is a felony there.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If a contractor ratted me out like this, NO. 1 the payment check would bounce for certain, which would be the least of my worries as more than likely they'd find that bitch dead in ditch, with his tongue cut out.

Mike

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah that's Mass.   They seem to be putting extra effort lately into bringing honest citizens up on felony charges for "gun crimes"  The AG there is a raving antigun guy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#11]
My parents' guns were secured when I was a kid.  Their security device was, "Don't fuck with these or I'll beat your ass!"

It worked better than any trigger lock ever invented.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If a contractor ratted me out like this, NO. 1 the payment check would bounce for certain, which would be the least of my worries as more than likely they'd find that bitch dead in ditch, with his tongue cut out.

Mike

You're not alone in that way of thinking I'm sure
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Hell when i was a kid there were guns in just about every closet
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Give me a fucking break, half of Alaska would be in jail. I used to hunt spruce chickens on the way to school and put my gun in my locker. I had access to my .22 since I was 5 years old.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The homeowner should have stored his arms so nosey, bugeyed, do-gooders can't see them.

+1

Also sounds like ol' Robicheau needs to have a "come to Jesus" talk with his wifey-poo about letting The Man into the house.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#16]
There are no crimes in Boston inner cities?  These people don't have enough to do, but probably just doing some easy pickings by prosecuting a good guy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My parents' guns were secured when I was a kid.  Their security device was, "Don't fuck with these or I'll beat your ass!"

Same here....

OK, this guy is going up on felony charges for having unsecured UNLOADED firearms in his house....  What a bunch of commie BS
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There are no crimes in Boston inner cities?  These people don't have enough to do, but probably just doing some easy pickings by prosecuting a good guy.

Exactly.  The cops are going to pick on the easiest targets, like they do with speeders.z
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#19]
misfire.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
While I think trigger lock stuff is generally bullshit, would you guys do what this guy did?  Leave the house with a loaded shotgun standing in the corner of your bedroom and kids home alone?

Unloaded
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Give me a fucking break, half of Alaska would be in jail. I used to hunt spruce chickens on the way to school and put my gun in my locker. I had access to my .22 since I was 5 years old.

Yes because free citizens of the great state of Alaska are much more responsible and self-possessed than those poor souls trapped in the mockery of freedom that is todays state of Massachusetts.

Poor things.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I wouldnt let a contractor in my home unless I was there to oversee said contractor (If I was currently residing at that house).  Having people in your home, without you being there, is asking for trouble.  Overzealous prosecutors are just as much trouble.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
While I think trigger lock stuff is generally bullshit, would you guys do what this guy did?  Leave the house with a loaded shotgun standing in the corner of your bedroom and kids home alone?

The mom was home, I believe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unloaded

Yeah, I misread it, disregard my post.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#25]

MARSHFIELD - A contractor working in the house saw the shotgun and the three children playing inside, police said.

Police officers went to the house on a tip from the contractor, and Stephen Robicheau’s wife let them in.

Operation TIPS
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Ah, yes.  "Safe storage" laws.

They're for the chiiilllldren.

So, how's the guy supposed to support his family while his ass is in prison for the FELONIES he "committed" by having unsecured firearms?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#27]
This was in Boston - right?

*shakes head*

I swear - that city espeically - but the whole state is run like some gestapo camp.

My dad had about 2 dozen guns and ammo in his room that i could have access to at any point.

When I moved to a new house around 6th grade, they got their own "closet". But I think it was 4 more years before he decided to put a lock on it. And I think that was more for people that were over that he didnt know (new friends) vs  me or my siblings.

He still had a few guns unloaded, but ready, on a rack in his closet - just in case.

Bah - what totaly nazi like faggory (with apologies to the fags).

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey, I hate a rat just as much as you but remember, there's no such thing as an unloaded firearm (notice I didn't use weapon) and the guy was a total ass leaving his stuff lying about, kids or no kids. If you need to knock MA, knock the fact that thier felonies, there goes the whole enchilada right there. But hey, if you look cross eyed at at someone and they say you threatened them then that's a felony. Fartings going to be a felony soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey, I hate a rat just as much as you but remember, there's no such thing as an unloaded firearm (notice I didn't use weapon) and the guy was a total ass leaving his stuff lying about, kids or no kids. If you need to knock MA, knock the fact that thier felonies, there goes the whole enchilada right there. But hey, if you look cross eyed at at someone and they say you threatened them then that's a felony. Fartings going to be a felony soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Be glad you do not live in Kansas.  Here a firearm is considered an inherently dangerous device just like TNT.  If it gets loose the owner is liable even if stolen etc.  The case is Wood v. Groh if you want to look it up.  The operative language form the court's syllabus is

"Firearms are inherently dangerous instrumentalities and commensurate with the dangerous character of such instrumentalities, the reasonable care required is the highest degree of care."

and from the body of the opinion:

'Kansas has long followed the rule that the highest degree of care is required of all responsible persons having ownership or control of dangerous explosives such as dynamite and firearms. . . . [T]he degree of care has to be commensurate with the dangerous character of the instrumentality and a duty to exercise the highest degree of care never ceases.'" 265 Kan. at 861.

It is a fairly recent decision based on some bad law in Long v. Turk .  I still have not figured out why the NRA or someone has not lobbied to change it to a standard more consistant with our siste states.  Interestingly, most home owner policies do not cover damages due to the use or storage of inherently dangerous instrumentalities.  Luckily, the carriers have not been pushing it either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#32]
dirty rat and a snitch
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I would make extra sure the check bounced for the contractor.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1 on when I was a kid my guns and ammo were in my room.

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That only worked when you could actually beat their ass........
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#37]
1) The gun safe and wall rack have been stored in my bedroom since I was 14. My best friend's parents kept their gun safe and hunting gear in his bedroom closet since he was 10. Big fucking deal.

2) How the FUCK is it anyone else's business what goes on that man's house?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#38]
This kind of stuff is spreading.
It is getting worse every day.

What can be done to stop it?  Whatever it is, it isn't being done.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#40]
YOU GUYS HAVE NO COMMON SENSE

Answer me a question:  

should a firearm ever be considered unloaded?

or should it always be treated as loaded?

ANSWER - treat it as if it were loaded.

Another question:

should a firearm be placed where a child or irresponsible adult can get access?

ANSWER - NO, DUMBASS

i've been shooting since 1970 and I would never leave guns lying all over my house.

because shit happens.

don't try so hard to be a big gun expert freedom hero.  it gets in the way of common sense.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#41]
which fucking communist hell hole did this happen in?

ETA, never mind I should have known in was Mass.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Hey, I hate a rat just as much as you but remember, there's no such thing as an unloaded firearm (notice I didn't use weapon) and the guy was a total ass leaving his stuff lying about, kids or no kids. .

quit talking crazy.

you must hate freedom
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Answer me a question:  

Another question:

ANSWER - NO, DUMBASS

i've been shooting since 1970 and I would never leave guns lying all over my house.

because shit happens.

don't try so hard to be a big gun expert freedom hero.  it gets in the way of common sense.

OK dude, but it's not a fucking felony.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Answer me a question:  

Another question:

ANSWER - NO, DUMBASS

because shit happens.

that's a different subject
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Answer me a question:  

Another question:

ANSWER - NO, DUMBASS

because shit happens.

that's a different subject

Obviously not, since the guy is being charged with felonies for just that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

When I was young my friends use to joke that there was a gun behind every door at my house.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I am NOT - repeat, NOT - defending the MA felony law or the contractor , but c'mon guys...

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Same here....

Quoted:
My dad had about 2 dozen guns and ammo in his room that i could have access to at any point.

When I moved to a new house around 6th grade, they got their own "closet". But I think it was 4 more years before he decided to put a lock on it. And I think that was more for people that were over that he didnt know (new friends) vs  me or my siblings.

He still had a few guns unloaded, but ready, on a rack in his closet - just in case.

Quoted:
+1

Quoted:
+1

Quoted:
When I was young my friends use to joke that there was a gun behind every door at my house.

Can all of you fellow gun-nuts and Arfcommers (those who were ordered not to) honestly say that you never, ever, not-even-once snuck a look/feel/whatever of the "forbidden fruit" when your folks were away?

Honestly?!?!  

I was a "good kid" and I can't even make that claim.  My Dad was a USAR MG and a strict disciplinarian.  Like your Dads, he kept them separate and out-of-sight and threatened me severely to stay away... but, even at that age, my love of guns overtook my fear of my Dad a time or two.

Maybe my reactions to these kinds of topics are colored by what I do for a living (reviewing child deaths ), but in this day and time with very affordable instant-access safes and lock-boxes there is IMHO no excuse for a child  to have access to a loaded firearm.  (When a "child" becomes old/mature enough to have their own or full access and act responsibly has to be a parental judgement call, of course).    IMO, unfettered access with children around is the hallmark of irresponsible ownership and the poster-child for stronger "gun control."  And, no matter how mature, educated, or well-trained you think they are, please don't think it can't happen to your child.  I have seen it, first hand, more times than I'd care to remember with parents who were just as certain...

Flame away, if you must - I'm sure I've stepped on a few toes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#48]
yet another example of how easy it is to become a felon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#50]
One important point you guys are missing.

It does not read as if the Cops had a warrant.

Those of you with significant others.  Go tell them, right now, or reiterate if you have already done so, in no uncertain terms if the cops show up and ask to come inside - Without a Warrant, tell them NO!! politely.  Under no circumstances let them in.  

If they threaten to get one, tell them to do so then they can come in.

No, I am not a cop basher, but cops have no business being on your place unless you request their presence or if they have a warrant.  

If she had just said NO, her hubby would not be headed for the poke me in the bad place, place.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top