Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 12:19:01 PM EDT
Anybody know much about this guy?

Romney to announce he won't seek re-election
Governor is expected to seek GOP presidential nomination in 2008
By Frank Phillips, Globe Staff  |  December 14, 2005

Governor Mitt Romney will announce at 6 p.m. that he will not seek re-election to a second term, setting the stage for an expected campaign for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination, a senior aide to the governor said today.

Article Tools
Printer friendly
E-mail to a friend
Mass. RSS feed
Available RSS feeds
Most e-mailed
Reprints/permissions
More:
Globe City/Region stories |
Latest local news |
Globe front page |
Boston.com
Sign up for: Globe Headlines e-mail | Breaking News Alerts The aide told the Boston Globe that Romney will announce that he will fill out his term, which ends in January, 2007. The move is widely seen as another step in his plans to launch a presidential campaign. His announcement today is expected to be televised live from the State House.

The 58-year-old businessman, son of former Michigan Gov. George Romney, has spent less than three years in elective office, but in that time the state has closed a $3 billion budget deficit without raising taxes, schools have scored first in national math and science tests and Romney held out until the Legislature gave him a tough new drunken driving law he demanded.

Romney began calling supporters and other political figures this afternoon to let them know of his decision. In between calls, he was putting the "final touches" on his announcement speech, which his wife, Ann, planned to attend, the source said.

The governor and his wife were scheduled to visit the Globe Santa sleigh in the city's bustling Downtown Crossing area at mid-afternoon, but the appearance was abruptly canceled. The source said the governor instead attended a luncheon for Hurricane Katrina volunteers at a nearby private club, after attending a Christmas party for members of the Governor's Council in his closed suite of offices.

The announcement ends months of speculation over whether Romney, who took office after winning the 2002 gubernatorial election, would seek the presidency after only one term in office. He confirmed last spring that he was testing the presidential waters. During the past year, he has made frequent trips out of state, often to states that are considered key primary battle grounds in a presidential campaign.

His decision not to run for re-election clears the way for his hand-picked successor, Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healey, to officially launch her campaign. She is expected to face opposition from businessman Christy Mihos.

In the Democratic primary, Attorney General Thomas Reilly and former civil rights enforcer Deval Patrick are seeking their party's nomination.

Romney had cast himself as "a red speck in a blue state" during an October speech to a Washington think-tank, one of many similar comments across the country during the past year that had been viewed as disparaging Massachusetts -- the land of the Kennedys and two failed Democratic candidates for president portrayed as out-of-touch liberals.

Should he run for president, a decision he is expected to announce closer to the 2008 election, Romney will need to break through a pack of more prominent Republicans, including Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

There has also been an undercurrent of concern among Christian conservatives, particularly in the vital South, rooted in his Mormon faith. One political operative in South Carolina branded the religion a "cult."

(Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.)

© Copyright 2005 Globe Newspaper Company.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
He had no problem when Massachusetts created their own AWB when the real one was getting close to expiring.   That's enough to worry me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!  That's all I needed to hear.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I once had a waitress at a restaurant named "Romney." She was HAWT!

And when I say I "had a waitress" I mean ...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The Christian Right in the Republican Party will NOT support a Mormon for the Top Job.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Big thumbs down.

But I wouldn't worry about him being nominated though.  The conservative elements of the party would blow their lids at the thought of the "Gay Marriage State" governor representing them.

Bottom line: He doesn't have a chance
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anybody have any thoughts on who may run against Hitlery in 2008?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a chance in hell.  He might run as an "Independent" and help get Hillary elected...but no way does a liberal northeastern Republican win the Party's nomination.  The last man to get even a bit close was Nelson Rockefeller.  WAY too much baggage for this guy, regardless of how competent he may appear or  how photogenic he is.

Fuggeddaboudit!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Two thumbs down, He is a Mass republican (democrap ANYWHERE else)
He was responsible for Hiking our Pistol permit fee's to 100.00 and signed the POS updated AWB.
No friend to gun owners at all.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But I wouldn't worry about him being nominated though.  The conservative elements of the party would blow their lids at the thought of the "Gay Marriage State" governor representing them.

Of course you realize that Romney had nothing to do with the whole gay marriage thing, don't you? It was shoved down the throats of the people of Massachusetts by the MA Supreme Court.

Romney is against gay marriage.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you all are underestimating the stupidity of the voters. The Right Wing of the Republicans will not support him but the moderates and some Democrats will.

He did not have alot to do with the Gay Marriage things, that was strictly the Courts. He tried to get a Marriage Amendment IIRC but the Legislature held it up.

For me, he is non starter but most of the country does not think like us.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Rommney, McCain, Giuliani ...

Seems like the GOP have some sort of death wish.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course you realize that Romney had nothing to do with the whole gay marriage thing, don't you? It was shoved down the throats of the people of Massachusetts by the MA Supreme Court.

Yep I'm aware of that.  Doesn't make any difference; he's still the governor of the "Gay Marriage State"

Do you really think any so called Republican from an ultra liberal northeast state like Mass would have a chance at nomination?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep I'm aware of that.  Doesn't make any difference; he's still the governor of the "Gay Marriage State"

Do you really think any so called Republican from an ultra liberal northeast state like Mass would have a chance at nomination?

Without commenting on his chances of getting the nomination, I thought it should be clear that he DOES NOT support gay marriage and what happened in his state can happen to any other state (courts legislating from the bench).

MA won't be the last state to have this happen.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
One political operative in South Carolina branded the religion a "cult."

Just one?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

None of those 3 will get elected as Republicans. The Conservatives nor South will vote for them. They are media creations only.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A big +1 to that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top