Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 2:01:29 PM EDT
So yesterday, I noticed a red 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (VIII) at one of our Mitsu dealers. Later, I came back, and test drove it. It was fucking amazing. I know they're not a ferrari or anything, but it was freaking fast. I knew they were quick but never experienced it until yesterday. I scared the sales guy that rode with me haha. I'm in love, and I really want one now.

When I move back to Oklahoma this coming week, I'm going to bust my ass and possibly get one. Anyone have opinions on Evo's? Good / bad? I'm doing a little more research on it, such as performance figures, aftermarket parts, etc...

Worth getting? Let me know.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop by a Subaru dealership and check out the 2004 or 2005 WRX STi

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

ETA: I think the modification market for the Subaru is larger than the Mitsubishi
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Stop by a Subaru dealership and check out the 2004 or 2005 WRX STi

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

ETA: I think the modification market for the Subaru is larger than the Mitsubishi

How is insurance on the wrecks, I mean WRX?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Hope that fresh engine is OK
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get the STi for a daily driver (better low end, don't have to keep trhe revs up), but definetly nothing wrong with that EVO.

The aftermarket for BOTH cars is VERY strong. There are 800+ hp Evo's...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a used Z06. I've driven both, own one (guess which) The difference is astounding and though the Mitsu still serves up some mean moves and has a back seat the car looks like an injection molded POS on the inside. And the used Z06 will probably still be more reliable. My .02
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The 4G63 has been around for about 15 years.  The 2.5 turbo in the Subaru has been around for about 2.  Dollar for dollar in mods, the Evo beats the Subie.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get a used Z06. I've driven both, own one (guess which) The difference is astounding and though the Mitsu still serves up some mean moves and has a back seat the car looks like an injection molded POS on the inside. And the used Z06 will probably still be more reliable. My .02

Z06's are badass, but waaayyy out of my budget right now.  Even used.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Used Z06's run about what new Evo's do. I got mine almost brand new for 40k 3 years ago. You can easily find low mileage ones in the low 30's.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Used Z06's run about what new Evo's do. I got mine almost brand new for 40k 3 years ago. You can easily find low mileage ones in the low 30's.

This EVO I test drove had 25K on the odometer, and they were originally asking 27,xxx but it was marked down to 25,xxx.

New they're 30-34G, I don't think I can really pull that off.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This EVO I test drove had 25K on the odometer, and they were originally asking 27,xxx but it was marked down to 25,xxx.

New they're 30-34G, I don't think I can really pull that off.

Roger that, I thought you were looking at a new one. For 25k that's a pretty good deal, just make sure you're positive about that engines' condition. Don't want to sound like I'm bashing but I haven't heard anything good about that engines' durability.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not getting this one.  I'm just looking around right now.  When I get to OK, I won't be working right off, I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can about it before I go jumping into something.  But when time comes, I'll def take a real close look at everything mechanical with it.

I have / had a '97 Mustang GT, and have always wanted a Cobra, so I've also been concidering an '03 / '04 Mustang Cobra.  The 03's are going for what this same EVO was.  I know the Cobra is more brutal and faster than the EVO.  But hell, I don't know, I'm horrible at decisions.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Evos are amazing.  they have a huge following just like the older dsms(not a dsm I know)  and the market for add ons is huge and fairly cheap.  Did you know it even has little squirters that shoot the intercooler with water to cool the intake temp and increase hp?  Now thats thinking.  Get the evo they are awesome and the 4g63 is bombproof.  They took everything wrong with the older 4g63 and fixed it and then made it breathe even more.  Just watch the clutch drops or you will be replacing it soon.  Remember the stock clutch will slip before all 4 tires do.  As far as a WRX skip it you will be mutch happier with the EVO.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just watch the clutch drops or you will be replacing it soon.  Remember the stock clutch will slip before all 4 tires do.

I noticed the clutch didn't engage until just before I took my foot off of the pedal.  Took some getting used to.  

My buddy said the aftermarket is fairly expensive, but you say otherwise.
His friend has an EVO that runs 11's, and told me it'd take about 6G to just get into the 12's.

I'm not really looking for all that though.  I'm not wanting this to race.  I've learned my lesson with that.  Which is why I don't have that '97 Mustang GT anymore.  (I have chronic neck pain as a reminder to not be a fucking idiot anymore)

I just want something that is fast as nuts, fun to drive, looks good.  I'm digging the whole all wheel drive, turbo thing.  And have always loved EVO's before they made it to the states.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I would take an EVO platform over a WRX/STI for the following reasons.

- The boxer design on the WRX/STI is a pain to work on, expect a spark plug change to take at least an hour.

- The 4G63t engine has been proven over and over again as one of the most (if not the most) strongest 4 cylinder engines in the world.

- I prefer the 4G63t since I learned on them, they come easier to me.

- Easy access to information regarding maintenance, upgrades...etc (dsm.org, vfaq.com...etc)

David Buschur, the grandfather of DSM's has been tasked by Mitsubishi Motors in the US for staged and warrantied upgrades. See buschurracing.com.

The only caveat I am aware of on the Evo is a weak clutch and the fact Mitsu(read SATAN) has been known to eyeball certain "upgrades" as performance-minded and will null the warranty or deny warranty work, such as a turbo timer.

My buddy Jeff bought an Evo as a daily driver, now it's a daily driven 400whp monster. His other car, coincidently is a 700whp Mitsu 3000gt VR4 Spyder. I'm not saying you can't daily drive a fast Scoobie, because that's not true, I'm just saying just because you make a Mitsu fast does not mean it will break all the time.

REMEMBER: DSMs - cheap, fast, reliable; pick 2.

If your friend spent that much to get into the 12's he's insane. I've spent about 10k in all (not including the cost of the car) to get my DSM to put down 550whp (no nitrous), and it still has AC and power steering, is very streetable, reliable, and still emissions legal. Not sure what it will run in the 1/4, but I would expect somewhere in the low 11's at 130+mph. Just a thought...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Stig,

I dig your handle. Gotta love British humor and love of cars. Whatcha listening to on the radio?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
GET THE EVO!!!

I got the Subaru before I drove the EVO - serious buyers remorse

The 2006 MR will have even more horse power and other improvements....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
GET THE EVO!!!

I got the Subaru before I drove the EVO - serious buyers remorse

The 2006 MR will have even more horse power and other improvements....

WRX or WRX STi?

Kind of matters...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#18]
On the show Top Gear, a EVO8 MR400 beat a AWD  Lamborghini Murcielago  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I have no specific experience with the EVO, but I hate Mitsubishi.  I do emissions tests and they smoke and fail more than any other manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#20]
THellURider,

Heh, thanks man. Ever notice on Top Gear, Jeremy's headrest on his chair he sits in has a built in AC? Crazy Brits... I unfortionately do not share the same musical interests as the real Stig, however, I'm probably just as reckless as he is around that test track, HAHA.

The MR is really nice, but, as usual we get shafted while the Europeans get to play with the FQ400, which is a piece of art. Although, the new MR with MIVEC does sound interesting...and I hear it doesn't make as much noise as Honduh's VTEC.

Unfortionately, most DSM owners seem to overlook the fact that their car is 10+ years old and just start throwing performance crap at it and try to make it faster rather than doing proper preventative maintenance on a car that has been around since '90. That and they also tend to half-ass things as well. I hate Mitsu as a company. If they would have followed certain examples and continued the DSM line or eclipse line with the 4G, they could have had something like the Dodge SRT-4. 20k dollar boost-happy poor-mans' sports car. Instead what do they do? Turn the decent looking 2nd generation eclipses into some girly pos with shitty sport-tronic trans. and a pussy V6 that looks more like a chrysler sebring than a rally-inspired AWD affordable platform.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
On the show Top Gear, a EVO8 MR400 beat a AWD  Lamborghini Murcielago  

They call those Evos the FQ-400...FQ is factory designation for "Fucking Quick" Those cars will run with the 1/2 Million Dollar supercars
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I always wondered what happened with David Buschur.  I used to go to his site all the time when I had my 92 DSM AWD.  That resource and www.dsm.org were extremely valuable.  I think Todd Day ran the DSM.org site.

I miss my car.  My '96 Saturn with 210,000 is now my ~ 90 HP sports car...just because it is a five speed and that is what my wife lets me drive.

Get the EVO.

Quoted:
I would take an EVO platform over a WRX/STI for the following reasons.

- The boxer design on the WRX/STI is a pain to work on, expect a spark plug change to take at least an hour.

- The 4G63t engine has been proven over and over again as one of the most (if not the most) strongest 4 cylinder engines in the world.

- I prefer the 4G63t since I learned on them, they come easier to me.

- Easy access to information regarding maintenance, upgrades...etc (dsm.org, vfaq.com...etc)

David Buschur, the grandfather of DSM's has been tasked by Mitsubishi Motors in the US for staged and warrantied upgrades. See buschurracing.com.

The only caveat I am aware of on the Evo is a weak clutch and the fact Mitsu(read SATAN) has been known to eyeball certain "upgrades" as performance-minded and will null the warranty or deny warranty work, such as a turbo timer.

My buddy Jeff bought an Evo as a daily driver, now it's a daily driven 400whp monster. His other car, coincidently is a 700whp Mitsu 3000gt VR4 Spyder. I'm not saying you can't daily drive a fast Scoobie, because that's not true, I'm just saying just because you make a Mitsu fast does not mean it will break all the time.

REMEMBER: DSMs - cheap, fast, reliable; pick 2.

If your friend spent that much to get into the 12's he's insane. I've s

pent about 10k in all (not including the cost of the car) to get my DSM to put down 550whp (no nitrous), and it still has AC and power steering, is very streetable, reliable, and still emissions legal. Not sure what it will run in the 1/4, but I would expect somewhere in the low 11's at 130+mph. Just a thought...

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
....deny warranty work, such as a turbo timer.....

Can you please explain, why it will void the warranty? I can understand, if it's something like a boost controller, bigger turbo, ported manifolds, etc. but a turbo timer?

IMHO, it should be standard on all turbo engines, not only will it cool down the turbo but the turbo setup itself will last longer.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Car and Driver think it's better than the STi, for what that's worth:

www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6640

G
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Car and Driver think it's better than the WRX, for what that's worth:

www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6640

G

Now if they only made the STi or the EVO in a wagon...  Guess I'll just have to settle on souping up my WRX wagon.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#26]
My BIL has an 2003 Mitsubishi Galant, and hasn't got much trouble out of it.  If I were going to buy a new Mitsu, it would be an Evo.  The rest of them look like ass,(especially the newer Eclipse.)  

They used to make a "Lancer Sportback" wagon, but it was offered in the "standard" Lancer trim and killed for this year.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Fun, but I think I'd go with a WRX STi

Either way, why the hell would you be running those on a 1/4 mile?  They're ment to TURN!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My BIL has an 2003 Mitsubishi Galant, and hasn't got much trouble out of it.  If I were going to buy a new Mitsu, it would be an Evo.  The rest of them look like ass,(especially the newer Eclipse.)  

They used to make a "Lancer Sportback" wagon, but it was offered in the "standard" Lancer trim and killed for this year.  

Mercedes AMG 55 wagon.  Fastest wagon you can buy.  Faster than some Corvettes.

G
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top