Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 6:31:00 AM EDT
How will that impact gun rights and the RTKABA?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
McConnell has an NRA "A" rating and fought the horrid Campaign Finance bill all the way to the Supreme Court. We could do far worse, say like any of the major players with a (D) after their names.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I forgot all about that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe we will get a Senate leader with balls.  Frist and Lott were/are panzies!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have the specifics on Mitch since I moved to Kentucky 5 years ago and he was already elected then...but I will say this.  In 95% of Kentucky's state wide elections if you do not support "gun rights" you will not get elected.  This goes for Democrats and Republicans alike.  

Outside of the urban centers in Louisville pretty much all the Democrats on the state level in Kentucky have A rating from the NRA on gun rights.  That is how pro-gun Kentucky is.  

Mitch is no exception to that.  As for specifics, how hard he would push for legislation, what type of legislation he would push for, I can't give you any.  I do remember seeing him on TV pushing the pro-gun agenda but again I don't have the specifics.  I'll see what I can find.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Swire!

I found he hasn't cosponsored repeal of the DC handgun ban but that doesn't mean he doesn't support it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is what I've found so far.

The first part of the info comes from
www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/Mitch_McConnell_Gun_Control.htm

Voted YES on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers.

Voted to pass a bill that would block certain civil lawsuits against manufacturers, distributors, dealers and importers of firearms and ammunition, mainly those lawsuits aimed at making them liable for gun violence.

Voted NO on background checks at gun shows.

Voted YES on more penalties for gun & drug violations.

Voted to table or kill a motion to require that all gun sales at gun shows be completed by federally licensed gun dealers. Also requires background checks to be completed on buyers and requires gun show promoters to register with the Treasury.

Voted to table an amendment to make it unlawful for gun dealers to sell handguns without providing trigger locks.

The following URL covers all the main issues and his stances
www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Mitch_McConnell.htm
Voted YES on limiting death penalty appeals. (Apr 1996)
Voted YES on limiting product liability punitive damage awards. (Mar 1996)
Voted YES on restricting class-action lawsuits. (Dec 1995)
Voted YES on repealing federal speed limits. (Jun 1995)
Voted YES on mandatory prison terms for crimes involving firearms. (May 1994)
Voted YES on rejecting racial statistics in death penalty appeals. (May 1994)
Rated 13% by CURE, indicating anti-rehabilitation crime votes. (Dec 2000)
Establish an FBI registry of sexual offendors. (Oct 1996)

Strongly Favors topic 10:
Absolute right to gun ownership
(10 points on Social scale)

Mitch McConnell is a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Mitch always seems to speak softly but carries a big stick.  That's been his job though, to be in the background and get stuff done.  I don't know how he would be on the frontlines.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mitch always seems to speak softly but carries a big stick.  That's been his job though, to be in the background and get stuff done.  I don't know how he would be on the frontlines.

Mitch fought against the horrific Campaign Finance "Reform" bill like a man on a mission. He fought it on the Senate floor. He fought it in the media. He fought it in the courts all the way to the Supreme Court. If that is any measure of his tenacity, I say we could do far worse, even among the top Republicans.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Swire
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I've wrote to Mitch several times via email concerning gun rights and the RKBA.
He seems to be very ProGun in his responses and I'm pleased with the content of his reponses.
Does anyone know if he's an NRA member?
I think I read that somewhere once.
Anyway, I think he's a good guy.
"Stick with Mitch" (old campaign add).

cc
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#11]
He voted to give illegals amnesty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top