Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2004 4:04:09 AM EDT
Could there be any kind of link between the supposed missing explosives in Iraq and that big ass explosion that occured in N. Korea?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:23:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Could there be any kind of link between the supposed missing explosives in Iraq and that big ass explosion that occured in N. Korea?

Wow, that's an interesting theory. I guess it could be feasible, but that's along way to move that type of (and that much) ordnance without detection.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:38:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a plane crashed while carrying it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Why exactly would North Korea (let alone Iraq) go through all the effort of moving such a quantity of very basic explosive to North Korea?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By
Stoney-Point:
Maybe a plane crashed while carrying it?

I think he is referring to the train crash and resulting explosion that took place a few months ago.

Quoted:
Why exactly would North Korea (let alone Iraq) go through all the effort of moving such a quantity of very basic explosive to North Korea?

Every little bit helps when you wish to destroy your southern, democratic neighbor.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Stillie,

Yes, I was referring to the train crash explosion.  As everyone knows, it was a tremendously large explosion.

I've never heard what it was that actually exploded during the train crash, so I was just curious if anyone has thought that it could have possibly been due to the missing Iraqi explosives.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
i believe the official nk explanation on that was that they were blasting a mountian or something as part of a hydroelectric project.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Is Syria a landlocked country or do they have a shipping port? If the materials were moved from Iraq to Syria, they could have been moved onto a ship and sent to somewhere like Russia. They then couldbe unloaded and sent via train or air to North Korea. I know it seems like a stretch, but if the Russians were involved prior to us going into Iraq anything is possible. The use of these explosives would help make North Korea's nuclear weapons production easier.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#8]
The "missing" explosives in Iraq are nothing special.  Just run of the mill military explosives.  But I do wonder why Saddam needed 400 metric tons of them.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Just how much would 380 tons of RDX get in the black market arms trade?  If you consider $100/lb, that's about $38 mil.  I don't have much background with high explosives pricing, but it could be a worthwhile deal for someone.  Both the seller, who probably stole it for nothing and HAS to get rid of it fast, and the buyer who would have a chance to pick-up a large quantity of high grade explosives for a dime on the dollar.

And who says that thing with the train was an accident?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top