Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/25/2001 12:58:04 PM EDT
Here's my situation...I'm contemplating buying a house that's on 15 acres of land and has a riding ring, a stable, etc. I am not a horseback rider, nor do I have any intention of pursuing it right now as a hobby. My question is this...do you think it would be a good idea to let people board their horses there for a fee? Also, how much can one command for JUST boarding and occasionally feeding if nobody else could do it? What would be the difference if I did do the feeding, but made it their responsibility to buy the food and bring it to the property? What about stall cleaning? I guess what I'm asking is how "hands off" can one be when it comes to boarding. Also, what's the deal with liability/insurance in these scenarios? Whew...a lot of questions, I know... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Chimborazo
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:05:41 PM EDT
I grew up with horses that we boarded elsewhere... as I recall, we paid in the neighborhood of $125 /per animal full board, but WE were responsible for cleaning the stalls. The stables provided all bedding materials, feed ([i]oats, grain and hay[/i]), and rodent control. They also were responsible for the care of the arena and pastures, so thatgopher holes were not a constant threat to either horse or rider. Insurance will always be a very big expense, since you will in effect be operating a legal business on your land. Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:49:31 PM EDT
Horses take a lot of work,feed,grooming,stalling.Lots of poop to scoop and pine chips or straw to spread .Feed twice a day EVERY day. cpermd
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:30:59 PM EDT
I live in a very heavily horse populated area in SoCal. My folks place used to have a lighted arena, horse stalls, etc. All the neighbors have them. Hell, the Circle K on the corner has a hitching post and a trough. Here are some of the problems as I see it: 1. Vacations get really tough. Boarding animals is not something you can walk away from for even a few days at a time. 2. Flies! Flies! Flies! 3. Smell! Smell! Smell! 4. Liability - ie. gopher holes, spreading disease amongst boarded animals, storing other peoples' tack. I don't know. If you have a good paying job, not sure it's worth the hassle. But plenty of my neighbors make a living at it. Oh, many are going to want to store their trailers on your property too. If you don't really have a thing for horses, I don't think you will enjoy this. My .02. - Anarki
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:57:49 PM EDT
A guy where I used to work had some paints that he raced. From time to time he would take one of his brood mares to a stud, or take one somewhere for some training, schooling races, etc. He was paying about $3 a day to have them boarded. This was a few years ago and I have no idea if this is a good or bad price, but he never left them at the trainer/stud farm any longer than he was required.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:01:21 PM EDT
Well, man, seeing as how you aren't 'horsed' yourself and have no intention of becoming so, you'd be in for some rought going. 'Horse people' can be downright unpleasant to deal with, and horses themselves are, well, usually unpredictable. I speak from past and present experience; trying to run a stable without knowing horses is asking for trouble. However, not utilizing the resources at hand would be a waste. I'll suggest finding [i]one[/i]person who wants to rent your facilities to board [i]only their horses[/i], and make them completely responsible for care of the horses and upkeep of the facilities. There are plenty of horse owners that would jump at that opportunity. This minimizes the interpersonal interactions between multiple owners, not to mention the chance that one owner's horse might damage/maim/infect/kill another owner's animal. Oh, get good insurance, and be sure to figure that into your rental fee. Good Luck, shooter
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:41:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/26/2001 7:36:03 AM EDT by CAMPYBOB]
$60/month per horse for basic pasture and stable rent in my area. i have a small horse ranch, so let me dispense some free advice (about what it's worth!!!). first, horses that you are stabling are next to NO work. other than turning them out and putting them in, you can set it up that all feeding, grooming, medical care, blacksmithing, stable chores, etc. are the responsibility of the owner. second, any contract should include a clause stating that injury or death of either the horse or owner is not your concern. notarize said contract. have a rider on your homeowner's policy to cover above occurances. in other words, if you don't mind the owners on your property, basically, it's a snap. you will have to maintain good quality fences to avoid legal issues (in my state, doing such will win almost any suit brought for damages if the animals somehow get out of the fence. spraying the barn for lice once a year is a no brainer, and the modest expense can be shared by the owners. hay storage is something to consider...and a source for extra income if you buy/resell it on site. again, even if you just provide hay loft space, it can be set up so that the owner brings it in and stacks it in storage. same with straw or sawdust. build a sawdust bin and provide a few shovels and a wheelbarrow. barn safety is paramount. fortunately, lumber and nails are not that expensive. make all necessary repairs and modifications before moving horses inside. any local horse owner can advise you in this area after walking thru your barn. rodent control? it's called a "barn cat(s)! lol! and for larger ones, a .223 bull bbl. works fine! groundhog holes in the pasture are a no-no and should be filled when discovered. after the first year, this is an easy chore. now...the best part? shooting off your deck...off your porch...out of the hay mow...hunting your own woods...etc.! it's a great life! lots of physical chores to keep your butt in shape and best of all, when your bud, "mickeymouse" comes to see you, he can land the helo in the fields and you can post pics on the net!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:48:26 AM EDT
Thanks for all the input. I like the one owner idea, and after what you all have said I think it's the only way I'd do it. Not sure if this property is going to work out though...I drove by last night and the house looks like a dump. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:10:16 AM EDT
Hey, Chimborazo! Good luck. The one-owner deal sounds like the way to go. Don't let the house looking like a dump get you down. It's a bargaining point! I've never lost money buying the crappiest house in a good neighborhood. Even if you're not going to "fix and sell", you can repair/remodel the place the way YOU want it. Where-abouts is the property?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:17:05 AM EDT
It's off Rt. 5 not too far out of Richmond. I can't remember the name of the street it's on, but it's still in Henrico county so it's not too far out. We're going to look at it on Sunday along with another property in the same area. Part of the problem with buying that place is that I wouldn't really have any money left over for renovations.[V] I don't know, I'm trying to keep an open mind until I can really go over it with a fine toothed comb.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:25:29 AM EDT
Sorry I read this late... and it sounds like it may not be worth your time but here's my .02 worth. 1) Liability... I looked into this at my place and the best way to do it is to "incorporate" the barn and the boarding facilities, setting the actual acreage up as being "leased" to the corporation. This protects your personal property from being lost in a lawsuit since the injured party would only be suing the "corporation" and, therefore, could only try to seize the "corporation's assets"... leaving your house and the acreage safely out of reach. 2) A lot of barns are going for the co-op approach - a couple owners lease the space and divy up the responsibilities. The hardest job to keep filled is a stable hand because mucking stalls is a minimum wage job and it's easier to make that at McD's without breaking a sweat. Putting the responsibility on the owners eliminates all of those hassles... and you going on vacation is not a problem. What I have found is it helps if there's a male stable manager to make final decisions on certain things... too many female horse owners making decisions (and wagging tongues) and it gets ugly. [:D] For a co-op situation, the price is dependent on several factors. How many horses are you boarding? Are stalls available (stalls w/turnout are more than pasture board)? Are you providing any of the following: hay, grain, shavings? Is there hot and cold water (hot running water is a BIG bonus) in addition to electricity (a necessity)? Will you be running a separate power box out to the barn and/or will the co-op be paying the bill directly? How nice are the facilities? Is there a lighted ring? How's the footing? Are there jumps? Is it indoor? Are there trails? I think you get the picture.... your asking price is dependent on what you will provide and how attractive your facilities are to horse owners. You also would need to research your area to get an idea of competitive pricing. We have stables here that run from $60 a month (here's your field) to $350 a month (my horse's butt better get hand-wiped for that price!!). Oh.. and the $3 a day that someone referred to earlier is called "mare care." It's specifically for short term boarding at a facility where the mare is only there until she comes into estrus and is covered by a stallion. Generally she will go home after being covered to wait and see if she took. If not, she'll be sent back to the stallion farm to try again during her next heat cycle. My horses are at home and they really aren't a terrible burden. I feed round bales so they [i]always[/i] have hay and grain/water once a day. I have a semi-finished barn, but I've found they have been healthier and happier being out to pasture with access to run-ins for shelter. My neighbors (who also have horses) and I arrange our vacation schedules so they don't coincide and one can take care of the other's place while they are gone. Good luck either way. Even if you are not a horse lover like myself, there are perks to having the critters around. I have friends who, when visiting, say they love looking out the window and seeing the horses grazing... it's very peaceful.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:33:33 AM EDT
I like to bet on them. Does that count?
Top Top