Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 7:50:11 PM EDT
I think there will be trouble this time. fatalities.

www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/01/D8GNIHD00.html

Minuteman volunteers concerned about the continued flow of illegal immigrants across the border from Mexico gathered Saturday with lawn chairs, binoculars and cell phones for a new monthlong campaign aimed at raising public awareness of the issue.

A year after their first watch-and-report operation along the border in southeastern Arizona, members of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps embarked on a much larger effort in the busy migrant-smuggling corridor.

"I'm concerned about what's not being done by the government _ hasn't been done for ages, apparently," said J. Glenn Sorensen, a retired school administrator now living in Flagstaff.

Sorensen, who was not involved with the Minutemen last year, said he thinks the organization has accomplished part of its intended purpose already, "to draw national attention to an insecure border. I don't think anybody wants to close the border _ I certainly don't. Basically, I think they need to be secure."

No one in the group had any illusions about their campaign's effectiveness, since it targets a relatively short section of the border for just a month. However, it comes at a time when Congress is debating proposals seeking to reform immigration laws, which have drawn supporters of legitimizing illegal immigrants to demonstrations in cities across the country.

"This is like sticking a finger in the dike," said Ken Raymond, a retired electrical engineer and airplane mechanic from Tucson.

At a rally kicking off the effort at a remote southern Arizona ranch Saturday afternoon, politicians and activists opposing illegal immigration gave fiery speeches calling for more border control.

At least 200 mostly older men and women heard more than a half-dozen speakers praise their efforts and call the Minutemen heroes.

Don Goldwater, a Republican candidate for Arizona governor, said he had a message for President Bush.

"Build us that wall _ now!" Goldwater said, referring to a measure that would add 700 miles fences along the border. He promised that if elected, he would put illegal immigrants in a tent city on the border and use their labor to build the wall. Goldwater is a nephew of the late Sen. Barry Goldwater.

Each month, thousands of illegal immigrants cross into Arizona. So far this fiscal year, which began Oct. 1, agents have caught more than 48,000 in the area staked out this weekend, up 53 percent from the same period a year earlier.

Chris Simcox, the Minuteman group's national leader, said four watering stations placed by the group Humane Borders to keep migrants from dying in the desert will be among the sites under surveillance. Last year, more than 400 people died trying to cross the desert, many from dehydration or heat exposure, according to the U.S. Border Patrol.

"We watch them all the time," Simcox said of the water stations. "It's a great place to report illegal activities."

President Bush and Mexican President Vicente Fox support a so-called guest worker program that would allow illegal immigrants already holding jobs in the U.S. to stay.

The Minutemen Saturday arriving south of Tucson plan to patrol private ranch property about 30 miles north of the border.

The group says it plans similar exercises along the border in California, New Mexico and Texas, and along the Canadian border in Washington, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York state.

Along with their binoculars, cell phones and radios, a number wore sidearms, including state Rep. Russell Pearce, a Republican and a leading voice in the Arizona Legislature calling for a crackdown on illegal immigrants.

Those planning to patrol were under strict orders to call the Border Patrol and to avoid confronting intruders or drawing their weapons, said Simcox and Stacey O'Connell, in charge of the Arizona chapter.

Although last year's patrols were nonviolent and disciplined, there are still concerns about having armed groups in a busy trafficking area, Gus Soto, a Border Patrol spokesman, said last week.

Minuteman leaders have said that all the group's members have been screened to weed out members of racist organizations.

Still, groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union-Arizona say they're concerned over "the potential for taking actions and ... attempting to enforce immigration laws," executive director Alessandra Soler Meetze said.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Trouble?  Only when the moonbats show up.  But the rules are very strict, this is a hands off approach.  Observe and report, do not contact, do not apprehend.

Have you served in the MM project?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't mean violence done by the Minutemen.

I think some Mexican hot-head will take it upon himself to save the "honor" of his people by killing a citizen border patroller.

The Mexican press is whipping up a fury against the Minutmen and Gringos in general.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think some Mexican hot-head will take it upon himself to save the "honor" of his people by killing a citizen border patroller.

The Mexican press is whipping up a fury against the Minutmen and Gringos in general.

They better have some SERIOUS long range work.  Because most MM observers have better optics and communication.  If anyone is trying to sneak up on an observer's position, the MM observer will know it.  There isn't much one can hide behind on the AZ/MEX border.

Now in the cities and towns, sure.  But that will only look bad for the federal criminal supporters.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The ACLU is "concerned" about the laws being "enforced"   -WTF

Who are these minute men going to call to "report" these border jumpers ? ,   by the time the BP shows up the illegals will be long gone !
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Who are these minute men going to call to "report" these border jumpers ? ,   by the time the BP shows up the illegals will be long gone !

The ACLU still thinks (and that is a stretch) the MM are vigilantes.  

Ever been to the border?  Ever serve on a MM project?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Care to say if you've served on a MM project?    live close to the border?   ever been?

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Already been tried in Cali. Three shots at Minutemen from the Mexican side. All missed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"This is like sticking a finger in the dike,"

BTDT.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"This is like sticking a finger in the dike,"

BTDT.

I never said that. But it's true...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never been a MM ,  I went to school in Arizona , and have seen the problem first hand , on many camping trips to the border areas ,   my point was , that the MM have been "nutered" and are not able to effectively stop border jumpers ,   the border patroll will not be able to respond fast enough in most cases , when MM call them ,  

I was driving to Tombstone once with a carload of friends , in the middle of nowhere , 40-50 illegals ran out in front of my car in a single file line , i reported this to the border patroll 15min. later at a BP stop point , and they told us "just forget about it cause its to late to catch em"
The Mexicans treat this like a game of dodge-ball
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Not all of them make it. Here is a group the Border Patrol arrested because of the Minutemens call.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:56:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I could never be in the MM.

My hat's off to them.

They are serving our country with no legal support ,
no funding , and are remaining patient to a point I
could not hold.

Once they start handing out a
license to kill ,I'm all over it.

I'll go to the border for free,as my vacation.

They step over the line ,BAM !
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think they are down there to stop anyone or even get the BP there in time to do anything, just to show that someone is watching.  That it would be possible, if the guv't took the steps, to have the border watched or shut down.

Anyone else on here thinking of taking a couple weeks off work and volunteering?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#14]
This morning on FOX , no less, they referred to the Minute Men Project as an "anit-immigration group" on their news update segment.  They aren't ANTI-IMMIGRATION, nor is the majority in this country.  We are PRO Following the law, dammit!  Immigrants are welcome.  Just do it legal.  Jeeez.....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:47:43 AM EDT
[#15]
^ not until I can do a lil' varmit huntin down there^
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This morning on FOX , no less, they referred to the Minute Men Project as an "anit-immigration group" on their news update segment.  They aren't ANTI-IMMIGRATION, nor is the majority in this country.  We are PRO Following the law, dammit!  Immigrants are welcome.  Just do it legal.  Jeeez.....

I don't know how many times I've said that...

I don't care where you're from, if you go through the naturalization process, you're an American and you deserve to be here.

I don't care if Canadians start coming across the border, or whoever, it's not a racial/immigration issue. Anyone that jumps that border is breaking the law - I don't give a shit what race or nationality they are - I won't stand for that.

Now, if you're a Mexican, feel free to come here - just do so legally.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to say if you've served on a MM project?    live close to the border?   ever been?

Yes, yes, yes.  Some MM carry but only if they furnish proof of CC.  And only if the issuing state has a reciprocal carry agreement with the state you are in.

Most are just armed with phone, handheld or base station.  And it is a convention of high grade optics.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Can the people here just send them $25 checks?  PLease???
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:15:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I wished I lived in AZ so I could help instead of just getting pissed off and not being able to do anything about it.

Only God will be able to help the vermin if they shot one of the MM.Then it will be "Game On" IMO.

All the illegals in that pic are wearing Levi's,WTF???!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Can the people here just send them $25 checks?  PLease???

Click 'donations' on the left hand side:  www.minutemanproject.com/

Or send to:

Minuteman Project Inc.
Attn: Jim Gilchrist
P.O. Box 3944
Laguna Hills, California
92654-3944

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top