Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/24/2006 9:08:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 9:10:23 AM EDT by DigDug]
Heard it on WLS. Will look for article.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,188977,00.html

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The wife of a pastor found shot dead in his house has confessed to his murder, Tennessee police said Friday.

Mary Winkler, 32, told Alabama authorities that she killed her husband, according to Roger Rickman of the Selmer, Tenn., Police Department. She has agreed to return to Tennessee to face first-degree murder charges.

Mary Winkler was found Thursday night with the couple's three daughters in Orange Beach, Ala., 340 miles south of their home in Selmer, Tenn. She didn't resist arrest, Rickman said.

Police officials in Alabama said Mary Winkler has waived extradition and will be sent back to Tennessee Friday night or Saturday.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation agent John Mehr said authorities were charging her with murder in her husband's death after interrogating her during the night.

"We've known from the beginning that she was either a suspect or a victim," said TBI spokeswoman Jennifer Johnson.

Johnson wouldn't discuss a possible motive or reveal what Mary Winkler told authorities, but described her as "cooperative."

(Story continues below)

ADVERTISEMENTSAdvertise Here

"We felt the first-degree murder charge was warranted," Johnson told FOX News, declining to elaborate.

Matthew Winkler, 31, was found shot to death in the bedroom of his parsonage Wednesday by church members who began searching for him after he failed to show up at an evening event at Selmer's Church of Christ.

For more legal stories click here to go to FOXNews.com's Law Center.

Police said there were no signs of forced entry, but Winkler's wife and children — Breanna, 1; Mary Alice, 6; and Patricia, 8 — were gone.

"To my knowledge, the children saw nothing," said Rickman, who also declined to offer details on a possible motive.

The TBI issued an Amber Alert for the children, who had last been seen on Tuesday when their mother picked them up from school.

Orange Beach Police Chief Billy Wilkins said Friday that Mary Winkler had rented a condo on the beach but hadn't stayed there.

Assistant Police Chief Greg Duck said authorities spotted Mary Winkler as she left a Waffle House around 7:30 p.m. Thursday after picking up a carryout order. The children were in the car with her at the time.

The children's grandparents were headed to the area to ask a judge for at least temporary custody, he said.

A custody hearing was scheduled Friday afternoon in Foley, Ala., at which a Juvenile Court judge would determine whether the parents of Matthew Winkler should take custody of the three children, according to Duck.

The news of the minister's death and missing family shocked those who knew him in Selmer, a town of about 4,600 in western Tennessee.

Winkler was hired at the Fourth Street Church in February 2005, said Wilburn Ash, an elder at the church. The congregation quickly came to love his straight-by-the-Bible sermons. Church members also took to his wife, who they described as a quiet, unassuming woman who was a substitute teacher at the elementary school.

"They were a nice family," said former Selmer Mayor Jimmy Whittington, who worked with the minister collecting donations for hurricane victims last year. "They just blended in."

Mary and Matthew Winkler met at the Church of Christ-affiliated Freed-Hardeman University in Henderson, where his father, also a minister, is an adjunct professor. Matthew Winkler later transferred and graduated from Lipscomb University in Nashville.

On Thursday, members of the Selmer congregation gathered inside the one-story brick church.

"I can't believe this would happen," said Pam Killingsworth, a church member and assistant principal at Selmer Elementary.

"The kids are just precious, and she was precious," Killingsworth said. "He was the one of the best ministers we've ever had — just super charisma."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:16:31 AM EDT
I wonder why she did it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:21:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
I wonder why she did it.

Sounds like they are pursuing 1st degree murder. Definitely doesn't sound like self defense...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:22:38 AM EDT
When I first heard about it I figured it was going to be some story about him abusing her or the kids, but with a 1st Degree charge and not a 2nd Degree, you gotta wonder.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:31:34 AM EDT
She just wanted him to be happy in heaven.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:37:13 AM EDT
He probably said he was tired of her crap and she said "Oh really" and capped him.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:37:38 AM EDT
Out-of-state affair?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:40:15 AM EDT

I wonder why she did it.

No sex... duh!

Well... at least not with her anyway
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:42:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rodent:
She just wanted him to be happy in heaven.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:48:21 AM EDT
Phil Hartman syndrome...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:51:32 AM EDT
He had a gift card for Tiffany's and he didn't get her anything with it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:56:19 AM EDT

I wonder why she did it.

+1

There has to be more to the story.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:58:59 AM EDT

I wonder why she did it.

She's a crazy bitch?!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:09:22 AM EDT
These things happen!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:12:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:
These things happen!

87 times a day.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:22:32 AM EDT
"We've known from the beginning that she was either a suspect or a victim," said TBI spokeswoman Jennifer Johnson.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:24:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Treelo:

Good call, genius.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:48:38 AM EDT
All that preaching made her nutz!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:22:53 AM EDT
She could have discovered that he was doing something with their daughters ...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:38:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

Claims of abuse are not extraordinary in these types of situations.

If he actually did something like that though, I say they let her off.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:50:08 AM EDT
How about a "person of interest" in "the alleged perpetration"...sometimes you have to laugh even though it's not funny
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:53:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By triburst1:

Originally Posted By Treelo:

Good call, genius.

It should read "She either did it or didn't, but we've known that the whole time"
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:31:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LUGERMAN:
All that preaching made her nutz!!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:38:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 12:39:47 PM EDT by nightstalker]
Maybe she has a winning lottery ticket stashed somewhere?

or he's gay.

hardly any answer can be written off yet.

ETA what kind of gun did she use?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:41:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 12:43:15 PM EDT by callgood]

Originally Posted By VoodooChile:
He had a gift card for Tiffany's and he didn't get her anything with it.

Oh, shit! It's a good thing I'm wearing khakis. Coffee should blend right in.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:01:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:

Yes but how the heck could she prove it? Her creditability is lost. If my husband abused one of my kids after I emptied my magazine and what else was handy in him I would be calling the authorities telling them to come get the bastage.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:04:29 PM EDT

What makes you think that?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:12:51 PM EDT

Yes but how the heck could she prove it? Her creditability is lost. If my husband abused one of my kids after I emptied my magazine and what else was handy in him I would be calling the authorities telling them to come get the bastage.

How could she prove it?!?!?

Geez
Examine the kids.
Question them.
Not hard to do.

I unfortunately have been caught up in this shit too many times. Women trying to make their ex or soon to be ex go permanently away with claims of child molestation. Never saw one yet that had been. Nor do I have much doubt that they went somewhere else trying to get someone to jump on the bullshit cause.

That said there have been cases where I thought kids were being neglected, or abused by others and contacted Social Services who never did any damn thing at all.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:26:46 PM EDT

Geez
Examine the kids.
Question them.
Not hard to do.

I unfortunately have been caught up in this shit too many times. Women trying to make their ex or soon to be ex go permanently away with claims of child molestation. Never saw one yet that had been. Nor do I have much doubt that they went somewhere else trying to get someone to jump on the bullshit cause.

That said there have been cases where I thought kids were being neglected, or abused by others and contacted Social Services who never did any damn thing at all.

Well that's my point really. Unless the man physically raped one of the kids [or more] wouldn't it be difficult to prove abuse. I know women accuse their SOs of doing horrendous acts after leaving but you would think IF he did something and IF she killed him in an act of rage because of that she wouldn't have fled the area.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:32:27 PM EDT

Geez
Examine the kids.
Question them.
Not hard to do.

Well that's my point really. Unless the man physically raped one of the kids [or more] wouldn't it be difficult to prove abuse. I know women accuse their SOs of doing horrendous acts after leaving but you would think IF he did something and IF she killed him in an act of rage because of that she wouldn't have fled the area.

Well, I could see where a mom who found out her kids were abused and reacted out of rage to kill the SOB might panic and leave. I think women in general are far more likely to panic and less likely to act rationally.

I don't know if that was the case here or not though. Maybe there was infidelity. More likely motive I would guess. Should be interesting.
I will bet her attorney will try to persuade here to come up with some kind of abuse though. It is sad that we have to think this way but there are so many flase accusations by wives that it makes us all skeptical anytime heinous accusations are made.

In any event, if the guy did abuse the kids I still say they let her walk. Anyone who kills a child molester should get a metal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:40:49 PM EDT
I suspect in reality he was probably very well liked in his community and not so fun to live with. Mix in a little crazy, a little wacked out hormones, isolation [who can she talk too that doesn't think the sun rises and sets on her husband's shoulders] and viola -
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:49:21 PM EDT

I suspect in reality he was probably very well liked in his community and not so fun to live with.

Probably true. I could go off on the subject of clergy and their wives for some time but will refrain.

Mix in a little crazy, a little wacked out hormones, isolation [who can she talk too that doesn't think the sun rises and sets on her husband's shoulders] and viola -

Ahh, the PMS defense.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:51:48 PM EDT

I suspect in reality he was probably very well liked in his community and not so fun to live with.

Probably true. I could go off on the subject of clergy and their wives for some time but will refrain.

Mix in a little crazy, a little wacked out hormones, isolation [who can she talk too that doesn't think the sun rises and sets on her husband's shoulders] and viola -

Ahh, the PMS defense.

I'm not defending her, just trying to figure out her reasons.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:53:04 PM EDT

Ahh, the PMS defense.

I'm not defending her, just trying to figure out her reasons.

I know.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:55:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:17:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 3:18:29 PM EDT by Bubbatheredneck]

I wonder why she did it.

I would GUESS he was having an affair with the church secretary ,a divorced/going thru a divorce female he was counseling and she found out about it.

Or she was crazy and he tried to hide it in a small town and it finally blew up.

Sad all the way around.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:22:33 PM EDT
Charismatic preacher = he was dorking one of his flock. Since he isn't a Catholic preist, it was probably a female.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:25:42 PM EDT
"No more missionary position!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:26:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sandguard:
Charismatic preacher = he was dorking one of his flock. Since he isn't a Catholic preist, it was probably a female.

My dad's a preacher, and he's an extremely laid-back man. He also loves my mom more than life itself.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:32:06 PM EDT
Wow one of my buddies is the preacher's cousin.

I hate to ask him for a scoop while he's mourning though, so no inside details I s'pose.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:42:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nightstalker:
...what kind of gun did she use?

All we know for certain is that it couldn't have been a 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:09:41 PM EDT
Wow.... all that AND m@d h4xx0rZ pwning websites !

I'ma move to Tennessee, they got all the action there !
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:22:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GabbasaurusRex:

Originally Posted By Sandguard:

My dad's a preacher, and he's an extremely laid-back man. He also loves my mom more than life itself.

Doesn't mean they ALL are Gabby..... I have a very good friend who's husband was supposedly this devout, southern baptist type..... Played marriage counselor for the church, taught bible study, and all kinds of stuff..... Everybody there thought he was such a great guy....

Until she got sick of the mental and physical abuse, and built up the strength to leave....

He flipped the script and tried to off himself twice.... Once was an act for attention, second time was a buncha pills he knew wouldnt kill him anyways....

Guy was a class a scumbag in private....... used to go to prostitutes regularly, and do all sorts of other disgusting things, and then come home and treat her like absolute shit.....

Funny how people can play two totally different personalities and hide their real self so well in public....

I don't care what you DO for a living, or who you claim/pretend to BE....... ANYONE can be a total scumbag....

Anyone.....

Top Top