Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/24/2006 5:37:03 PM EDT
to call someplace in the States to order a pizza or anything?

I always wondered how the average Pizza parlor would appreciate a call from someone overseas ordering a pepperoni and mushroom pizza to someplace like 1/27th FA, Bagdhad or something along these lines.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:45:10 PM EDT
Just wrote that one down for when we deploy. Ill call my favorite pizza place back stateside and see if they deliver.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:47:26 PM EDT
Cell-phones seemed to work fine in Three Kings
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:47:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JSteensen:
Just wrote that one down for when we deploy. Ill call my favorite pizza place back stateside and see if they deliver.

Do that. If they say 'no' remind them that Domino's delivers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:53:05 PM EDT
There's a cell tower at Ali Asaleem (sp) in Kuwait, and there's cell service over most urban areas in Iraq. We would use locals cell phones now and then when I was over there last year. I say now and then, very few times, over the year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:57:55 PM EDT
I did use a sat phone to order the "liberator". You know, that thing they advertise in the back of maxim. had it sent to the wife, so it'd be there when i got home.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:29:43 PM EDT
We had cell phones in Baghdad with a local NY area code. If someone from the states called me it was as if they were calling NY city!!! I called home anytime I wanted and the wife called me alot, free during the evening. we had great internet conections in the palace also.

One of ours guys ordered Pizza from a NYC pizza joint, they packed it in dry ice and sent it to us via DHL got it the next day and warmed it up.

The pizza place was used to sending pizza around the world this way. I didn't think it was that good, my wifes home made is much better.

I also had sat phones for when out side the core of the city and it worked throughout the Middle East, Europe , but not when I got back to the states. Sent it back for some one else to use.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:41:14 PM EDT
I brought my mobile with me, for most of the tour I had no signal, since I was in the middle of nowhere. When I moved to Mosul, I got a signal. Was able to call around on it. "Hi honey! Yes, just calling you from my tank, we're in the middle of a patrol, it's kindof quiet right now, thought you'd be home..."

I have a tri-band GSM, bought to work when I visit Europe. Works in Iraq too!

NTM
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:48:41 PM EDT
I am so far out in the sticks there is no cell service, but you can use them around Kabul and Bagram and are making thier way out.

I was talking to some friends on IM one day and they were watching the race online, so I got online and had some wings delivered to them from Papa Johns.

On a side not, Afghanistan had virtually no wired telephone service 5 years ago, and the cell companies here are growing like crazy. In 5 more years expect Afghanistan to be a model of what happens when a countries phone service is all wireless.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:52:40 PM EDT
Do crazy fees not apply to armed services? My wife's uncle travels to other countries for his crane business, and he said the cell charges were super-high.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:56:04 PM EDT
also wondering about the cell charge.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:00:44 PM EDT
Please forgive this hijacking - I only do it because it may be a good cause.

A couple of weeks ago the spouse-unit and I got new cell phones.
We saved the old ones thinking we could find a place to donate them
to the troops. We have been unable to find out if that is useful or
possible, and if so where to send them off to.

Any of you guys that click on every piccolo thread, like I do, have
a contact, or info? They are Sprint, if that matters.

Again, sorry for the hijack.

DanM
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 9:23:59 PM EDT by NavajoGunOwner]

Originally Posted By GoGop:
Do crazy fees not apply to armed services? My wife's uncle travels to other countries for his crane business, and he said the cell charges were super-high.

The cell system I was on was set up by us. And thru satilites use a NYC area code. Normal travel, would have higher roaming rates. Don't if the intial system set up in 2003 is still in use. I don't call anyone I just use the net.

DanM - no idea if it would even be compatiable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:10:18 PM EDT
I was charged standard international roaming rates from Iraq to the US on the Iraqi domestic network. Not surprised.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:15:04 PM EDT
I had an IRAQNA cell phone bought off the local economy, used money cards which we bought from the haji shop.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:16:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DanM:
Please forgive this hijacking - I only do it because it may be a good cause.

A couple of weeks ago the spouse-unit and I got new cell phones.
We saved the old ones thinking we could find a place to donate them
to the troops. We have been unable to find out if that is useful or
possible, and if so where to send them off to.

Any of you guys that click on every piccolo thread, like I do, have
a contact, or info? They are Sprint, if that matters.

Again, sorry for the hijack.

DanM

www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com/pages/1/index.htm
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:23:04 PM EDT
As mentioned above, soon after the invasion, MCI (under USG contract) set up a cell phone network which covered most of the Baghdad metropolitan area. I don't know exactly how it worked (I guess satellite link or something), but the phones had New York (914) area codes, and for friends/family members calling from CONUS, it was exactly like calling a domestic long-distance number.

I never used mine to order pizza, but I did field several wrong numbers from people in New York who hit the wrong digits while dialing or whatever. One time I answered the phone and it was some guy trying to call his wife, wanting to know what time she would be home from work. He was angry and jealous to hear another man's voice answering the phone! It took me several minutes to convince him he had a wrong number and shouldn't go "kick the bitch's ass"!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:30:42 PM EDT
Chairborne. You da man. I thank you. Spouse-unit thanks you.
And hopefully a couple of GI's thank you too.

DanM
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:43:18 PM EDT
From waht I've heard they have more phone cards now than they know what to with.

I'd suggest Operation Gratitude which sends care packages to troops.

http://opgratitude.com/

They get up to $30 for each cell phone donated, and use the money to ship the care packages. I've worked with them before.

Here's the cell phone donation link:
http://www.grcrecycling.com/programs/operation-gratitude.cfm

They also take old ink cartriges:
http://www.recycleforamerica.com/
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:50:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By texas_mustang_01:
From waht I've heard they have more phone cards now than they know what to with.

I'd suggest Operation Gratitude which sends care packages to troops.

http://opgratitude.com/

They get up to $30 for each cell phone donated, and use the money to ship the care packages. I've worked with them before.

Here's the cell phone donation link:

They also take old ink cartriges:
http://www.recycleforamerica.com/

opgratitude.com/
www.grcrecycling.com/programs/operation-gratitude.cfm
www.recycleforamerica.com/

Made hot, thanks!

As for me, I will be in Iraq soon enough, although last summer/fall when I was in the ME we had enough calling cards. My favorite charity (I know the girl that runs it well ) is HOT:

www.helpingourtroops.com/
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:50:39 AM EDT
Damn! So they days of going on a 6 month deployment and only being able to call home the 4 or 5 times on liberty in a friendly port are over huh?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:53:31 AM EDT
Possession of cell phones was (probably still is) verbotten at Al Asad back in 2004.

They didn't say that you couldn't use your ham radio, though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:54:10 AM EDT
So, would this be considered roaming?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:04:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By piccolo:

Do that. If they say 'no' remind them that Domino's delivers.

Lets not forget the founder of Domino's Pizza, Tom Monaghan was a US Jarine (oorah), and this initial concept and hardcharging attitude of delivering, would eventually be his success. I know this a little off track but I've eaten my fair share of Domino's
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:13:11 AM EDT
Top Top