Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 9:01:35 PM EDT
Do soldiers stationed overseas have to obey local gun laws, if the guns stay on the base?, it seams this would be a real drag to those stationed in places like Japan....  How about other insane local laws?....

Same question for those in the US do state laws still apply, or just Federal?....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Do soldiers stationed overseas have to obey local gun laws, if the guns stay on the base?, it seams this would be a real drag to those stationed in places like Japan....  How about other insane local laws?....

Same question for those in the US do state laws still apply, or just Federal?....

The Army regulation that governs "Personal Owned Weapons" (POW) states that you must adhere to any civilian laws in the area you're in, along with whatever rules your base may have.

I had my weapons in Korea the last time I was there ('00-'03).  I was fortunate that I was stationed in Seoul, which had an on base Gun Club through which I was able to purchase .40 and .45 ammo for my pistols.

I ran the ranges for my unit, so I took my two AR's and pistols when we went, and let my Range Detail fire them after we completed qualification with the troops.

Chris

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup.  Cannot even take firearms to Germany anymore, thats why Ive never gone.  To have a firearm on post in Hawaii it MUST be registered with HPD before you can register it on post.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I had my weapons in Korea the last time I was there ('00-'03).  I was fortunate that I was stationed in Seoul, which had an on base Gun Club through which I was able to purchase .40 and .45 ammo for my pistols.

How does the club requisition non-military caliber ammo overseas like that? I am curious.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does the club requisition non-military caliber ammo overseas like that? I am curious.

Purchased it through AAFES.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top