Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 6:30:29 AM EDT
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3307303.stm

The court heard Mr Barstow went to Banbridge police station and read from a prepared statement in which he said: "At the height of the Cold War I felt I should be prepared to take a 'Minuteman' role (an irregular volunteer mustered to repel an invasion).

"At no point were my actions co-ordinated. I simply took on the responsibility for creating a small stockpile of equipment which could have been used to equip a small Home Defence Group in the early days of an invasion by the Soviet Army.

"As a result of the threat of Soviet invasion between 1948 and 1990, I have for almost 30 years kept a stock of arms, food and equipment with the intention of equipping a small resistance unit such as I have described."

I wonder if people are going to question their atttitudes against guns now.  If resistance units can inflict damage, maybe resistance with guns against all sorts of lawlessness would be good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#1]
In the next few years, there will be stories like this written about some of us here.......
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In the next few years, there will be stories like this written about some of us here.......
View Quote

You're absolutely right! But here, they will be called [red]TERRORISTS[/red] in the media.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#3]
isn't it funny over there they are very close to so many enemies over the last few decades and they have hardly any access to weapons.

But us on the other hand are armed to the teeth and no one is dumb enough (or close enough) to invade.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Will someone from britian please explain why this is bad.  I am glad they are backing us foregin policy wise but damn they are fucked up domesticaly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Will someone from britian please explain why this is bad.  I am glad they are backing us foregin policy wise but damn they are fucked up domesticaly.
View Quote
I'm not from Britain, but I finally stumbled onto the keystone(s).
When they talk about gun culture, they are using another name for what we call criminal behavior.  Their idea of gun culture is [i]not[/i] the American idea of gun culture.  Before you get angry, you should understand why that is.
Britain has a long history of being anti-individual and collectivist.  They take pride in a peaceful, civilized society.  Prior to World War II, the desire of most of the country was "Peace in our time!"   Obviously they didn't get their wish.  
The war didn't wake them up, but rather just reinforced what they already viewed guns as: weapons of war.  Since war and civil society are diametrically opposed, they have been rejecting even the tools for the most part of a century.  'Most', because they'll only tool up when they are finally persuaded they can't ignore a threat any longer.  Once again, they do this because they want to maintain a civilized society.
Of course, each time, they forget easily how hard it is to properly tool up on short notice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The 50 year old man was told to stay at his mothers house till his trial.

bwahahahahahahahha
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]
yeah, but when germany gets uppity again, they will be calling for American civilians to donate guns once again to the civvies over there.

Well, if they do, send them something evil, like an ak or an sks.

I would say fuck em, but you all know alot of us here do apprciate the fact that they support the US most of the time, and always when it's important.  We, being the charitable bunch we are would complain, but eventually send them the tools to accomplish the mission.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
yeah, but when germany gets uppity again, they will be calling for American civilians to donate guns once again to the civvies over there.

Well, if they do, send them something evil, like an ak or an sks.

I would say fuck em, but you all know alot of us here do apprciate the fact that they support the US most of the time, and always when it's important.  We, being the charitable bunch we are would complain, but eventually send them the tools to accomplish the mission.

TXL
View Quote

I don't think I will be sending any their way the next time around. Last time they destroyed most of the weapons sent over, and it is much harder to obtain them here than it was pre WWII
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:I would say fuck em, but you all know alot of us here do apprciate the fact that they support the US most of the time, and always when it's important.  We, being the charitable bunch we are would complain, but eventually send them the tools to accomplish the mission.
View Quote

F'km, if I ever was going to send guns to the UK they would be going to N Ireland to help kick out those snaggletoothed poofters.  

[img]http://www.cs.uni.edu/~okane/cs021/backgrounds/shamrock.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
[banana]

(dancing guiness not available)
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
charged with possessing 11 guns and thousands of bullets
View Quote

Amateur!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top