Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 9:54:45 AM EDT
Clause 15: To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

Clause 16: To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

So who comprises this militia?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Clause 15: To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

Clause 16: To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

By law, every able bodied male between 18 and 45(?).  I believe that this is still codified into US law.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#2]
So where is my M-16?

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By law, every able bodied male between 18 and 45(?).  I believe that this is still codified into US law.

That is from the text of the Militia Act. The Founders had a somewhat more expansive view and considered it to be the whole body of the Population. "Who are the Militia? Are they not ourselves?"

Should be as true today as it was then, but this Country has lost most of that individualistic, freedom loving spirit.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Title 10, Section 311

-CITE-
   10 USC Sec. 311                                             01/19/04

-EXPCITE-
   TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
   Subtitle A - General Military Law
   PART I - ORGANIZATION AND GENERAL MILITARY POWERS
   CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA

-HEAD-
   Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes

-STATUTE-
     (a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied
   males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section

313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a
   declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States
   and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the
   National Guard.
     (b) The classes of the militia are -
       (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard
     and the Naval Militia; and
       (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of
     the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the
     Naval Militia.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So where is my M-16?

Congress won't fund it.

The applicable portion of the U.S. Code isthis:

* United States Code
         o TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
               + SUBTITLE A - GENERAL MILITARY LAW
                     # PART I - ORGANIZATION AND GENERAL MILITARY POWERS
                           * CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA

Section 311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied
   males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section
   313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a
   declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States
   and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the
   National Guard.
     (b) The classes of the militia are -
       (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard
     and the Naval Militia; and
       (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of
     the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the
     Naval Militia.

All of us not in uniform are part of the "unorganized militia".

Damn, Yankee1911 beat me by a full minute!  (But I included a link!)
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You do. Didn't you see the memo? Today's your day to watch the border. What are you doing posting here? Get on it, man!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top