Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 10:09:45 AM EDT
Im currently active duty military and the proud owner of 6 AR's.  I just got orders to California, and what i want to know is:  Being military and on orders in CA, can i legally keep and use my ar15's in the state?  is there a waiver for military?  certainly i wont have to get rid of them.......will i?  Thanks guys.

Also im not a CA resident, nor do i plan to be.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think they can be in the state unless you registerd them a few years ago.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#2]
AFAIK, they have to be registered in California, which is pretty much impossible to do. If you want to be legal, you'll have to either replace all the lowers with those fixed magazine FAB-10 lowers, or store them all out of state somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember a military member say on here awile ago that you can get a waiver. I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#5]
There was another post recently regarding this.  It might be the firearms owner's protection act that covered this, but I'm not 100%.  Basically my understanding is that if the final destination of your trip is a place where they are legal (in this case a US military installation), then you can bring them.  You would however have to check them into the armory on post/base.

When I PCS'd to Cali, I simply left all of my non-kosher guns with my folks for that period.  If that isn't an option for you, then I would suggest bringing them and depositing them at the base armory.

I'm sure somebody else can chime in on this who has a better source of certain information regarding the laws, and if it indeed turns out to be the FOPA that allows you to bring them, I would find a govt site that contains the wording, and print it out to bring with, in case you get stopped by CHP, etc.  Also, some of the folks at your new post/base might not be up on the legal stuff either, so you might need to inform them as well.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
See page 2...

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=398381

Spot on.

Yes, you can import an otherwise evil and banned rifle.

NTM
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Check IM
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#8]
you still can't bring any mag that holds more than 10 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top