Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2014 9:31:14 AM EDT
I'm aware of a few examples, such as the F22 vs the F35 contracts. A huge amount of money was spent developing the F22. Shortly after the plane was fully developed, the contract was canceled in favor of the undeveloped F35 which is still not finished. I have heard of examples from the Navy but don't recall specifics. I am interesting in knowing about specific examples of weapons development that seems unneeded or wasteful, preferably costing in the range of billions.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Might be a good example, no?

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The fucking Comanche.  My former business partner was a test pilot on the program.  He said it was an absolutely incredible helicopter until DoD kept hanging new mission requirements on it until it finally got too heavy, slow and expensive to be useful and then shit-canned it.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fucking Comanche.  My former business partner was a test pilot on the program.  He said it was an absolutely incredible helicopter until DoD kept hanging new mission requirements on it until it finally got too heavy, slow and expensive to be useful and then shit-canned it.  
View Quote

'Requirements creep' will kill just about anything.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  That and requirements changes 3/4 the way through E&MD.  And they happen to nearly every single program.  Some are "meh" but some mean major design re-works.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Airborne Laser (ABL) was canceled after being 8 years late and 4 Billion dollars over budget.  That's pretty rough considering the budget was $500M/year, and it was a 12 year long program.  

So we spent $10B for two 747s full of laser equipment that never really worked.  

We did learn a hell of a lot about beam shaping and steering, adaptive optics, etc. and those lessons are no doubt being applied to other programs like THEL.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
EFV was a $3B boondoggle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expeditionary_Fighting_Vehicle

Crusader was about $2B spent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM2001_Crusader

None of those programs even hold a candle to the amount of waste in Afg and Irq though, we probably spent $1T+ and got absolutely nothing in return.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The ridiculous OICW/XM8 debacle comes to mind as well.  

Quoted:
EFV was a $3B boondoggle:

View Quote

What exactly killed the EFV?  I don't know anything about how development went, but it seemed like a killer capability.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#9]
A good 50% of the Military Industrial Complex is nothing more a nation sized toilet to flush money down. A government subsidy of the 1%.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Abrams that don't run on diesel
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Airborne Laser (ABL) was canceled after being 8 years late and 4 Billion dollars over budget.  That's pretty rough considering the budget was $500M/year, and it was a 12 year long program.  

We did learn a hell of a lot about beam shaping and steering, adaptive optics, etc. and those lessons are no doubt being applied to other programs like THEL.
View Quote

Everything on the ABL worked except the power output of the kill laser.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought Abrams used Jet-A.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The US military uses JP8 for everything. It would be idiocy for it to use a different kind of fuel for tanks.

Logistics matter.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That project had to have been oversold by someone.  The problem is incredibly complicated, besides figuring out how to make a giant laser.

View Quote

No doubt.  I think at the end it managed to "shoot down" or at least put enough energy on a TBM in boost phase at 50 miles, but it was never going to do it at 150-200 miles.  The sad part is with today's fiber optic laser arrays they could probably generate enough energy to do what it was supposed to.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup..."Oh man...that's awesome...hey...think we can add <anythingandeverything>"

"Sure...we'll get right on it..."

.mil is part of the blame, fucking contractor trying to be the good customer instead of "Umm...no...we've pretty much reached the limits" is the other issue. Greed gets 'em.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JP8, which is really similar to Jet-A1 and most turbines will happily burn DF-2 as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#17]
F35
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The US military uses JP8 for everything. It would be idiocy for it to use a different kind of fuel for tanks.

Logistics matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Logistics matter.

The Navy uses JP5.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
F35
View Quote

What's $1.2T between friends?  It's only been Nunn-McCurdy'd about three times, and still keeps on keeping on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#20]
What was the name of the armored tracked theater air defense system that never got deployed
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What was the name of the armored tracked theater air defense system that never got deployed
View Quote

M247 SGT York.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Its not just weapons but systems procurement too.

We have a system in my field that has been around since the mid-1990s and no one uses it. We all say no one uses it but the contract still keeps coming up for maintenance and renewal. Everything it does we do in MS Office
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

M247 Sergeant York.  

IMHO, it mainly was stupid because they used the wrong kind of gun.  A mobile 25-30mm gatling gun with a selectable rate of fire would have been more suited to killing aircraft, and could have a slower rate of fire option for use against soft targets and light armor.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#24]
One of our material purchasing guys went in great detail about his way to get the .gov to buy sports cars as material for an aircraft program.  He was convinced he could hide what he did in plain sight and that $80k would disappear in the millions spent.

I haven't seen him driving a sports car yet though
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Ground Combat Vehicle - an 88-ton (and counting) replacement for the 30-ton Bradley.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Atomic Hand Grenade.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

JP8, which is really similar to Jet-A1 and most turbines will happily burn DF-2 as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I was going.
Jet fuel is essentially diesel.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ground Combat Vehicle - an 88-ton (and counting) replacement for the 30-ton Bradley.
View Quote

88 TONS?  Are they buying it from Jawas?

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm aware of a few examples, such as the F22 vs the F35 contracts. A huge amount of money was spent developing the F22. Shortly after the plane was fully developed, the contract was canceled in favor of the undeveloped F35 which is still not finished. I have heard of examples from the Navy but don't recall specifics. I am interesting in knowing about specific examples of weapons development that seems unneeded or wasteful, preferably costing in the range of billions.
View Quote

The F-22 and the F-35 were intended to complement each other like the F-15 and F-16. High - Low mix.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Except that a ton of stuff from that program is on the current helicopter fleet.

Quoted:
Quoted:

M247 SGT York.

Not a theater air defense system.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The F-22 and the F-35 were intended to complement each other like the F-15 and F-16. High - Low mix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except the F-16 didn't cost $60M to the F-15s $40M.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I kinda think that tech may be used as a BMD at one of the national labs, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5KY9nxyegatnNTOaa8ch-Td1Bz-yOg-MEeVjL5aX4n7UkrxMt5Q

LOL

When you emphasize survivability over lethality and mobility, you get an 88-ton behemoth.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Except that a ton of stuff from that program is on the current helicopter fleet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

M247 SGT York.

I think it was actually meant to go to Division level.

But, pretty sure that's the "armored tracked" system he was asking about.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
LOL

When you emphasize survivability over lethality and mobility, you get an 88-ton behemoth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5KY9nxyegatnNTOaa8ch-Td1Bz-yOg-MEeVjL5aX4n7UkrxMt5Q

LOL

For perspective...a fully loaded Abrams is about 75tons.

88 tons? That's nuts.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Not quite expensive as other projects, but the next best thing ever ever

By 1996? I can't wait!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

88 tons? That's nuts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

88 tons? That's nuts.

Yep.  And, thankfully, the Army is going to kill it and pour the money into lifecycle upgrades to the Bradley (which works juuuust fine).  In fact, the ursprung of the GCV program was the fact that the Bradley cannot carry a full infantry squad.  So, in order to carry ~9 fully laden soldiers, you need this monstrosity.  I heard rumor from the MCoE that they're looking at decreasing the size of an infantry squad, so suddenly the Bradley makes sense again.

Nuts-o.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not quite expensive as other projects, but the next best thing ever ever

http://youtu.be/KVRyY5QH9Lo

By 1996? I can't wait!
View Quote

One of the side effects of reunification.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

M247 SGT York.

It was -  I probably misused "theater" in that sense.  Hell, today that would probably be called "Mobile Upper Battlespace Kinetic Deterrence Delivery System"   The MUBKDDS  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Imagine how many more troops we could have in service today and how many more capable weapons platforms we could have bought had we not squandered many billions of dollars over the past couple of decades developing shit that never even got put into service. How many extra BCTs could have right now with just the money wasted on the Comanche, the Crusader, FCS, A-12 Avenger, EFV, etc?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

88 tons? That's nuts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

88 tons? That's nuts.

Because he is wrong. With max armor package it would weigh 68 tons. But the vehicle is designed to change packages against threats.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because he is wrong. With max armor package it would weigh 68 tons. But the vehicle is designed to change packages against threats.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

88 tons? That's nuts.

Nope...not wrong.  (Looks out window, waves to buddies in GCS)
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It was -  I probably misused "theater" in that sense.  Hell, today that would probably be called "Mobile Upper Battlespace Kinetic Deterrence Delivery System"   The MUBKDDS  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

M247 SGT York.

In the Army sense for ADA, "theater' is used for systems that pretty much stay in one place and can provide coverage for an entire theater.  They are designed to be assets of the theater commander, not assigned to maneuver forces.

I've also seen it used the way I assume you meant it - as an opposite of strategic - essentially meaning "deployable" for use in a combat theater.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

68 tons is still fucking ridiculous for an OTMBT ground combat vehicle.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#46]
There's no such thing as military waste. The military is the only part of govt that is efficient.

Even if there is waste, it's not really waste, because that waste keeps us safe at night.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Key words: "were" and "intended".
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

88 tons? That's nuts.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140123/DEFREG02/301230041/US-Army-Chief-Confirms-Ground-Combat-Vehicle-Dead-Now-

Says 70 here...which...for a fucking APC is still amazingly high.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know, you're correct. We understood what he meant, but what he said is not what he meant.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#50]
MEADS
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top