Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2007 12:41:02 PM EDT
Someone told me this, that each color means something in particular.  What do they mean?
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Someone told me this, that each color means something in particular.  What do they mean?

Lavender means "you didn't ask, but I'm telling anyway."
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Purple smoke means teh ghey
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
White means "bring more cheetos."
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
He was full of shit.

You use multiple colors to keep the bad guys from spoofing you.  You ALWAYS make the other guy tell you what color smoke HE sees, too.

Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the IR smoke.

way stealthy
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
If it starts out one color then turns gray, you have set the brush on fire and should leave the area.

Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Brown means "Oh ***".
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on what the "loose a page out of this book, go to Ft. Leavenworth for the next ten years" codebook sez for that day.
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If it starts out one color then turns gray, you have set the brush on fire and should leave the area.

Ask me how I know.  

sounds like my childhood.

Don't ask..................and yet they still sell me guns,
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Ummm, so I'm thinking he was full of sh**?
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It only means something to someone that you have radio contact in the green with and then only for a short time and rarely will the same color mean teh same thing twice
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It only means something to someone that you have radio contact in the green with and then only for a short time and rarely will the same color mean teh same thing twice

Hmmm, thats interesting.  The guy that told me this is a former Air Force C2 Systems Engineer, so I figured it was legit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends on what the color is designated as per the Warning Order and Op Order.
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Each unit designates the meaning and purpose for each color (white tends to be used to mask movement/confuse enemy, etc. only). Sometimes each mission may dictate different color signals for different meanings (lift & shift fire, phase line reached, extract, etc.). See also uxb's response, oporder/warning order.

In other situations, different colors are meant to mark positions to aircraft to verify that the force on the ground popping smoke is who they say they are.

In peacetime red typically meant that there is an injury and all training is to be halted until the injury is addressed. It may be the same in this war, but I can't say I know.

Sua Sponte,
Prib

Link Posted: 10/16/2007 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Each unit designates the meaning and purpose for each color (white tends to be used to mask movement/confuse enemy, etc. only). Sometimes each mission may dictate different color signals for different meanings (lift & shift fire, phase line reached, extract, etc.).

In other situations, different colors are meant to mark positions to aircraft to verify that the force on the ground popping smoke is who they say they are.

In peacetime red typically meant that there is an injury and all training is to be halted until the injury is addressed. It may be the same in this war, but I can't say I know.

Sua Sponte,
Prib

That sounds about right from everything I've studied.  Your first comment about units designating colors before entering an engagement sounds like that might have been what this guy was talking about.
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Purple smoke means teh ghey

Goofy Grape!
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#17]
For general position marking, you pick the color and the other guy identifies it.

For specific signals, at specific times, for specific units, you use the color for that unit, for that time, that is listed in the SOI.  Forgot about that, it has been a while.

(Yes, I was a flag waver.)

Link Posted: 10/16/2007 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#18]
i prefer rainbow smoke colors when i need an evac
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ask me how I know.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2007 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Let me tell you that a yellow smoke grenade will disperse an angry mob of Iraqis pretty fast  My guess is they think its some Chem-weapon mustard gas.  Either way its a damn good trick play.

The color of a smoke grenade is for signals, and what they mean is determined by the signal plan.  That changes pretty damn often, but White Smoke is usually to conceal your movement, more than sending signals.
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
HC with a little WP can certainly mask a position and quickly.
amazing how quick that stuff builds up.

Sylvan, whats HC?  And do they still use willey-pete in grenades?
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me how I know.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2007 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Where does one buy smoke grenades?

I think they are really not worth having...I have personally set more than one fire with a tactically employed smoke grenade.  We always have enough troops present to go stomp them out, but for the casual SHTFer, just not worth it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ask me how I know.  

My unit managed to destroy several hundred acres of brush at Ft Huachuca that way in 87.  The bright side was the helo pilot could not claim he didn't see our smoke...
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HC with a little WP can certainly mask a position and quickly.
amazing how quick that stuff builds up.

Sylvan, whats HC?  And do they still use willey-pete in grenades?

HC = hexachoroethane.

HC smoke is a mixture of equal amounts of hexachloroethane, zinc oxide, and approximately 7% grained aluminum or aluminum powder. Upon combustion, the mixture produces zinc chloride, which rapidly absorbs moisture from the air to form a grayish white smoke. More humid air results in thicker smoke. Other chemicals also are released in the combustion process, such as chlorinated hydrocarbons (eg, phosgene), chlorine gas, carbon monoxide, and several other compounds.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top