Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2004 6:00:08 PM EDT
If you could do it all over again, would you pick the same job?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd have stayed in.  The job was fine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Infantry?
Yes.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
wouldve stayed in...job was awesome
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Infantry?
Yes.

I'm sorry to say this but, Cincinnatus, changing your avatar is just blasphemy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont mind what I do but I kinda got to itch to become a MP
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Infantry?
Yes.

Really?
How come?

I thought I needed a new look.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
would have got in earlier
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Infantry?
Yes.

Really?
How come?

Can't recognize you right off the bat!  I've actually got to be not lazy and look at your name!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think I would of been a radio operator for a infantry unit again.  That prc-77 was a heavy bitch after a long hump and RO's didn't have a good survival rate in combat also.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I retired from the army 10 years ago. If I could, I'd still be on active duty. The smell of diesel exhaust in the motor pool, the FTXs, running PT at oh-dark-thirty, getting drunk and chasing German pussy...

Hell yes, I'd do it again!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I echo the sentiments about staying in.  Those experiences cannot be had by any other profession.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't think I would of been a radio operator for a infantry unit again.  That prc-77 was a heavy bitch after a long hump and RO's didn't have a good survival rate in combat also.

Yeah, but you really didn't have much choice.  An RO is placed in that position.  Personally, I picked my BEST troop to be RO.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Infantry?
Yes.

Really?
How come?

Can't recognize you right off the bat!  I've actually got to be not lazy and look at your name!

Be patient.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I retired from the army 10 years ago. If I could, I'd still be on active duty. The smell of diesel exhaust in the motor pool, the FTXs, running PT at oh-dark-thirty, getting drunk and chasing German pussy...

Hell yes, I'd do it again!

+1 that's a ten on the rogometer!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]
16 yrs in and lovin' it!  The only thing I would have done differently, is I wouldn't have volunteered for recruiter duty....some of the people I've had to deal with have soured my outlook on todays' youth.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes but damn glad I don't have to go through it again.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Infantry?
Yes.

Really?
How come?

Be patient.

Yeah but over time you get used to looking at an avatar and think, "...hey, that's Cincinnatus!"
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#19]
On track and wouldn't change a thing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yes but damn glad I don't have to go through it again.  

Roger that.  There are a few things I wouldn't want to endure again.  Like the Buddy Rappel in Mountain phase of hooah school.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
On track and wouldn't change a thing.

Well, you're an exception to this thread.  I think you definitely picked the right MOS and represent it well.  I look forward to your military expertise in the HoH threads.

Keep up the good work, hooah!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
GRUNTGRUNTGRUNTGRUNTGRUNTGRUNTGRUNTGRUNTGRUNTGRUNTGRUNTGRUNTGRUNT

Ya, you betcha. I would have gone active sooner and done more stuff, but I had a ball and am proud of what I accomplished. I can't imagine not having been a US Army Infantry Soldier.

Shit where else beside Arkansas can you say you were proud to have been a Hog Humper?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Job, no.  Preparation beforehand, yes.

Having met you -  I'd say you'd have fared quite well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ya, you betcha. I would have gone active sooner and done more stuff, but I had a ball and am proud of what I accomplished. I can't imagine not having been a US Army Infantry Soldier.

A man with true spirit!  Follow Me!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Wish I wouldve gone combat arms, nothing but envy for those guys even though Ive had my share of hooah moments.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Job, no.  Preparation beforehand, yes.

Having met you -  I'd say you'd have fared quite well.

I have you pegged - you are a BS artist of the First Degree

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I would have stayed in longe.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Wish I wouldve gone combat arms, nothing but envy for those guys even though Ive had my share of hooah moments.

That's what I've heard most.  Thanks for wanting to do more!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I would have stayed in longer.

+10 Me too.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I would have gone Infantry.

One of the biggest regrets in my life was not going Infantry.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I would have gone Infantry.

One of the biggest regrets in my life was not going Infantry.

Yes sir, but you still hold the nobility of being a combat vet!  Thank you for your service!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

No. I would have gone USMC rather than USN.

Not a slam against my beloved Navy, but I think I would have had more fun...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I would have picked armor first instead of infantry, or at least tried for a posting at a mech unit instead of light.  Would have had more of a chance to have gone to the Gulf if I had.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I would have applied myself better in college, but being in the military is good, God has blessed me and my family, all thanks to Him. I will probably retire at 20.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. I would have gone USMC rather than USN.

Not a slam against my beloved Navy, but I think I would have had more fun...

I believe you would have.  But I know a combat Navy vet of the Korean conflict who elevated my appreciation for you Navy boys.  We need ya'll.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I would have picked armor first instead of infantry, or at least tried for a posting at a mech unit instead of light.  Would have had more of a chance to have gone to the Gulf if I had.

lol - and a lot less humping!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I would have applied myself better in college, but being in the military is good, God has blessed me and my family, all thanks to Him. I will probably retire at 20.

Thank you for your service!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I dont mind what I do but I kinda got to itch to become a MP

Ignore it.

Seriously.

I have been an air support operation operator and an MP doing LE work. MP duty sucks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#42]
When I was a weapons loader... I didn't dig the Air Force that much.  But had I not been a 2W1 I would have never found out about being a Gunner on H60's .  

Yeah, I wouldn't change a thing...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#43]
If I had it all to do again and could chose I would have been an air defense operator instead of air support.

I also would have kept extending in the far east.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Would have enlisted before going to West Point.
would have gone infantry straight off instead of engineers.
Other than that,
Regrets, I've had a few.  But, all in all, too few to mention
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol - and a lot less humping!

Well, that too...but to be honest we choppered around a lot more than we humped.  I just felt like tits on a boar hog with all my friends from college in armor, mech, ADA and hell, even MP units over in Saudi and Kuwait while I defended Hawaii from Kim Il Sung...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#46]
If I could turn back the clock about 15 years, I would have retrained into the Contracting career field.

They get nice SRBs in each of the three zones and every contractor I used to work with that has retired, has come back as a GS-11 or 12 the next week in the exact same job .
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#47]
The only mistake I made was getting out after my first hitch, but I corrected that in short order a long time ago and I am starting my third decade of service... I have had the chance to wear the uniform of three different branches and work closely with a fourth.

I have no regrets, some things I wonder if I did right, but no looking back and certainly no regrets. It tests you at times and the military is a strange thing... the best and happiest times of my life, as well as the most gut wrenching hurt I have ever known are all part of the life (but then, I guess I dont know much else?).

I have to say, without getting too syrupy, that The Good Lord has been a big help... and a special girl who has had more than her share of "waiting" help make it even more special -- But hey, I joined at 17 and have to look back at 40 now, my closet look like a surplus store and when people call me by my first name it goes right over my head

I can say that I look forward to settling down in one place, but man am I glad I took this course to get there...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The only mistake I made was getting out after my first hitch, but I corrected that in short order a long time ago and I am starting my third decade of service... I have had the chance to wear the uniform of three different branches and work closely with a fourth.

I have no regrets, some things I wonder if I did right, but no looking back and certainly no regrets. It tests you at times and the military is a strange thing... the best and happiest times of my life, as well as the most gut wrenching hurt I have ever known are all part of the life (but then, I guess I dont know much else?).

I have to say, without getting too syrupy, that The Good Lord has been a big help... and a special girl who has had more than her share of "waiting" help make it even more special -- But hey, I joined at 17 and have to look back at 40 now, my closet look like a surplus store and when people call me by my first name it goes right over my head

I can say that I look forward to settling down in one place, but man am I glad I took this course to get there...

Bra-vo!  Outstanding.  You're a good man.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Still active duty, no plan to leave.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I just discounted 7 votes because I know none of you would have stayed out if given the chance to do it all over again.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top