Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 10:37:22 AM EDT
OK, forgive me...I'm sure that this is probably obvious to many of you.

What is the squarish bracket sort of thingy that you see on the front of the helmets of our guys in Iraq. I'll dig up a pic if nobody knows what I'm talking about.

I'm betting a mount for a video cam or something, but that's just my wild guess.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I finally had to break down and ask...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#1]
For night vision binocs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
(hint) [:)]

[img]http://www.arng.army.mil/guard_images/equipment/Personal_Equipment/pvs7-crop%20out%20weapon.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
They are also working on a HUD type system to attach with a small cam mounted on the rifle.  This will be for urban combat situations and shooting around corners.  The Germans tried something in WWII for that purpose by bending the barrel on a mauser 90 degrees left and mounting a mirror at the bend.  This way the guy could shoot around corners and use his sights.  It didn't last.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Night Vision! Now I feel much better.

I knew about the cam stuff on the Land Warrior system, but didn't think that that was in place yet.

Thanks guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top